8 things not to do on a bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    They forgot the most important one: #9...not waving

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    They forgot the most important one: #9...not waving
    So your saying Yes To Waving ? I always do as long as I can let one of my hands loose for a second. I was wondering about something like this the other day. Is there a universal gesture. 👍👋
    that one Cyclist makes to another Cyclist when not on the bike ? Some jester that conveys that You/I am a Cyclist also.
    Last edited by mburke; 1 Week Ago at 10:20 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mburke View Post
    So your saying Yes To Waving ? I always do as long as I can let one of my hands loose for a second. I was wondering about something like this the other day. Is there a universal jester that one Cyclist makes to another Cyclist when not on the bike ? Some jester that conveys that You/I am a Cyclist also.
    now that winter is approaching, the waving becomes more appreciated, especially when the number of cyclists out there becomes fewer and fewer. there's a sort of camaraderie amongst winter cyclists that doesn't quite occur other times of the year. Maybe its misery loves company or people glad to see other rule 5& 9 guys out on the road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was wondering about something like this the other day. Is there a universal jester that one Cyclist makes to another Cyclist when not on the bike ? Some jester that conveys that You/I am a Cyclist also.
    There is no such gesture so far as I know.

Waving in general is a fraught topic around here. Some wave, some do not, some denigrate those who wave, some denigrate those who don't wave, some wave sometimes but don't care if others do.

I often wave, but sometimes only nod. I don't get offended if my gesture is ignored.
    We are far from pefect,
    But perfect as we are
    We are bruised, we are broken,
    But we are goddamn works of art
    Works of art

Russian Troll Farmer
    So your saying Yes To Waving ? I always do as long as I can let one of my hands loose for a second. I was wondering about something like this the other day. Is there a universal jester that one Cyclist makes to another Cyclist when not on the bike ? Some jester that conveys that You/I am a Cyclist also.
    You don't know about the road cyclist "finger lift"? You just raise your index finger to salute the fellow cyclist, a simple gesture that allows you to keep control.

BTW, I haven't met too many jesters on bikes. I think those silly hats are not very aerodynamic.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Adorable Furry Hombre
    The most funny thing...

You announce your pass. "On your left". "ON YOUR LEFT". Maybe a bell ring. You pull your pass. "WTF ANNOUNCE YOU....." You drop him. He chases you down at the next stop. "WTF why don't you announce your passes you jerk!!"..."Uh, I did". "I-----oh,..."

People take everything way to personally nowadays.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

a real member's member
    another thing to avoid on a bike

after you've rebuilt a bike and are riding it about the hood on its maiden voyage to work out the kinks and dial-in everything, don't stare down too long at problematic front derailleur shifts while riding alongside parked cars or oncoming traffic.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    I Am the Universal Jester.

Bow down and ridcule me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    don't stare down too long at problematic front derailleur shifts while riding alongside parked cars or oncoming traffic.
    When you see headlights on the left, lean right. When you see headlights on your right, lean left. When you see headlights on both sides, brace.

I was ending up a night ride and trying to shut off my GPS when I got that creepy feeling that someone was watching me ....ride right into the grille of their van.

I swerved aside but i didn't represent smart cyclists adequately.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    You don't know about the road cyclist "finger lift"? You just raise your index finger to salute the fellow cyclist, a simple gesture that allows you to keep control.

BTW, I haven't met too many jesters on bikes. I think those silly hats are not very aerodynamic.....
    Yes, index finger or the one next to it. ;-P

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
    I Am the Universal Jester.

Bow down and ridcule me.
    And I am the Riddler.

As villains, the Riddler is non-violent and uses puzzles, riddles, and clues. He is an extremely intelligent villain and usually challenges other people’s intellect. He often uses his enemies as pawns in the game. The Riddler usually works by himself or by a limited number of henchmen. He has an over-compulsive disorder, and his fetish is to be baffled by his enemies or pawns. His kills are always planned. He is described as a narcissist with a big ego. Even with his character, he fears death.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    I would add to this the most annoying behavior of passing me on a downhill and pull in front of me right before an uphill and slow to a crawl so I have to pass you again.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I would add to this the most annoying behavior of passing me on a downhill and pull in front of me right before an uphill and slow to a crawl so I have to pass you again.
    Yeah, they should just know looking at your butt how fast you'll be climbing.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    Yeah, they should just know looking at your butt how fast you'll be climbing.
    Yep, I have a fast uphill looking butt.

Seriously, if you can't maintain more than 5mph going uphill, you shouldn't be passing and pulling in front of me right before that.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Seriously, if you can't maintain more than 5mph going uphill, you shouldn't be passing and pulling in front of me right before that.
    There's a lot of fast guys out there -- at least fast going down the hills.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    There's a lot of fast guys out there -- at least fast going down the hills.
    Being a clyde myself, this just comes natural. I sometimes ride with a guy who is ~70lbs lighter than me. On the flats we keep the same speed for more or less the same relative effort; On the uphills I get utterly clobbered by him and then I return the favor on the downhills. It has nothing to do with showing off, it just physics (I'm more gravitationally challenged).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cooskull View Post
    (I'm more gravitationally challenged).
    LOL! I guess that means gravitationally enhanced on the downhills?

OK, this I understand. Though most the people who do this to me are not clydes/Athenas. They pedal hard down a hill somehow thinking that will carry them up the next hill. Unless it's a very short hill, that doesn't work other than to tire yourself out before the climb. You can't defy gravity.

-- Warren Buffett

gazing from the shadows
    Never half wheel?

Never unintentionally half wheel sure, but half wheeling people is sometimes called for. For example, I think anyone pulling a #5 on the list should be half wheeled to shut them up.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    don't stare down too long at problematic front derailleur shifts while riding alongside parked cars or oncoming traffic.
    I resemble that remark. I was 13, on a borrowed bike. I have two capped front teeth.

Russian Troll Farmer
    another thing to avoid on a bike

after you've rebuilt a bike and are riding it about the hood on its maiden voyage to work out the kinks and dial-in everything, don't stare down too long at problematic front derailleur shifts while riding alongside parked cars or oncoming traffic.
    Oh, man, a week after my vertigo attack, I decided to get back on the bike; my dynamic balance was pretty good, my balance on stopping was shaky, but it was a month before I could look down without riding into a curb/car/opposite lane.

Russian Troll Farmer

Well, a lot of 'weekend warriors' use their 53-11 combo a lot on downhills. Give them their 5 seconds of glory, then just give them an 'Italian gesture' when you pass them. A good fart might help, too.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    I resemble that remark. I was 13, on a borrowed bike. I have two capped front teeth.
    ouch!

for me, the two caps came from a golf ball when i was 14. i was working as a "range rat" and the drag was broken. so, i was picking up the range by hand when a ball hit me square in the face knocking me out of the cart.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    #10...this should be #1: Buying upgrades thinking they will transform your performance.

Or something like that. I've probably made every mistake in the book. Twice. And can say with out a doubt most of us are guilty at buying things in hopes they will magically make us noticeably more efficient etc...

One positive thing I can say about buying new stuff is that my stoke usually goes up and I ride more which equals better performance down the road. Funny how that works.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    I gross 310 lb with supplies in the basket, 160 of that me. I'm faster than most down the hill. I'm slower up. The pavement has 102" of lane, use some of it. Passing in N America is on the left. When I'm slow I'll be on the right. I'm not braking to follow adult bikers on a road; going down the hill is the fun part of the ride. Up is the payback. I will brake for children and clueless pedestrians in parks, like on the down ramp of the Big 4 Bridge. 10 mph max there.
    Last edited by indianajo; 1 Week Ago at 05:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast