Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Just tragic. This could have been any of us or our friends. All the bright colors, lights and awareness of the traffic can't stop a someone in a vehicle who is out to do harm, impaired or just not paying attention

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sick to my stomach. Those pictures are disturbing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Jesus....

Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Horrific. Not showing this to my wife that's for sure. RIP to the cyclists.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    So sad... I ran across this article that showed more detailed photos of the damage to all of the bikes and I will say its sobering and sicking..

Photos of damaged bikes, pickup show horror of Kalamazoo crash that killed 5 | MLive.com

So hard to think those rear pace-liners probably said car back and never had time due to the closing speed to say anything else.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I wouldn't mistake media coverage as a source of accurate information, however, I can see little motivation to fabricate BS in this instance. Also, anonymous forums/comments always tend to cause the idiot within to surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    It shows the state of un/informed level among the populace.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Another thing is that people just don't call in reckless driving unless it is extreme which, combined with my experience, leads me to believe that this driver was speeding at closer to 100 than to 50mph.
    Your estimate may be close. I looked at the other pictures of the truck, and I have never seen a vehicle with that kind of damage from impact with one or several persons. Given that this was not a small group of cyclists that people argue was probably also not in a tight formation, and that this seems to have happened on a straight piece of road with good visibility (6:35pm, so daylight, with the sun well above a car's windshield, and the road runs north-south), it's very hard to imagine that the driver did not see the cyclists. I usually try to be cautious with statements like that since accidents, even terrible accidents, do happen, but in this case it looks like manslaughter charges are in order...
    Last edited by Pirx; 06-09-2016 at 09:29 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Having grown in all my life in Michigan then moving to the East Coast one thing that really strikes me is the difference in daylight times. Baltimore is more or less the start of the eastern time zone while Western Michigan is almost the end (Chicago is the next time zone over). There were many times in Michigan when I would play all you can golf "twilight" starting at 5:30 and at 9:45PM still be thinking I could play one more hole. Darkish, yes but still able to find and hit a ball. Where I live now 8:30-8:45 seems to be about the limits of light

My point being when you see generic 6:35PM you might tend to think dinner, twilight or low sun or early evening. 6:35PM in June in Michigan is nothing but sunlight. Those guys were surely visible and then some.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rplace13 View Post
    Baltimore is more or less the start of the eastern time zone
    Actually, Baltimore is around the middle of the Eastern time zone. It extends east to the Maine-New Brunswick border. East of that, you are in Atlantic time.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rplace13 View Post
    My point being when you see generic 6:35PM you might tend to think dinner, twilight or low sun or early evening. 6:35PM in June in Michigan is nothing but sunlight. Those guys were surely visible and then some.
    This. I also grew up in Michigan. If you look at a time zone map you'll see that Michigan has legislated Eastern time when its longitude makes Central time more natural. The result is later sunrise and sunset relative to clock time. DST compounds this in summer. For sure, Mr Sun is way overhead at 6:30PM in June.

I can't speak for SW Michigan today, but years ago and further north a frequent attitude toward cyclists was, "Get that TOY off the road!!" That's if they bothered to yell instead of just running you into the gravel.
    Last edited by bobf; 06-10-2016 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Got my SE and SW mixed up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Actually, Baltimore is around the middle of the Eastern time zone. It extends east to the Maine-New Brunswick border. East of that, you are in Atlantic time.
    Oh, I bet you are a lot of fun at a party, Cliff Clavin. That is a toad not a frog on TV, er sorry, television. More or less does not cut it for you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sunset in Kalamazoo is 9:18pm today, so the incident happened almost three hours before sunset.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirx View Post
    Sunset in Kalamazoo is 9:18pm today, so the incident happened almost three hours before sunset.
    Drunks don't care what time of day it is. Their judgment, vision, etc., is just as impaired in daylight as it is at night.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    Also, anonymous forums/comments always tend to cause the idiot within to surface.
    What I've noticed over last 14 years of interaction on internet posting sites is that there are higher percentage (higher than encountering on the streets) of people with mental issues. Typically, they would have been noticed quickly in face to face situation out in the real world and others would have avoided him/her but it's much more difficult to figure that out, if at all, on internet posting sites. So more of them tend to use such sites as their alternative outlet for interacting with others. I've actually dealt with 2 different people whom later revealed that they are bipolar. Another one is schizophrenic with some jail time on his record and is on medication.

It's a jungle out there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxKatt View Post
    I'll out him. Looks like another disappointment from the Right...

Attachment 314525
    Meanwhile, in "liberal paradise" NYC, the battle against ANY sort of bicycle infrastructure rages like WWII.

Anti-cycling bias knows no political ideology.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Drunks don't care what time of day it is. Their judgment, vision, etc., is just as impaired in daylight as it is at night.
    Sure, sure.

Meanwhile, the Kalamazoo County prosecutor will charge the guy with five counts of second-degree murder, and four counts of reckless driving causing serious impairment. If convicted, he could face up to life in prison. I sure hope he does.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by romrah View Post
    So sad... I ran across this article that showed more detailed photos of the damage to all of the bikes and I will say its sobering and sicking..

Photos of damaged bikes, pickup show horror of Kalamazoo crash that killed 5 | MLive.com

So hard to think those rear pace-liners probably said car back and never had time due to the closing speed to say anything else.
    Looks like those riders went through a meat grinder. The frames are all torn apart from multiple hits bouncing all over the place. One can only imagine how all those riders died and got the others in critical condition. Looks like the truck was hit multiple times, too. The front bumper is trashed out completely back to the radiator, but the rest of the vehicle is still intact. If driver had hit another motor vehicle, it would be crushed like safety tests show.

Really scary looking at all those frames. Notice the split wheel rims, and the frames broken at the thinnest parts? Steel doesn't break up quite that easily. I'd also venture to say more spokes on those wheels would have saved them from turning into lethal meat grinders when the crash occurred. Then again, at high speeds, all bets are off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    I'm not expert, but I'd say he hit them at at least 60 MPH, based on those pictures.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Driver charged with Murder
    Murder charges in cyclists' death, but no answer to what caused crash

Personally, I feel this is appropriate, but I doubt they will make it stick... I expect a plea deal of some kind...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Anti-cycling bias knows no political ideology.

Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirx View Post
    Sure, sure.

Meanwhile, the Kalamazoo County prosecutor will charge the guy with five counts of second-degree murder, and four counts of reckless driving causing serious impairment. If convicted, he could face up to life in prison. I sure hope he does.
    I saw this and have to agree with you.

What I haven't seen or read is anything about him being drunk. I don't know if I missed an announcement or nothing has been said about it, but if he wasn't drunk, he needs to be hung, or worse.

It's bad enough if this happened because the asswhole was drunk, but if he did this while sober, well the charges aren't enough.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Looks like those riders went through a meat grinder. The frames are all torn apart from multiple hits bouncing all over the place. One can only imagine how all those riders died and got the others in critical condition. Looks like the truck was hit multiple times, too. The front bumper is trashed out completely back to the radiator, but the rest of the vehicle is still intact. If driver had hit another motor vehicle, it would be crushed like safety tests show.

Really scary looking at all those frames. Notice the split wheel rims, and the frames broken at the thinnest parts? Steel doesn't break up quite that easily. I'd also venture to say more spokes on those wheels would have saved them from turning into lethal meat grinders when the crash occurred. Then again, at high speeds, all bets are off.
    Spoke count means nothing when a vehicle hits a cyclist with that magnitude. Look at the way that windshield is busted out, right up to the roof of the truck, one of those poor souls just about got snapped in half.

That Son of a *****, Charles E. Pickett, deserves to be beaten to death.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    If drunk, not hard to believe. Drunk drivers have been known to drive down the wrong way on interstate highways.

Still no excuse. I hope they throw the book at this guy.
    That would be too detrimental to the driver. A stiff price to pay for 2 seconds of action.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    What I haven't seen or read is anything about him being drunk. I don't know if I missed an announcement or nothing has been said about it,
    Authorities say they're still investigating, and are waiting for lab results. The only thing that's known for now is that he's had some prior DUI issues, and generally seems to have liked his booze quite a bit. Plus, there were I think three 911 calls within the half hour prior to the incident, of people reporting his "erratic" driving, so the cops were looking for him already. Unfortunately when they found the guy it was too late.
    Last edited by Pirx; 06-09-2016 at 04:25 PM.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I'm honestly shocked...at a loss for words. I know Kalamazoo has a pretty strong bike scene, and a relatively pro-cycling community in general. But, like most western Michigan cities, that attitude doesn't seem to extend outside the City Limit signs.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast