Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

5 Cyclists Killed in MI by Pickup

Sad, very sad. Not too many details but hard to imagine the person was trying to avoid, swerve or brake if 5 killed and 4 seriously injured.

Five cyclists killed, four injured in Michigan car crash | Reuters

RoadBikeReview Member
    Horrible. Sounds likely he was drunk, since the police were getting multiple reports of erratic driving from 30 minutes before the crash and were looking for him.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Horrible. Sounds likely he was drunk, since the police were getting multiple reports of erratic driving from 30 minutes before the crash and were looking for him.
    Agree. The CNN article said he was arrested at the scene and charges were forthcoming.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm trying NOT to rush to judgment....but mowing down a line of 9 bikers sounds almost deliberate. After the first few wouldn't you turn/brake? Even if impaired I have a hard time grasping how you could wipe out so many, if not on purpose. The picture of the pickup looks like it hit a tree not bikes.

I'm envisioning a guy coming up behind a pace line and just plowing over them all. Perhaps the group was more bunched up or maybe it was an intersection so more like getting t-boned in a car? More details needed but a tragedy no matter the circumstances. Hope we see some justice.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    At the very least we can deduce he plowed into them at considerable speed. Whether or not it was intentional, you don't kill five people by gently brushing them.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    mowing down a line of 9 bikers sounds almost deliberate. After the first few wouldn't you turn/brake?
    Drunk is just as possible. As for reacting "after the first few", the time is insufficient. If it was a group ride the length of the pack could be as little 30 feet (assuming two abreast). If they were going 20 mph and he was going 60, the closing speed of 40 mph is over 70 feet per second. That's less than half a second from the back rider to the front.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rplace13 View Post
    I'm trying NOT to rush to judgment....but mowing down a line of 9 bikers sounds almost deliberate. After the first few wouldn't you turn/brake? Even if impaired I have a hard time grasping how you could wipe out so many, if not on purpose.
    If drunk, not hard to believe. Drunk drivers have been known to drive down the wrong way on interstate highways.

Still no excuse. I hope they throw the book at this guy.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Here is one of the more recent articles:

Kalamazoo Strong Organization collecting funds for victims of fatal bicycle crash | MLive.com

Here is a link for anyone who feels a need to help assist the families of the victims:

Home

I really hope for the best for the victims families, and the 4 that are still fighting for their lives.

I'm not going to guess at the drivers frame of mind. It sounds like they will not officially be releasing much information until Thursday.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    The damage to the front of that truck is shocking. Being in NE Indiana and possibly racing with the victims in MI events, this really strikes home.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm trying NOT to rush to judgment....but mowing down a line of 9 bikers sounds almost deliberate. After the first few wouldn't you turn/brake? Even if impaired I have a hard time grasping how you could wipe out so many, if not on purpose. The picture of the pickup looks like it hit a tree not bikes.

I'm envisioning a guy coming up behind a pace line and just plowing over them all. Perhaps the group was more bunched up or maybe it was an intersection so more like getting t-boned in a car? More details needed but a tragedy no matter the circumstances. Hope we see some justice.
    Not hard to believe at all. A truck traveling at 45mph is going 66ft/sec.
    A drunk driver, distracted driver, passed out driver could easily plow through two dozen cyclists in 1 second.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Master debator.
    The usual idiotic comments below the report here:

Five cyclists killed, four injured in Michigan car crash
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    The usual idiotic comments below the report here:

Five cyclists killed, four injured in Michigan car crash
    There were a few anti-cycling comments but I would expect those people would not resort to mowing down cyclists. Quite frankly the cycling community has often times earned this reputation. I been in a number of groups were I was embarrassed by their behavior. To get respect we have to earn it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    There were a few anti-cycling comments but I would expect those people would not resort to mowing down cyclists. Quite frankly the cycling community has often times earned this reputation. I been in a number of groups were I was embarrassed by their behavior. To get respect we have to earn it
    Exactly.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DaveG again.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I'm envisioning a guy coming up behind a pace line and just plowing over them all.
    Some witnesses are reporting that the driver hit the cyclists head-on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Commenting sections on news articles are embarrassing for the human race.

I'm glad news sites started removing them.
    Last edited by zephxiii; 06-08-2016 at 08:00 AM.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    You and we will never have their respect. That is how it is.

We're homosexual lycra clad two-wheelers and we don't belong on the road. That is the perspective of lots of people. Hell I've had water bottles tossed at me from moving vehicles for just being a cyclist.

If you think we're ever going to earn "respect" in the USA....you are simply naive. Of course we should all follow the law, but we can follow the law to the letter and will never be respected. I come to a full legal stop at a stop sign, I'll get yelled at out a window for slowing a jerk down 30 seconds on his work commute, whereas if I blow that stop sign (or even do a slow almost-track-stand) because there's never cross traffic on that street at that hour (to be polite to people who yell at me for slowing them down) I'll still get yelled at.

Why?

Because people are jerks and look no further than their own nose.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    Commenting sections on news articles is embarrassing for the human race.
    It shows the state of un/informed level among the populace.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    It shows the state of un/informed level among the populace.
    They don't know, they don't care, and by god they have their right to be mad at you and the world and have their uninformed opinion.

I'm just certain if we follow the law to the letter we'll get their respect (LMAO).

Pooped a refrigerator.
    It's amazing how little introspection the anti-cycling crowd has when it comes to commenting on articles like these.

Pedestrian killed by negligent motorist: Human deserving of our sympathy.

Motorist killed by negligent motorist: Human deserving of our sympathy.

Cyclist killed by negligent motorist: What was the cyclist doing to deserve it?
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    No use getting upset by the inappropriate comments. It is very likely that the 'haters' are leading very miserable lives and, sadly, too many look outwardly to see who and what they can blame for their misery.

You can read the complaints: cyclists are out there to keep you from getting to work on time! They're setting traps with their cameras to catch all the HARD WORKING drivers! They are intentionally cutting to the front of the line at the red light just to SHOW...DRIVERS...UP! They are laughing at us! They are peeing everywhere!!! Oh the humanity!!!!!!!!!

The peeing comment from some batshit crazy lady in Texas was spit-out-your-coffee funny!

It is a little scary that the ragers actually believe much of this tripe, but its no new trend. Miserable people always seem to find someone else to blame for their misery. Cyclists are just one group in a long line of strawmen: politicians, wall street fat cats, evil business owners, that guy who looked at me weird the other day....

There is no changing their view and they will probably go to their grave thinking that (if not) for the world, they would have been happy.

MOST drivers are fine and respectful

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    You and we will never have their respect. That is how it is.

We're homosexual lycra clad two-wheelers and we don't belong on the road. That is the perspective of lots of people. Hell I've had water bottles tossed at me from moving vehicles for just being a cyclist.

If you think we're ever going to earn "respect" in the USA....you are simply naive. Of course we should all follow the law, but we can follow the law to the letter and will never be respected. I come to a full legal stop at a stop sign, I'll get yelled at out a window for slowing a jerk down 30 seconds on his work commute, whereas if I blow that stop sign (or even do a slow almost-track-stand) because there's never cross traffic on that street at that hour (to be polite to people who yell at me for slowing them down) I'll still get yelled at.

Why?

Because people are jerks and look no further than their own nose.
    My own experience has not been quite this negative, and I live in a state (NJ) not known for civility. Most motorists give me wide berth when passing and avoid unsafe situations. Marc, we are not going to win everyone over but we should try and we will win some. When I am out on a ride and a group of riders are hogging the lane despite knowing there is car behind them, I think they deserve a honk. I will bail out of groups when they show disregard for motorists

Adorable Furry Hombre
    My own experience has not been quite this negative, and I live in a state (NJ) not known for civility. Most motorists give me wide berth when passing and avoid unsafe situations. Marc, we are not going to win everyone over but we should try and we will win some. When I am out on a ride and a group of riders are hogging the lane despite knowing there is car behind them, I think they deserve a honk. I will bail out of groups when they show disregard for motorists
    Uh, depending on the state this may be legal to do and proper. Many road law books state "as far to the right as is practicable". But many road statutes in many places also state something like "When a lane is too narrow for a bicycle and a car to share safely, the cyclist is entitled to the use of the entire lane."

Every week or so, I get a city-slicker or country-kid in a pickup truck lay on their horn behind me just to be an @$$. Even if I'm on the shoulder or close in to the fogline. Like I say, I've had water bottle pitched in my direction and hit their mark.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    +1 on this.. I do see a good 90% of the people making a effort but its always the small minority that cause the issue on both sides (view the dont be that guy thread). I just hope that the legal system actually works for the victims and their families in this case and that one of them had a camera running. Seen too many like this one that makes you wonder about things.

Bike Cleveland upset driver not convicted of killing cyclists - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Do you have a link? This contradicts what the prosecuting attorney and witnesses stated on local television. Both stated the cyclists and driver were heading north, on a road call N. Westnedge.

Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    Some witnesses are reporting that the driver hit the cyclists head-on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    Commenting sections on news articles are embarrassing for the human race.

I'm glad news sites started removing them.
    Which is why I never read their comments. Some of these people can barely write a full sentence.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast