RoadBikeReview Member

Advice on starting a high school cycling club...

I teach high school, and for a few years I have envisioned forming a high school cycling club. In an ongoing effort to get kids back outside and off of their Playstations, I thought it would be great to have a club that would meet on Club Day, and then ride once a month or so either on the road or on our trails here in Virginia. I am looking for corporate support in an effort to purchase 10 bikes (maybe 5 road and 5 MTB) to keep for the club, because the economic condition of this area is really bad right now, so kids can ride even w/o owning a bike. Any suggestions on that front? I know cycling in high school is big in CA and CO, but we have excellent roads and scenery in southwest Virginia, too. Any advice/experience is greatly appreciated!!

Everything's Bigger in TX
    Great idea. Might hit up your local cycling groups as well. Good advertising.
    Check with local businesses (especially medical).
    My friend's wife is an Eye doc and hopefully she's getting some kits with Eyes and the Eye charts and stuff for our jersies ("free" advertising, especially for the charity events we ride).

Same would be true for the corporate sponsors. Sell it as not just during season but year round advertising on the jersies....

Good luck!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Maybe take out an add in the local paper or post on a bullitan board asking people to donate bikes they aren't using. I'd guess there are a few people with bikes they never use that would be more than happy having them put to this use.

I didn't even own a cat..
    I tried it last fall. The hard part is that they ride mostly beat up mountain bikes. I had them ride 12mi which was rough on them. I really would like to turn it into riders that are interested in cycling. I would enjoy collaborating on getting good ideas and a guideline for a cycling club. I want them to ride once a week not once a month.
    2008 Louis Garneau Sonix 6.4
    2002 KHS Flite 500
    1999 Gary Fisher Big Sur

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Since you know about HS cycling in California, you certainly have gotten advice from the NorCal HS Mountain Bike League, right? The league has tackled every obstacle you may have and is eager to support your goal.

Medical & health care groups are a good idea. Local bike shops and cycle clubs are also ideal sponsors. Since you are in SW Va (which has fabulous riding, you are right!), you should also explore contacts at all the local colleges and universities- Radford, Va Tech, Hollins, even New River CC.

I'm involved in The NorCal League, and what is really needed to make your project work is a core of dedicated volunteers who can keep things moving. More than bikes, you need coaches, ride leaders, fellow evangelists. Monetary sponsorship is secondary to that.
    Last edited by Chef Tony; 02-13-2010 at 10:15 AM.

old school drop out
    The NorCal HS Leauge (mentioned above) came to mind too.

Also, IMBA (International Mountain Bike Association) has several programs for kids. Check out their SprocKids program - it maybe a little below the level that you're interested in, but it's a place to start.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    Contact your district's grant coordinator. Healthy Schools grant comes to mind as something that might cover this.