Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    413

    '99 Lemond Zurich - I think....

    I'm going to look at this bike tonight. The guy has no idea on what level of components, just that they are Shimano and he believes them to be stock. I believe it's a '99 from what I've seen on bikepedia (mostly based on the Rolf wheelset) and other searches. Anyone care to confirm that for me?

    Hoping I can strike a deal. Without me telling you what the guy is asking, and assuming everything is functioning properly and original, what is the most you would pay for it? Here it is...

    '99 Lemond Zurich - I think....-lemond-zurich.jpg

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    71
    I'm not positive, but I think Zurich's came stock with Ultegra components. I think you are in the right ballpark in terms of the year, but I do not know what the going price of a late model Lemond would be. I had/have a 97 Buenos Aires (one model down from the Zurich) and it came stock with a 105 group set.

    I've read on this forum that the Zurich was an all 853 frame (main triangle and stays). In 97, I thought the only differences were the groupsets (105 vs. ultegra) and a carbon fork on the Zurich vs steel on the Buenos Aires. The frames I thought were the same (853 main and 753 stays). Again, I have read other opinions that the entire Zurich frame was 853.

    Nice bike. I looks in fairly good condition given its age.

    Dave

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by DG62 View Post
    I'm not positive, but I think Zurich's came stock with Ultegra components. I think you are in the right ballpark in terms of the year, but I do not know what the going price of a late model Lemond would be. I had/have a 97 Buenos Aires (one model down from the Zurich) and it came stock with a 105 group set.

    I've read on this forum that the Zurich was an all 853 frame (main triangle and stays). In 97, I thought the only differences were the groupsets (105 vs. ultegra) and a carbon fork on the Zurich vs steel on the Buenos Aires. The frames I thought were the same (853 main and 753 stays). Again, I have read other opinions that the entire Zurich frame was 853.

    Nice bike. I looks in fairly good condition given its age.

    Dave

    I've heard the same regarding the frame on the Zurich being full 853. I'll be really interested in seeing the thing up close and hearing the backstory on where this guy got it and if he's the original owner. I could be completely wrong on this, but based on the toe straps, dork disk, and mismatched bottle holders, right now I'm predicting that it's seen light use mostly just for cross-training.

    Either way, excited to see it. Looks like the only "work" I will be doing today is browsing the interwebz for any info I can find.


    Edit to add: I am a little nervous about the size. Guy says he's 6 feet tall (so am I). I'm hoping he just rolls with a really low seat. If not, I worry that it's going to be a little big for me. Only one way to find out though...

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: carveitup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    826
    I've got one in my basement (same colour). I believe it is a '99 or '2000. I can't remember which. The year before, it was a red frame. The original equipment was full ultegra. It looks like the stem on that one has been changed as the original was an icon stem (which may have been subsequently recalled).

    It's a nice bike with a fairly slack seat angle.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by carveitup View Post
    I've got one in my basement (same colour). I believe it is a '99 or '2000. I can't remember which. The year before, it was a red frame. The original equipment was full ultegra. It looks like the stem on that one has been changed as the original was an icon stem (which may have been subsequently recalled).

    It's a nice bike with a fairly slack seat angle.

    I found the '99 Lemond brochure and it appears to match that perfectly. The stem as originally speced was actually a Cinelli XE. As best as I can tell, everything but the pedals seems to match what's in the brochure. Even down to what for me, looks like terrible positioning of the shifters on the bars.

    As for the geometry, I currently ride a medium NeilPryde Diablo. The guy selling the Lemond thinks it's a 54 or 56 (so I'm hoping it's really a 53 or 55 in Lemond sizing). I was surprised to see both the head and seat tube angles to be either spot on or within 0.5 degrees of my Diablo depending what size this Lemond actually is. I don't know how much difference that would make in handling, but I can't imagine it's much.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 67caddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    491
    I've got a '99 Lemond Zurich at home. That is a 99 Zurich, no doubt. That one even has the orginal saddle (first thing I switched out, not very comfortable). Full Ultegra and yes 853 Reynolds. That is even the same type of red cloth handlebar tape the bike came with new. And the same crap Rolf Vector comp wheels. Carbon fiber fork with THREADED steel steerer.

    I still have the frame for mine. It is a very nice frame. If I was going after the bike, I would be going after the frame and the Ultegra components. With the very little use it appears on that bike, those components have years of use still in them.

    I would ditch the fork and go with a carbon fork with carbon steerer and a threadless stem. It is a 1 inch steerer, so that makes it harder to find. But I found a new one on clearance for less than $100 three years ago (360g). That would trim 12oz off the bike. The angles on it are old school European, it is not a crit bike, more for long road rides. The other thing would be to upgrade the wheels. Those Rolf Comps weigh well over 2100g. The bike as it sits right now probably weighs around 21-22 lbs. But with the two changes I've mentioned, you can get it down to 19lbs pretty easy.

    The bike retailed for around $2k new. Which means absolutely nothing now. What you could buy for $2k now is lightyears ahead of that Lemond. However, if you really want a decent 853 frame and functional 9spd will work for you, it may be the way to go. I don't buy/sell used bikes, so I have no idea what a decent price would be. I would think someone selling would be happy to get $500 out of it.

  7. #7
    old school drop out
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,546
    Quote Originally Posted by seemana View Post
    As for the geometry, I currently ride a medium NeilPryde Diablo. The guy selling the Lemond thinks it's a 54 or 56 (so I'm hoping it's really a 53 or 55 in Lemond sizing).
    From the pics is definitely bigger than a 53 or 55cm frame, which is good, since at 6'0" you should be riding a Lemond 59cm (or a 57 if you like small frames). A 6 foot tall person is taller than average. A 53cm frame is for someone shorter than average. I'm about a 1/2" taller than you with long legs and a shorter torso, I fit well on a 59 Lemond (which is probably what the pictured bike is).

    As far as price... I'm not sure how well these hold their value, but it's a nice bike and should ride well. 9-speed Ultegra worked great too!

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    From the pics is definitely bigger than a 53 or 55cm frame, which is good, since at 6'0" you should be riding a Lemond 59cm (or a 57 if you like small frames). A 6 foot tall person is taller than average. A 53cm frame is for someone shorter than average. I'm about a 1/2" taller than you with long legs and a shorter torso, I fit well on a 59 Lemond (which is probably what the pictured bike is).

    As far as price... I'm not sure how well these hold their value, but it's a nice bike and should ride well. I have a set of these wheels on a spare bike and they work really well - a bit heavy, but they ride nicely and feel very solid in turns. 9-speed Ultegra worked great too!
    FWIW...I am just shy of 6 feet (but prefer to round up instead of down). And unfortunately, I have the opposite proportions as you....short legs, long torso

    A little smaller bike fits me better. If this thing is in fact a 57, that would leave me with a top tube of 575mm which I could make work with a different stem. But my boys would be resting squarely on it when I'm standing. Not a huge fan of that.

    It'll be interesting...

  9. #9
    old school drop out
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,546
    Quote Originally Posted by seemana View Post
    FWIW...I am just shy of 6 feet (but prefer to round up instead of down). And unfortunately, I have the opposite proportions as you....short legs, long torso

    A little smaller bike fits me better. If this thing is in fact a 57, that would leave me with a top tube of 575mm which I could make work with a different stem. But my boys would be resting squarely on it when I'm standing. Not a huge fan of that.

    It'll be interesting...
    Don't worry too much about stand-over, it's really unimportant. Especially if you have short legs and a long torso, you'll have little or no standover in order to get a top tube that's the proper length. If you're worried about it, lean the bike over when you're at a red light and you'll have plenty of standover.

    The slacker seat tube on the Lemond (compared to your current bike) means that the top tube will effectively be shorter than what you measure on your current bike. For my saddle height, a half degree slacker seat tube equals about 1cm change in top tube length - you should be similar to that.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    For my saddle height, a half degree slacker seat tube equals about 1cm change in top tube length - you should be similar to that.

    Great to know...that would make the 57 almost spot on with my old Specialized Allez! I never knew what the real impact of that half degree would be. Thanks!
    Last edited by seemana; 07-17-2012 at 09:53 AM.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    107
    I'm with laffeaux, it looks to be a 57 or maybe as he suggests a 59. As you own a NeilPryde Diablo this will not be your racer and if it look as good as the photo suggests (much better than typical '99s) I would do all I could to keep it as stock as your fit will allow. That said I also are not found of the Trek/LeMond Rolfs which are heavy and Rolf does not support (they were made for Trek/LeMond and not sold by Rolf) but I found them to be very tough. My 98 with all Ultegra down to the hubs (with Mavic Open Pros) has a great ride and comes in at 21.0 lbs with the Ulterga pedals. Around here that bike could bring more than $500 depending greatly on the condition of the frame, components and paint.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Easyup View Post
    As you own a NeilPryde Diablo this will not be your racer and if it look as good as the photo suggests (much better than typical '99s) I would do all I could to keep it as stock as your fit will allow.
    Absolutely agree. If the fit is right, the only thing I would do is change the orientation and position of the bars/shifters to suit my tastes and swap out the saddle. I do have a set of Neuvation M28s that I could throw on there that I am very happy with if the Rolfs won't cut it.

    Really excited to see the condition and throw a leg over it. Thankfully, my wife is onboard. I mentioned maybe selling my Specialized if this one works out....her response, "Why?"

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    554
    I bought a used '99 trek 2500 in 2009, it was a very similar bike (chorus 9 instead of Ultegra, Rolf wheels had been changed to cosmic elites) and I paid $500 for it. Seemed fair at the time, but I've definitely seen better deals since. Mine had the same 1" threaded headset, but the fork is carbon. I took out the icon quill stem and added a quill stem adapter to use a more modern stem and fatter bars without the old school drop that I hated like you have on that bike. Pretty easy and improved the comfort 100%, though it's not exactly light.

  14. #14
    Hooked On Quack
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    70
    I had a '98 Zürich which was the reverse of this one, red frame with white name panels. I also have a '97 Buenos Aires that I just finished restoring to its out-the-door condition when I bought it in 1997. Both of those frames are Reynolds 853, with the Zürich being equipped with an Icon Air Rail carbon fiber fork and the BA with a Reynolds 525 steel fork. These specs came from the Lemond catalogs. I can't find my 1999 catalog at the moment but as I recall, the only things that changed were the color schemes on the frames.

    The '98 Zürich came with Ultegra 9-speed [either double or triple] and rode on Mavic Open Pro wheels. The Bontrager tagged stuff didn't start showing up until 1999. I rode my '98 Zürich up until 2011 when I broke the drive side chain stay/drop out casting. Hit a pot hole while riding in the dark; was at a pretty good clip descending a mountain pass and didn't spot it. I had a solid 13 years of use out of that frame and had 60K miles on it. I really hated to see it go, but the Trek folks honored the "original owner" warrantee and replaced the frame with a Madone 5.9. I had wanted them to,just repair it but they politely, and firmly, said, "we don't do steel". OK then, no complaints from me! Sorry Gregy....

    As for sizing, I'm 5'11" and have a 33" inseam and my frame size was a 55; that's in Lemond speak which is a bit more relaxed. I'd check out the BB shell and the fork legs looking for chips and/or gouges which will be a sign of "heavy" usage, but not necessarily detrimental to the bike itself. The handle bar looks like it's tipped too far forward which may be the reason the saddle is so low; weird positioning for sure. If you satisfy yourself on the size, bearing in mind that stem/seat post, and saddle will need tweaking, then it would be fairly priced at $500-600. You will have to factor in any "I want it" price bump! The only other factor that you might need to consider is, "how many bikes do I already own and what will the SO say?" );-0
    YMMV
    -dg
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.
    -- Sean Kelly

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by 200miler View Post
    As for sizing, I'm 5'11" and have a 33" inseam and my frame size was a 55; that's in Lemond speak which is a bit more relaxed. I'd check out the BB shell and the fork legs looking for chips and/or gouges which will be a sign of "heavy" usage, but not necessarily detrimental to the bike itself. The handle bar looks like it's tipped too far forward which may be the reason the saddle is so low; weird positioning for sure. If you satisfy yourself on the size, bearing in mind that stem/seat post, and saddle will need tweaking, then it would be fairly priced at $500-600. You will have to factor in any "I want it" price bump! The only other factor that you might need to consider is, "how many bikes do I already own and what will the SO say?" );-0
    YMMV
    -dg

    Great info...and good tips on the BB shell and fork legs, thanks! In case you want a reprint, you can find the '99 Lemond catalog as well as a lot of other Trek, Fisher, Klein & Lemond catalogs here.

    You and I have pretty similar proportions. My inseam is just a half inch shorter. I'm really hoping when he says 54 or 56, that means it's a 55. Just looking at the geo charts, that would be really close to what I ride.

    As for the bikes I already own, currently there are four "road" bikes in the stable...and my wife has officially given up on that fight.

    2010 NeilPryde Diablo (love this bike...actually won it last April in a contest)
    2005 Specialized Allez (no worries of rain, snow or gravel)
    1989ish Raleigh Technium (first roadbike ever that my dad bought for me and I still managed to squeeze onto periodically)
    1997 Scott Vail (mtn bike converted to SS and drop bars....kid hauler extraordinaire)

    I'm missing the true steel roadie though. As you can see from the list, I don't spend a lot on my bikes (considering the Diablo was free), so the old Lemonds really appeal to me. Great frame from what I've read for a good price.

    Guy says he's off work at 3 and will call me then. This day can't go fast enough for me right now.
    Last edited by seemana; 07-17-2012 at 12:16 PM.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: carveitup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    826
    Mine is a 53 and I'm 5'8" tall. My comment about the stem was an assumption based on what was on my bike when I bought it (Icon bar and stem) but it was an ex-race bike and had also been updated to Dura-Ace and had CXP33 wheels on Ultegra hubs. The fork is carbon with a threaded steel steerer.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    413
    Took a look at the bike. One small paint chip, other than that perfect! Size.....55!

    Needs new tires, but came with Look pedals and Specialized shoes in my size even. Didn't try and haggle on price....brought it home for $500! Adjusted the bars and shifters and cruised the neighborhood a little. Feels right in line with my other bikes.

    Pics and story on how this thing has what appears to be no miles tomorrow.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 67caddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    491
    Good deal! When I saw the picture of the bike I thought, "Damn, that's the original handlebar tape." Nobody stocks that red cloth tape anymore. And from the way it was faded, it had to be 10 years old. Mine has a crap load of miles on it and the frame doesn't look near as good as that one. But it still rides nice. Keep your eyes open for a full carbon threadless fork. The ride quality on mine increased in a major way with a more compliant front end. Those old carbon forks don't compare to what is out there now. A set of short reach bars would be a big plus too. Congrats on your purchase. Post some pics once you get her set up to your likes.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    413
    Here's what it looked like after just adjusting bars/shifters and the seat.

    New rubber, dork disk removal and pedal swap all got done later.

    Today I'm on the hunt for silver, short reach bars with a classic bend. That should give me the reach I want. Right now I'm just a bit too stretched out.

    The condition is near perfect. Two marks on it and both are nothing more than small nicks on stickers.



    '99 Lemond Zurich - I think....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1342617455.220752.jpg
    '99 Lemond Zurich - I think....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1342617498.255359.jpg
    '99 Lemond Zurich - I think....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1342617517.306270.jpg
    '99 Lemond Zurich - I think....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1342617533.136065.jpg
    '99 Lemond Zurich - I think....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1342617552.121696.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails '99 Lemond Zurich - I think....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1342617479.133315.jpg  

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: leadout_kv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    357
    Nice looking bike for $500.

    Where did you find your Zurich, Craigslist?

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 67caddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    491
    Looks great. You will find that the front hub is a real bear to service. It is some sort of "sealed" hub that requires a special tool to service. The rear hub is a standard set of cones and free bearings. The front hub was such a pain in the ass that I would just squeeze in fresh grease once a year for the first two years I had the bike. Then I got a set of Rolf Vector Pros for the bike. If memory serves, those are even the same tires that came new on the bike.....Smart move to get new tire/tubes before going any further than up and down the driveway.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by LubbersLine View Post
    Nice looking bike for $500.

    Where did you find your Zurich, Craigslist?
    I did. On a whim, I was looking for a trail-a-bike for my neighbor while we sat at the kids t-ball and it had just been listed. Right place, right time. I've never found one on the local CL before.


    Quote Originally Posted by 67caddy View Post
    If memory serves, those are even the same tires that came new on the bike.....Smart move to get new tire/tubes before going any further than up and down the driveway.


    Yup...original tires, Continental GP3000. They don't look absolutely terrible, but no way I was going to take a chance of ruining the first shakedown ride with a flat (or two).

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 67caddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    491
    This week I just moved the Ultegra components from my 99 Lemond to 4 year old aluminum/carbon frame that fits me a little better now. Everything still works fine after 13 years of use. The first 10 years it got lots of use, but sat as spare since then. Other than pulley wheels and bottom bracket replacement, the only part that wore out was the right STI shifter wore out after 9 years.

    Now I've got to figure out what to do with my old Lemond frame. Like I said before, I put a full carbon threadless fork and headset on it 3 years ago.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    71
    That's a great looking Zurich! And a nice find. Congratulations. I'm currently working on a complete restoration on my 97 Buenos Aires and I'm into for nearly that much on the repaint.

    Enjoy.

    Dave

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Hot Deals

Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook