Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Lightbulb 3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts

Over the past couple of months I was looking for easy ways to mount my newly acquired Sony HDR-AZ1VR Mini Action Cam to my bicycles. Sony like all other action cam manufacturers do not have a lot of options for mounting. The ones they do have have to be universal and adjustable so they tend to be big and heavy not to mention ugly.

With all the hoopla about 3D printing, I did a lot of research and found that 3D printed parts can be every bit as strong as injection molded parts and weight-weenie light. So I set about refreshing my mechanical drawing skills, took a look at what I needed and went about designing my own mounts.

Before you all say we don't need another mounting system, please note that I did not make up a new one. The GoPro is ubiquitous, there are more mounting options and cheaper mounts than any other brand. I based my designs on directly adapting the original manufacturers mounting system to the GoPro system. This opens up a world of possibilities as to where you can put your action cam.

I am not trying to duplicate existing mounts or adapters, just fill in a niche where things could be infinitely more weight conscious or where there are no alternatives. My intent was to have the parts I needed to get where I wanted with the least number of adapters, the sturdiest vibration free mounts and of course the least amount of weight. I thought that if I could use such items, maybe some of my RBR acquaintances could use them also. I am not trying to be the next big thing, just filling a space with one-off parts that no one else wants to make themselves. I do not make these items myself, that I leave to Shapeways. They take care of everything, shipping direct to whoever buys from them.

Here is a link to my Shapeways page and a few pictures of some of the items I have designed: The Revolutionaries on Shapeways

27.2 mm Seat Post Mount
    31.6 mm Seat Post Mount
    2009-12 Cannondale Synapse Seat Post Mount

Contour T-Rail Direct to GoPro Mount
    Sony HDR-AZ1 Direct to GoPro Mount
    Di2 Junction 'A' Bolt-On QR Clip

Sony Live-View Remote to Garmin Quarter-turn Mount
    Ion Air Pro CamLOCK Direct to GoPro Mount
    Garmin Virb Direct 25.4 mm Seat Post Mount

This is just a small sample of stuff no one else makes. The images are in random colors to show what Shapeways can do. Like I said, I use them and some guys at MTBR have purchased some of the mounts too. I understand that DIY has an appeal, but why kludge some stuff together when you can just use a single mount conversion. I am constantly adding stuff that I feel I can use, but I am also open to suggestions. If you know what you want, and can describe it or draw it I can see if its something I want to tackle.

Just a couple of notes: If you wanted to mount a Contour Roam 3 on a 27.2 mm seat post you could use the mount, direct to GoPro T-Rail adapter and two M3 x 16 mm socket head cap screws with nylon insert lock nuts (hardware is not included with my mounts) and the total weight would be approximately 18 grams. And that is with Stainless Steel bolts and nuts! Contour does not make a seat post mount but you could use the Contour 2755 Flex Strap Mount at 36 grams provided it doesn't interfere with you pedal stroke. To front mount, if you have something like a K-Edge Garmin mount, the T-Rail adapter weighs just 3 grams.

With regard to strength, these parts are made out of nylon, it is a very strong material used by some F1 race teams on various parts. It is made using a process called Selective Laser Sintering (SLS for short). Each part is build up layer by layer in a block of nylon powder. A laser then melts selected areas of the nylon fusing it to the layer below. After the process is complete the cooled parts are removed from the block of nylon powder, cleaned, polished and dyed.

Some but not all of the stuff I have drawn up is available on Thingiverse for those adventurous to try 3D printing for themselves. Just be prepared for a lot of trial and error and reprints. There are also no support structures included with the Thingiverse files so there will be a lot of prep work before you have a perfectly usuable print.

I do know that Raceware in the UK (mostly focused on computer mounts) is doing the same kind of stuff, their process is 100% exact to what I have here and what Shapeways is already doing. I have used my own parts for several months and I wanted to share this with the rest of the cycling community, So far I have focused primarily on Action Cams and their mounting options, but if you visit the links above you will see there are a number of other things I have done. Some of the stuff have been the result of requests from other people, the bolt-on Di2 clip for example. As long as I have physical access to something that needs a mount it likely can be adapted and recreated in 3D drafting software and hence printed. One of the nice things about the Shapeways process, is that you can actually build parts that cannot be CNC machined or injection molded.

I also want to extend an invitation to others who may have made up bits and pieces and post them here too. Whether you printed it yourself or had a service do it for you, I would love to see it.

Thanks to everyone.

Re-Cyclist
    Very nice looking designs, Bud. I do CNC machining and work from solid models as well, but your rapid prototyping is way faster, though my parts are in metal or could be stronger engineering plastics. Is the nylon layered result you get as strong as if it were machined from nylon bar stock? The one place I have doubts about the integrity of the part would be those rotating mounts on the Garmin GPS. They get real tight upon rotation and may break. I had a Virb for a few days before discovering it was faulty (returned it) and mounting it either front or rear was a real pain. Of course I wanted a clean simple mount, and nothing available met that requirement.

Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    Do you have or can you come up with a solution for mounting a Cygolite Expilion light to some "aero-wing" handle bars?

This is the mount that fits normal bars:
    Locktite Handlebar Bracket for Expilion, Metro, Streak, Pace

These are the bars I have:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=S-WO...ml%3B640%3B480

As you can see, something as thin as the Garmin mount would work but the Cygolite mount is too wide to go beside the stem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's nice stuff! Best I've ever done is print spacers so round mounts work on a rounded square Giant stem.

Looks like you have a few of them on Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects any chance you'd post all of them there? I can see a few of them would be difficult to do with out a real good printer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Eyes View Post
    Very nice looking designs, Bud. I do CNC machining and work from solid models as well, but your rapid prototyping is way faster, though my parts are in metal or could be stronger engineering plastics. Is the nylon layered result you get as strong as if it were machined from nylon bar stock? The one place I have doubts about the integrity of the part would be those rotating mounts on the Garmin GPS. They get real tight upon rotation and may break. I had a Virb for a few days before discovering it was faulty (returned it) and mounting it either front or rear was a real pain. Of course I wanted a clean simple mount, and nothing available met that requirement.
    I have had no issues with the layered nylon, and I am constantly trying to push the limits of how thin and light you can actually make this stuff. There are things you simply can't do with CNC or even injection molding that can be done with SLS. Charge Bikes is even printing lugs and dropouts using the same method (in Titanium of course). I use several things I have made on the Garmin quarter-turn mount, I wouldn't try mounting everything on it, but for most stuff it is more than adequate. This all started because I didn't want to use this crappy solution.

Name:  1004831_sa[1].jpg
Views: 2874
Size:  18.2 KB

Why anyone would want to mount that on their bike just baffles me. So I started with a Cannondale Synapse and the need for a GoPro style mount. Of course the Synapse is a 2010, right in the middle of the aero seat post era for Cannondale. and I needed something light for my EVO. Then I had a friend with a Felt who wanted something. It has grown from there.

Quote Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg View Post
    Do you have or can you come up with a solution for mounting a Cygolite Expilion light to some "aero-wing" handle bars?

This is the mount that fits normal bars:
    Locktite Handlebar Bracket for Expilion, Metro, Streak, Pace

These are the bars I have:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=S-WO...ml%3B640%3B480

As you can see, something as thin as the Garmin mount would work but the Cygolite mount is too wide to go beside the stem.
    I just haven't done anything for the front end of a bike, I have been focused (pun intended) on action cams mounted to seat posts. It might be something I look into in the future, but I cannot promise anything. This is a hobby, not my job.

Quote Originally Posted by marc7654 View Post
    That's nice stuff! Best I've ever done is print spacers so round mounts work on a rounded square Giant stem.

Looks like you have a few of them on Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects any chance you'd post all of them there? I can see a few of them would be difficult to do with out a real good printer.
    No, I will not put all of my designs on Thingiverse. Many will make it there, but not all. I generally only put primary designs there, once I know it works and start refining the overall look, I want to keep those for myself. With regard to aero posts, those designs are proprietary to the bicycle manufacturers and as such could land me in trouble if I were to post the CAD files online. I have no intention of doing that. Right now I am reverse engineering the ones I have in my possession.

As far as home printing, I did not include any support structures and some things have overhangs, so it would be difficult to print these using an FDM printer.

@everyone - I hope I answered all your questions.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    How about a dual mount Garmin over a Gopro?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... our local library has decided to experiment with 3D... circulating a couple of machines around the branches to get feedback if it would be a viable asset.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I have thought about this and have a few ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    ... our local library has decided to experiment with 3D... circulating a couple of machines around the branches to get feedback if it would be a viable asset.
    Different printing methods used here. That said, great for prototyping. There are a few things that can be printed with powder and sintering that cannot be done with a CNC machine or with an FDM printer. Also detailed and high fill count prints take a long time and generally libraries limit you to about two hours at a time. There are numerous repositories of 3D print files on-line, you could download something simple and try it for yourself. I will tell you one thing, you cannot compare pricing to injection molded parts made to be sold in the tens of thousands or more. This is a one at a time process. My seat post mounts could not be injection molded or CNC milled because of hidden filleting and hollowing out for both strength and lightweight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A few new parts, including by popular demand a race number plate holder.

Here they are:

GoPro Cervelo S-Series Aero Post Mount
    Rear Brake Mount Race Plate Holder
    Big J-Bend Quick Release Clip for GoPro Mount

There is a few more things too, so visit and see for yourself.

FYI, The race number holders are about 1/3 the cost of what is currently available from various small manufacturers and the likes of K-Edge, so you could get them in every single color.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Are you thinking something like this:

3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-dual_garmin_handlebar.png

Not anywhere near done, and I am currently having the Garmin quarter-turn socket printed to test it's usability.

banned
    Aug 2012
    The race plate holder should be a big seller. Both real racers and poseurs would buy it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by myhui View Post
    The race plate holder should be a big seller. Both real racers and poseurs would buy it.
    And they are cheap too. Most online places want 20-30 bucks for a piece of bent metal. That item is under 10. Could get one in every color to match your bike.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WheresWaldo View Post
    Are you thinking something like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dual_Garmin_Handlebar.png 
Views:	1032 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	304480

Not anywhere near done, and I am currently having the Garmin quarter-turn socket printed to test it's usability.
    Yea something like that with both Gopro and Garmin.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yea something like that with both Gopro and Garmin.
    I misunderstood, I thought you wanted a dual Garmin head. Is what you actually want, a combo head with Garmin on one side and GoPro on the other?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I misunderstood, I thought you wanted a dual Garmin head. Is what you actually want, a combo head with Garmin on one side and GoPro on the other?
    Yes a dual mount to use both a Gopro and Garmin at the same time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Give me a week, I have to test my Garmin quarter-turn socket, once I have that in hand I can create a mount exactly as you describe. I do have one other thing already, if you want to convert a Garmin quarter-turn to a GoPro here is an adapter that will do it.
    Name:  99x74_3197770_9329120_1426398323.jpg
Views: 2452
Size:  2.2 KB
    GoPro Garmin Quarter-Turn Adapter Mount on Shapeways

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Give me a week, I have to test my Garmin quarter-turn socket, once I have that in hand I can create a mount exactly as you describe.
    No rush. Just something I was always curious of having. There are a few companies out there making this type of mount. Most seem to be modular CNC alum and not a single piece design.

IB13: WoMo Pulls Double Duty With New Dual Mount for Garmin, Gopro, Cateye, Lights and more
    Singletrack Magazine | Sea Otter: Tate Labs' SLi Fly GPS & Camera Mount
    Garmin GoPro Zephir Stem Mount - Superstar Components
    SOC14: Barfly Debuts Alloy SLi Fly Garmin Mounts with Integrated GoPro Mounting & More

RoadBikeReview Member

Di2 Junction A Clip Error

@tlg, I should have some new stuff up next week

@ everyone who bought a Di2 Clip, there was a small error in the design, and a 1 mm notch was missing on each slot the SM-EW90 slides into. Here is a picture that illustrates the error.
    3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-di2_clip_tape_on_2015-mar-26_11-49-54pm-000_home.jpg
    If you ordered one, you have several options:
    1. Keep the clip and make the small modification shown
    2. If your part isn't in production, cancel your order, then re-order in a couple of days when I have the corrected files uploaded.
    3. Contact Shapeways Customer Service and ask for a refund because the part doesn't fit, then reorder in a couple of days when I have the corrected files uploaded.

I have contacted Shapeways support and I will work with them to correct the error and make sure everyone who ordered one is happy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Items are now revised and back up on Shapeways, I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes a dual mount to use both a Gopro and Garmin at the same time.
    I am having this test piece printed so I can make sure it works for the Virb.
    3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-edge_virb_combo_sub-assembly_2015-mar-27_08-04-31pm-000_home.jpg3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-garmin-test-piece.jpg
    It's Edge on the top and Virb flat mount on the bottom. Once I know it works I will make a handlebar mount that uses this sub-assembly. Another stupid Garmin thing, the threads on the flat mount are something Garmin made up and not any type of standard threads, it was a ***** to recreate the thread profile.

RoadBikeReview Member

Stem Cap/Bolt for everyone to print and/or modify.

Was fooling around a bit and created this for all you weight conscious cyclists. It is not in my shop but is available to anyone who has or has access to a 3D printer. It is a combination stem cap and M6 Bolt. It cannot be used to preload the headset bearings, but is ideal for anyone wanting to shed a few grams of weight. Just to avoid confusion, yes the cap is concave!

To make it easier for people to use and modify I have included the IGES and STEP files for modifying.

3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-stem_cap_001.png
    Low Profile Stem Cap - Youmagine
    Fancy Bicycle Stem Top Cap (now includes IGES & STEP files) by WheresWaldo - Thingiverse

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    would it be at all possible to make a Virb rear facing mount that works the the Giant TCR Advanced SL aero ISP? The seat rail clamp is too large to use a K-Edge seat rail clamp and I'm having a hard time finding other solutions for rear facing cameras. If need be I can send in some the ISP spacers which are exactly the same dimensions as the ISP itself.

Great work so far. These items are filling niche needs very well.

JP
    jpcoates at gmail dot com

RoadBikeReview Member
    @jp, sent you a pm with my email address.

@tlg, next Monday look for some new stuff, Garmin Edge/GoPro Combo mounts, Garmin Edge/Virb combo mounts, More Virb stuff and some steerer tube stem cap spacer and cap mounts.

RoadBikeReview Member

10% off at Shapeways

Shapeways had some site issues this week so they sent registered users this code for 10% off a single order. If you wanted to try something out and save a bit of change use the code below, it is valid until April 15 at 11:59 PM PDT

THANKYOU10

At the same time, look at the new stuff i have up on Shapeways, lots of Garmin Virb items.

RoadBikeReview Member

Giant TCR Advanced SL ISP Mount

This was a request from another forum, jpcoates sent me a spacer for the Giant TCR Advanced SL and wanted an action cam mount built specifically for it. Well here it is:
    3D Printed Accessories / Parts / Mounts-giant-tcr-advanced-isp-mount.png
    Two version are available for the GoPro and Virb here:
    GoPro Giant TCR Advanced ISP Mount on Shapeways
    Virb Giant TCR Advanced ISP Mount on Shapeways
    Last edited by WheresWaldo; 05-07-2015 at 09:09 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast