Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    I think Rapha is great, I just hope the fat women don't start to wear cycling kit like they have flocked to the yoga pants.

How did this become socially acceptable?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Aadub View Post
    I think Rapha is great, I just hope the fat women don't start to wear cycling kit like they have flocked to the yoga pants.

When people realized that the beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I know a few guys who prefer larger size woman.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    I wonder what he would think if he saw this.... took the pic in London.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Colnago Master Athena 11 / CAAD10 3 / Cannondale Tandem / Civia Loring / Ibis Mojo

Nothing is free.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    When people realized that the beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I know a few guys who prefer larger size woman.
    I was going to say it was when people realized women should be able to dress how they want for comfort not for the eyes of men......but apparently I'm jumping the gun on that one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    I'm sure the CEO said this as "tongue in cheek." When it got reported, the context was lost and came across as a serious comment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stanseven View Post
    I'm sure the CEO said this as "tongue in cheek." When it got reported, the context was lost and came across as a serious comment.
    I hate to stereotype but: He is English and no one in their right mind would expect London city cyclists to be all snazzed up in high end gear.....so that totally makes sense.

If he was Italian or French I would take his comments literally and as him being serious.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    I have yet to see a Rapha jersey that I like, so apparently his idea of "stylish" and mine are far apart. To each their own...
    ^^^^^ This
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Aadub View Post

Same thing happened to The North Face. Every sedentary, out of shape, outdoor enthusiast wannabe started wearing black North Face clothing with the logo over the rear shoulder. That's when The North Face jumped the shark.

Re: Rapha: They created an image, a lifestyle, and as a result, product desirability. Just like Grant Petersen and Rivendell, it will polarize people. I think Simon's intention to create a lower tiered, more affordable clothing line will dilute the brand even though it may increase profits. Next thing you know, we'll be seeing people riding hybrids while wearing Rapha-how gauche!

Shut up legs
    Nov 2013
    I just heard about Rapha a week or two ago and wanted to visit the shop here in NYC to get some food/coffee and see how it's like. But after that statement idk.
    '14 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 105
    '15 Giant Defy 5 (commuter)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I hate to stereotype but: He is English and no one in their right mind would expect London city cyclists to be all snazzed up in high end gear.....so that totally makes sense.

If he was Italian or French I would take his comments literally and as him being serious.
    If I am Italian or French, I would be sending you something right now.

The Slow One.
    I own stuff from pretty much every manufacturer, and just about each one does certain things better than others (my subjective view). And yes, Rapha kit is in there too.

I wear their merino wool base layers a lot. I raced in their soft shell base later yesterday. I have several of their cycling caps, which are in the rotation during colder and wetter months. That stuff just works for me.

I had a pair of their bibs that I wore a lot until I didn't fit them anymore (lost weight). Well-designed and durable, they were my go-to bibs when I was riding more than 75 miles. At the time, I had trouble finding bibs that didn't chafe during longer rides, but the Raphas just worked for me. I got them on clearance, and they were worth it for me at the price I paid.

To be honest, I don't think I've paid retail for any of my Rapha kit. I wait for sales or coupons or whatever, then buy what I want/need.

Everything I've purchased from them has shown attention to detail. Placement of zippers and other small details for comfort/function are obviously considered. Some things have justified their cost more than others. My soft shell jacket from them is nice, but not significantly more so than my Sugoi jacket that was considerably cheaper.

Their styling? Some of it I really like. Some of it I don't. Since most of my outer kit is team kit, it's kind of a non-issue for me. I tend to favor clean lines and dark colors (dirt), so a lot of what they sell isn't completely offensive to me.

The pricing? Yeah, a bit overboard in a lot of cases. I could say that about a lot of brands. I don't mind spending a bunch of money on bibs that work for me, because that's a major contact point. Jerseys? Not so much. Again, the sales drop the prices to more reasonable levels, although some things still are too expensive (subjective).

Jerks wearing the kit? Let's be honest- jerks aren't jerks because they throw on Rapha. That ship sailed long before they threw a leg over a top tube. There's probably more out there wearing Assos than Rapha. If I see a guy decked head to toe in Rapha (or any other premium brand), I figure he's really into conveying a certain image. It's no more an indicator of ability than a Primal beer jersey and Performance bibs. If that's all you notice, you're looking at the wrong things.

Rapha is promoting a certain image and culture, and they seem to be doing well with that. In today's business world, carving your own stable niche isn't easy. More power to them. It's another option out there. I'd rather have a range of choices than to be left with cheap, poorly-made kit that can't last half a season without falling apart. I try to buy things that last so I don't have to milk the life out of a rapidly-deteriorating piece that never quite did the job in the first place. Form follows function.

In the end, you do you. If cheap works, great. If exclusive and premium are all you will wear, great. Your kit manufacturer isn't going to turn the pedals for you (although I heard Rapha's Cycling Clubs may be rolling out valets to do this task).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jokes on him. I buy all my kit from China direct, LOL. One kit even says Rapha on it - wrong font and all (not I that I chose it for that). actually the most comfy well fitted cycling clothing I have purchased, and I have bought from most of the makers over 40 years. and heck, I also wear a full-hiviz jersey (US made) quite often too as I think black kit is tantamount to camouflage. Not concerned with fashion, and my household income would dwarf most Rapha Ralphs.

If I ever decide to buy Rapha, and I might, I really do not care what the company founder says or thinks.
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 05-14-2017 at 10:38 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016

After reading this I'd probably never shop Rapha ever again

I really dislike Rapha for the look (I am more the racer type) but I recognize that they do a great Marketing (also polarizing the people with this interview) and there is a market for that type of clothing. I suppose the quality is ok also.
    However the perception of the esthetics/ look is pretty much in relation with the part of the world where you live. Living in the UK is pretty much different than living in Europe like France, Italy etc....and living in the US continent is pretty much different to Europe. I also understand the appeal of the "european style" living now in the US continent. Europe is very far and you tend to believe the marketing of the European brands.

For me the best quality is still Assos. Their design however has changed quite a lot in the last 15 years. Unfortunately less "racing" and much more "exclusive". Castelli looks more racing (rosso corsa) but the quality is pretty much average.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    I wonder what he would think if he saw this.... took the pic in London.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The guy is wearing Assos.

a real member's member
    ^ beautiful photo, alex!
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    RAPHA is all over NYC. Enough said.

RoadBikeReview Member
    CEO wants everyone to buy his company's stuff? Wow, who'da thunk?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...to-a-lifestyle

Simon Mottram, the chief executive of the cyclewear brand Rapha, is the cycling world’s equivalent of the fashion police, and a rush hour ride across London last week only reinforced his belief in the need for his upmarket gear. “The amount of people on bikes was amazing because it was a sunny morning but actually nine out of 10 looked absolutely appalling,” he says. “Not only did they look terrible but the stuff they were wearing …” He tails off muttering about sweaty high-vis jackets and the probable chafe caused by baggy shorts.
    I think you may be missing something. Virtually all reporting today tells you more about the agenda of the reporter than the subject.

Journalism itself is driven by fashionable narratives. Bashing successful achievers while extolling the virtues of / excuses for perpetual failure is highly marketable today. It has become the dietary staple of those lacking ambition and a sense of personal responsibility (the new majority).

Consider the possibility that hearing first hand what this guy said with voice inflection and context would likely leave you with a different impression.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    What sporting gear "look(s) cool" or fashionable?

How many NFL football fans walk around in football-ing knickers and a 'strap? Heck even the referees in that sport stopped wearing the knickers....lately even players have started wearing their knickers more like cycling shorts.

How many fans of wrestling think the wrestling onesie is an awesome looks cool piece of fashion?

Do you see lots of Speedos at the community pool? (not in the USA anyway...)

I could go right on down the line. Unless you're doing the activity, wearing the sports gear looks goofy. Besides, most people don't have the athletic body build that makes the kit "look good" (as opposed to about cringe inducing) anyway. There's a reason we have slurs like "muffin-top" in the English language. Cyclists just like to rib one another for trivial crap. Cyclists are among the few that can stop in mid-activity for a beer or a coffee, and get right back into it.
    Really? Ever seen anyone in a golf shirt who wasn't playing golf? Tennis shirt? Tennis shoes? Baseball jersey? Football jersey? Basketball shoes? Basketball jersey? Motorcycle jacket? Rugby jersey? Soccer shorts? Soccer jersey? Ever worn running shoes when not running? Ever worn a baseball hat when not playing baseball?

Don't be that guy. I was making the point that cycling clothing - being very (!) sport/function-specific is not exactly the coolest gear in the eyes of non-cyclists.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by greg12666 View Post
    RAPHA is all over NYC. Enough said.
    Fyi, no gives a s&*t about NYC. Say hello to Silicon Valley.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    MTB gear. The baggies and loose fitting shirts (no dork pockets). This exclude the roadies on dirt guys that normally call themselves 'XC riders'.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    What sporting gear "look(s) cool" or fashionable?

How many NFL football fans walk around in football-ing knickers and a 'strap? Heck even the referees in that sport stopped wearing the knickers....lately even players have started wearing their knickers more like cycling shorts.

How many fans of wrestling think the wrestling onesie is an awesome looks cool piece of fashion?

Do you see lots of Speedos at the community pool? (not in the USA anyway...)

I could go right on down the line. Unless you're doing the activity, wearing the sports gear looks goofy. Besides, most people don't have the athletic body build that makes the kit "look good" (as opposed to about cringe inducing) anyway. There's a reason we have slurs like "muffin-top" in the English language. Cyclists just like to rib one another for trivial crap. Cyclists are among the few that can stop in mid-activity for a beer or a coffee, and get right back into it.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wait... as a cyclist I'm tool
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have burned through a lot of kit over the years and I have come to the conclusion that I have no problem paying for quality. If it's Rapha, Assos or Castelli I always feel like I got my moneys worth. The fit, style, longevity, and function have never disappointed from those brands.
    I will admit that I am a deal seeking bastard. I am not too proud to search Ebay or wear some second hand swag. I don't think I have paid full retail for any of those products.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12