Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts

45K views 84 replies 19 participants last post by  WheresWaldo 
#1 ·
Over the past couple of months I was looking for easy ways to mount my newly acquired Sony HDR-AZ1VR Mini Action Cam to my bicycles. Sony like all other action cam manufacturers do not have a lot of options for mounting. The ones they do have have to be universal and adjustable so they tend to be big and heavy not to mention ugly.

With all the hoopla about 3D printing, I did a lot of research and found that 3D printed parts can be every bit as strong as injection molded parts and weight-weenie light. So I set about refreshing my mechanical drawing skills, took a look at what I needed and went about designing my own mounts.

Before you all say we don't need another mounting system, please note that I did not make up a new one. The GoPro is ubiquitous, there are more mounting options and cheaper mounts than any other brand. I based my designs on directly adapting the original manufacturers mounting system to the GoPro system. This opens up a world of possibilities as to where you can put your action cam.

I am not trying to duplicate existing mounts or adapters, just fill in a niche where things could be infinitely more weight conscious or where there are no alternatives. My intent was to have the parts I needed to get where I wanted with the least number of adapters, the sturdiest vibration free mounts and of course the least amount of weight. I thought that if I could use such items, maybe some of my RBR acquaintances could use them also. I am not trying to be the next big thing, just filling a space with one-off parts that no one else wants to make themselves. I do not make these items myself, that I leave to Shapeways. They take care of everything, shipping direct to whoever buys from them.

Here is a link to my Shapeways page and a few pictures of some of the items I have designed: The Revolutionaries on Shapeways

27.2 mm Seat Post Mount
31.6 mm Seat Post Mount
2009-12 Cannondale Synapse Seat Post Mount

Contour T-Rail Direct to GoPro Mount
Sony HDR-AZ1 Direct to GoPro Mount
Di2 Junction 'A' Bolt-On QR Clip

Sony Live-View Remote to Garmin Quarter-turn Mount
Ion Air Pro CamLOCK Direct to GoPro Mount
Garmin Virb Direct 25.4 mm Seat Post Mount

This is just a small sample of stuff no one else makes. The images are in random colors to show what Shapeways can do. Like I said, I use them and some guys at MTBR have purchased some of the mounts too. I understand that DIY has an appeal, but why kludge some stuff together when you can just use a single mount conversion. I am constantly adding stuff that I feel I can use, but I am also open to suggestions. If you know what you want, and can describe it or draw it I can see if its something I want to tackle.

Just a couple of notes: If you wanted to mount a Contour Roam 3 on a 27.2 mm seat post you could use the mount, direct to GoPro T-Rail adapter and two M3 x 16 mm socket head cap screws with nylon insert lock nuts (hardware is not included with my mounts) and the total weight would be approximately 18 grams. And that is with Stainless Steel bolts and nuts! Contour does not make a seat post mount but you could use the Contour 2755 Flex Strap Mount at 36 grams provided it doesn't interfere with you pedal stroke. To front mount, if you have something like a K-Edge Garmin mount, the T-Rail adapter weighs just 3 grams.

With regard to strength, these parts are made out of nylon, it is a very strong material used by some F1 race teams on various parts. It is made using a process called Selective Laser Sintering (SLS for short). Each part is build up layer by layer in a block of nylon powder. A laser then melts selected areas of the nylon fusing it to the layer below. After the process is complete the cooled parts are removed from the block of nylon powder, cleaned, polished and dyed.

Some but not all of the stuff I have drawn up is available on Thingiverse for those adventurous to try 3D printing for themselves. Just be prepared for a lot of trial and error and reprints. There are also no support structures included with the Thingiverse files so there will be a lot of prep work before you have a perfectly usuable print.

I do know that Raceware in the UK (mostly focused on computer mounts) is doing the same kind of stuff, their process is 100% exact to what I have here and what Shapeways is already doing. I have used my own parts for several months and I wanted to share this with the rest of the cycling community, So far I have focused primarily on Action Cams and their mounting options, but if you visit the links above you will see there are a number of other things I have done. Some of the stuff have been the result of requests from other people, the bolt-on Di2 clip for example. As long as I have physical access to something that needs a mount it likely can be adapted and recreated in 3D drafting software and hence printed. One of the nice things about the Shapeways process, is that you can actually build parts that cannot be CNC machined or injection molded.

I also want to extend an invitation to others who may have made up bits and pieces and post them here too. Whether you printed it yourself or had a service do it for you, I would love to see it.

Thanks to everyone.

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice looking designs, Bud. I do CNC machining and work from solid models as well, but your rapid prototyping is way faster, though my parts are in metal or could be stronger engineering plastics. Is the nylon layered result you get as strong as if it were machined from nylon bar stock? The one place I have doubts about the integrity of the part would be those rotating mounts on the Garmin GPS. They get real tight upon rotation and may break. I had a Virb for a few days before discovering it was faulty (returned it) and mounting it either front or rear was a real pain. Of course I wanted a clean simple mount, and nothing available met that requirement.

#5 ·
Very nice looking designs, Bud. I do CNC machining and work from solid models as well, but your rapid prototyping is way faster, though my parts are in metal or could be stronger engineering plastics. Is the nylon layered result you get as strong as if it were machined from nylon bar stock? The one place I have doubts about the integrity of the part would be those rotating mounts on the Garmin GPS. They get real tight upon rotation and may break. I had a Virb for a few days before discovering it was faulty (returned it) and mounting it either front or rear was a real pain. Of course I wanted a clean simple mount, and nothing available met that requirement.
I have had no issues with the layered nylon, and I am constantly trying to push the limits of how thin and light you can actually make this stuff. There are things you simply can't do with CNC or even injection molding that can be done with SLS. Charge Bikes is even printing lugs and dropouts using the same method (in Titanium of course). I use several things I have made on the Garmin quarter-turn mount, I wouldn't try mounting everything on it, but for most stuff it is more than adequate. This all started because I didn't want to use this crappy solution.

Product Gun Line Black Grey

Why anyone would want to mount that on their bike just baffles me. So I started with a Cannondale Synapse and the need for a GoPro style mount. Of course the Synapse is a 2010, right in the middle of the aero seat post era for Cannondale. and I needed something light for my EVO. Then I had a friend with a Felt who wanted something. It has grown from there.

Do you have or can you come up with a solution for mounting a Cygolite Expilion light to some "aero-wing" handle bars?

This is the mount that fits normal bars:
Locktite Handlebar Bracket for Expilion, Metro, Streak, Pace

These are the bars I have:
https://www.google.com/search?q=S-W...lized%2Fsworks-new-bars-310580-3.html;640;480

As you can see, something as thin as the Garmin mount would work but the Cygolite mount is too wide to go beside the stem.
I just haven't done anything for the front end of a bike, I have been focused (pun intended) on action cams mounted to seat posts. It might be something I look into in the future, but I cannot promise anything. This is a hobby, not my job.

That's nice stuff! Best I've ever done is print spacers so round mounts work on a rounded square Giant stem.

Looks like you have a few of them on Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects any chance you'd post all of them there? I can see a few of them would be difficult to do with out a real good printer.
No, I will not put all of my designs on Thingiverse. Many will make it there, but not all. I generally only put primary designs there, once I know it works and start refining the overall look, I want to keep those for myself. With regard to aero posts, those designs are proprietary to the bicycle manufacturers and as such could land me in trouble if I were to post the CAD files online. I have no intention of doing that. Right now I am reverse engineering the ones I have in my possession.

As far as home printing, I did not include any support structures and some things have overhangs, so it would be difficult to print these using an FDM printer.

@everyone - I hope I answered all your questions.

#3 ·
#8 ·
I have thought about this and have a few ideas.

... our local library has decided to experiment with 3D... circulating a couple of machines around the branches to get feedback if it would be a viable asset.
Different printing methods used here. That said, great for prototyping. There are a few things that can be printed with powder and sintering that cannot be done with a CNC machine or with an FDM printer. Also detailed and high fill count prints take a long time and generally libraries limit you to about two hours at a time. There are numerous repositories of 3D print files on-line, you could download something simple and try it for yourself. I will tell you one thing, you cannot compare pricing to injection molded parts made to be sold in the tens of thousands or more. This is a one at a time process. My seat post mounts could not be injection molded or CNC milled because of hidden filleting and hollowing out for both strength and lightweight.

#9 ·
#17 ·
Give me a week, I have to test my Garmin quarter-turn socket, once I have that in hand I can create a mount exactly as you describe.
No rush. Just something I was always curious of having. There are a few companies out there making this type of mount. Most seem to be modular CNC alum and not a single piece design.

IB13: WoMo Pulls Double Duty With New Dual Mount for Garmin, Gopro, Cateye, Lights and more
Singletrack Magazine | Sea Otter: Tate Labs' SLi Fly GPS & Camera Mount
Garmin GoPro Zephir Stem Mount - Superstar Components
SOC14: Barfly Debuts Alloy SLi Fly Garmin Mounts with Integrated GoPro Mounting & More

#18 ·
Di2 Junction A Clip Error

@tlg, I should have some new stuff up next week

@ everyone who bought a Di2 Clip, there was a small error in the design, and a 1 mm notch was missing on each slot the SM-EW90 slides into. Here is a picture that illustrates the error.
Product Technology Line Parallel Composite material

If you ordered one, you have several options:
  1. Keep the clip and make the small modification shown
  2. If your part isn't in production, cancel your order, then re-order in a couple of days when I have the corrected files uploaded.
  3. Contact Shapeways Customer Service and ask for a refund because the part doesn't fit, then reorder in a couple of days when I have the corrected files uploaded.

I have contacted Shapeways support and I will work with them to correct the error and make sure everyone who ordered one is happy.

#21 ·
Stem Cap/Bolt for everyone to print and/or modify.

Was fooling around a bit and created this for all you weight conscious cyclists. It is not in my shop but is available to anyone who has or has access to a 3D printer. It is a combination stem cap and M6 Bolt. It cannot be used to preload the headset bearings, but is ideal for anyone wanting to shed a few grams of weight. Just to avoid confusion, yes the cap is concave!

To make it easier for people to use and modify I have included the IGES and STEP files for modifying.

Wood Line Orange Tan Maroon

Low Profile Stem Cap - Youmagine
Fancy Bicycle Stem Top Cap (now includes IGES & STEP files) by WheresWaldo - Thingiverse

#22 ·
would it be at all possible to make a Virb rear facing mount that works the the Giant TCR Advanced SL aero ISP? The seat rail clamp is too large to use a K-Edge seat rail clamp and I'm having a hard time finding other solutions for rear facing cameras. If need be I can send in some the ISP spacers which are exactly the same dimensions as the ISP itself.

Great work so far. These items are filling niche needs very well.

JP
jpcoates at gmail dot com

#24 ·
10% off at Shapeways

Shapeways had some site issues this week so they sent registered users this code for 10% off a single order. If you wanted to try something out and save a bit of change use the code below, it is valid until April 15 at 11:59 PM PDT

THANKYOU10

At the same time, look at the new stuff i have up on Shapeways, lots of Garmin Virb items.

#25 · (Edited)
#26 ·
Virb to GoPro Mount Adapter 3D printer files.

If you have the need for a Virb to GoPro adapter and don't want to buy a whole set of mounts. You have or have access to a 3D printer. I have posted the print files for a version of the same. It uses the Virb thumbscrew and an M4 acorn nut or M4 nylon insert lock nut on the Garmin side and the standard GoPro style thumbscrew on the other.

Virb to GoPro Mount Adapter on YouMagine
Virb to GoPro Mount Adapter on Thingiverse

Just my way of saying thanks.

#28 ·
New Item: Di2 Junction 'A' Clip / 5 mm Headset Spacer Combo

This is for those of us that do not want to use any starps, ties or tape to hold on their Di2 Junction 'A' box. It is a combination of a 5 mm headset spacer and the slide on clip. This differs from other clips as it is angled 17° so the junction is mounted parallel to the ground. If you are willing to give up 5 mm of saddle to handlebar drop, this is for you. Designed to fit 1.125" (28.6 mm) fork steerer tubes.

Di2 Junction 'A' Clip / 5 mm Headset Spacer

#35 ·
This is for those of us that do not want to use any starps, ties or tape to hold on their Di2 Junction 'A' box. It is a combination of a 5 mm headset spacer and the slide on clip. This differs from other clips as it is angled 17° so the junction is mounted parallel to the ground. If you are willing to give up 5 mm of saddle to handlebar drop, this is for you. Designed to fit 1.125" (28.6 mm) fork steerer tubes.
I see you have a 10° version of this too. But it says "Designed for 31.8 mm fork steerer tubes" Is it really for a 1.25" steerer?
Di2 Junction 'A' Clip / 5 mm Headset Spacer 10° (8RZ9D9R8A) by bud_hammerton

#30 · (Edited)
Combo Edge/Virb Handlebar mount.

I actually came up with a better solution for Virb/Edge owners. It is a combo Edge on top, Virb flat mount on the bottom, you have to supply your own insert and lock ring. Here is what it looks like:
Serpent Drawing Illustration Animation Graphics
Smoking accessory Circle Cylinder Still life photography
Paper Household supply Security Paper towel holder Toilet roll holder
Fruit Produce Banana family Kitchen utensil Natural foods

31.8 Edge/Virb Handlebar Left Side Mount on Shapeways
31.8 Edge/Virb Handlebar Right Side Mount on Shapeways
26.0 Edge/Virb Handlebar Left Side Mount on Shapeways
26.0 Edge/Virb Handlebar Right Side Mount on Shapeways

Since not all cyclists ride with the same equipment, the one pictured above mounts to the left of the stem. I also have one that mounts to the right of the stem. It is long enough to mount an Edge 1000, as it is just a few millimeters longer than the K-Edge XL. I may in the future make a shorter one. There is also a version specific to 26 mm road bars. It differs somewhat from the original design, pictured above, as the Garmin now sits below the top of the handlebars rather than above it.

One thing I love about Garmin's Flat mount, is that fact that you can rotate the camera 360° besides tilting it up and down. Think about a cam that is facing 15° skew from forward and the view you could have during a race or event, not the same looking straight ahead view. Matter of fact, I like this arrangement so much I am experimenting with a GoPro Insert to replace the Virb insert so I can skew my Sony action cams and point it more toward the middle of the road rather than down the gutter/ditch.

I am also toying with the idea of building something like this for TT/TRI bikes that use bar extensions. I have a PedalForce Aeroblade and have done the Charlotte Motor Speedway Time Trail series a few seasons and think it would be great to have on board video besides still photos from the sidelines.

Update: Thought I would post a picture of the Virb mount insert on the bottom of the Garmin Edge handlebar mount.
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Stationery Plywood

#31 ·
(Edge|Forerunner|Fenix)/Virb TT Extension Combo Mount

Don't know if there would be any interest in this type of mount. I redesigned the Garmin Edge mount I was using so that it is only an eighth-turn instead of quarter-turn. As a result I ended up being able to put two sets of stops 90° offset. This allows an Edge as well as a Forerunner or Fenix to use the exact same mount without moving and/or unscrewing anything. Then I put it in a Time Trial Bar Extension type of mount. The Garmin will sit even with the extension. As an added feature I put a Virb mount under it. You can have both a cyclo-computer as well as an action cam all on the same mount. The Virb will sit below the extensions. It should fit any alloy/carbon extensions that are in the range of 20-22 mm in diameter.

Only a couple of items are required. An M4 x 15 mm socket head cap screw, an M4 nylon insert lock nut, a genuine Garmin Virb mount insert and locking ring.

Here is a render of the mount.
Plastic Synthetic rubber

This same mount could be made with a built in GoPro mount also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.