Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

After reading this I'd probably never shop Rapha ever again

https://www.theguardian.com/business...to-a-lifestyle

Simon Mottram, the chief executive of the cyclewear brand Rapha, is the cycling world’s equivalent of the fashion police, and a rush hour ride across London last week only reinforced his belief in the need for his upmarket gear. “The amount of people on bikes was amazing because it was a sunny morning but actually nine out of 10 looked absolutely appalling,” he says. “Not only did they look terrible but the stuff they were wearing …” He tails off muttering about sweaty high-vis jackets and the probable chafe caused by baggy shorts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Fecal indicator
    meh, wasn't a customer even before learning the CEO was a douche...
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I fail to see what is cool or hip about the pink brand name and pink stripe on one sleeve.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    bought a few base layer items marked down off season. The stuff isn't bad. Arrogant statement. Cycling is an egalitarian activity. CEO doesn't get it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    So wait, the CEO is snobby and pretentious? I did not see that coming

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...to-a-lifestyle

Simon Mottram, the chief executive of the cyclewear brand Rapha, is the cycling world’s equivalent of the fashion police, and a rush hour ride across London last week only reinforced his belief in the need for his upmarket gear. “The amount of people on bikes was amazing because it was a sunny morning but actually nine out of 10 looked absolutely appalling,” he says. “Not only did they look terrible but the stuff they were wearing …” He tails off muttering about sweaty high-vis jackets and the probable chafe caused by baggy shorts.
    He seems to be implying that one can not look ridiculous while cycling. Even if you have matching kit, you're still going to look like a complete tool. Moreover, if we cared about looking ridiculous, we wouldn't ride at all.

This reminds me of when Mike Jeffries said he only wanted thin and beautiful people shopping at his stores.
    Abercrombie Wants Thin Customers - Business Insider
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Simon is attempting to market via "snob appeal". It's not a new concept.

Adorable Furry Hombre

There's a reason why the Velominati "Rules" had such popular appeal as a citation among cyclists
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    There's a reason why the Velominati "Rules" had such popular appeal as a citation among cyclists
    the rules were meant as a joke

RoadBikeReview Member
    the rules were meant as a joke
    Yeah, but plenty of those spouting "the rules" don't get the joke.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Yeah, but plenty of those spouting "the rules" don't get the joke.

that just makes it all the more funny

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Publicity stunt is not a new concept either. I wasn't aware of that brand till now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    So wait, the CEO is snobby and pretentious? I did not see that coming
    no kidding...ppl would probably own less then 70% of the stuff they have now based on CEO lifestyle/traits

Sorry.. I'm buying Rapha and will continue to be an RCC member..

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    I have yet to see a Rapha jersey that I like, so apparently his idea of "stylish" and mine are far apart. To each their own...
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    I'm not very brand loyal. Generally buy what fits and feels best. Usually that aint Rapha, though I did like some of their long sleeve merino base layers a few years ago, but nobody really sees that when I ride.

I looked into some of their rides and vacations. Very overpriced trips and the group rides always looked chaotic. Nobody in a pace line etc. I guess the only way to convince someone to pay more is to use an elitist tactic, like if you pay top dollar you're in an exclusive club. Usually when I think of this Grouch Marx comes to mind, something about not wanting to join any club that would have him as a member

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not as bad as LuluLemon CEO.

Comical to think of someone so focused on what other cyclists are wearing that the term "appalling" comes to their mind. It's people on bikes getting from A to B. Not everyone is interested in being a rolling fashion statement.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxKatt View Post
    Not as bad as LuluLemon CEO.

Comical to think of someone so focused on what other cyclists are wearing that the term "appalling" comes to their mind. It's people on bikes getting from A to B. Not everyone is interested in being a rolling fashion statement.

Further you're talking about cyclists.

Everyone on a bike looks like a dork/dweeb to the 99% who are not cyclists.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Very overpriced trips and the group rides always looked chaotic. Nobody in a pace line etc. I guess the only way to convince someone to pay more is to use an elitist tactic, like if you pay top dollar you're in an exclusive club.
    I don't have a squirrel in this parade, but these two ideas look very strange paired together.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Assos 4 life!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    My wife has the same attitude about baby clothing. She thinks most are dressed as clowns, and a lot of mental issues in adults can probably be traced to childhood clothing scars. She'd prefer they be dressed in taupe.

I would wear Rapha, but the line is too demure. I have to share the road with too many inattentive drivers, and always go for high visibility clothing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Further you're talking about cyclists.

Everyone on a bike looks like a dork/dweeb to the 99% who are not cyclists.
    ^this^

If fashion were the first... okay any consideration when choosing a sport, cycling would NOT be in my consideration set. Once a cyclist accepts two facts: 1) Only cyclists think cycling gear looks cool and 2) Cyclists don't care about other cyclists' gear, choosing cycling gear gets a lot easier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I observed some pretty sh!tty antics by some 'Ralpha" guys during a ride and have disliked what they do and how they do it ever since.This confirms it.
    Peace Y'all.
    The guys that get snotty about bar wrapping need to ride more and judge less.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    ^this^

If fashion were the first... okay any consideration when choosing a sport, cycling would NOT be in my consideration set. Once a cyclist accepts two facts: 1) Only cyclists think cycling gear looks cool and 2) Cyclists don't care about other cyclists' gear, choosing cycling gear gets a lot easier.

What sporting gear "look(s) cool" or fashionable?

How many NFL football fans walk around in football-ing knickers and a 'strap? Heck even the referees in that sport stopped wearing the knickers....lately even players have started wearing their knickers more like cycling shorts.

How many fans of wrestling think the wrestling onesie is an awesome looks cool piece of fashion?

Do you see lots of Speedos at the community pool? (not in the USA anyway...)

I could go right on down the line. Unless you're doing the activity, wearing the sports gear looks goofy. Besides, most people don't have the athletic body build that makes the kit "look good" (as opposed to about cringe inducing) anyway. There's a reason we have slurs like "muffin-top" in the English language. Cyclists just like to rib one another for trivial crap. Cyclists are among the few that can stop in mid-activity for a beer or a coffee, and get right back into it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I agree with Simon. I think most look borderline ridiculous. Me included in my teams kit. It's sad. I've tried to change it but, I'm in the minority for change.

I like the Rapha look and think it would make most look better for sure but, the price tag is just too high for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast