RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Altimeter computers

Any suggestions on a good computer that provides altimeter readings? Don's want to spend an arm and a leg!

Devoid of all flim-flam
    They're never truly accurate, but my wife's VDO MC1.0 and my Specialized Elite give us fairly believable readings. My Specialized Elite was about $90.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like the Garmin 500, but they are not exactly cheap.

Roll Out Jeremy

Sigma

ROX 8, or ROX 9
    Good accuracy...
    Ollie Ollie Oxen Free
    "Don't believe everything you think"

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    I liked the Specialized Elite pretty well and found it to be reasonably accurate. Switched to a Garmin 800 but should have savved some coin and gone with the 500. The Cateye Adventure is a bit more $ than the Elite but has grade plus elevation/climb. The Cateye is a bit small for older eyes though.
    "Five and Dime, all the time!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have used a Cateye Adventure for about a year now. I've never confirmed the accuracy of the actual elevation reading, but it is very consistent with it's measurement of total climbed in a ride with the same course coming in within a few feet each time. I like that it also has grade percentage. It's nice to be able to confirm there's a valid reason why I'm going so slowly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Garmin Edge 200 give GPS altitude. I don't know if it will show you on the unit itself but it will after uploading your ride to Garmin Connect. $150 list price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Barometric pressure based altimeters will all vary if the pressure changes during your ride (and it probably will). And I'm pretty sure you’ll find that they are all pressure based.

The garmins I have and have used claim to do some sort of elevation correction (theoretically, using known elevations by GPS to 'smooth' the elevation chart) but my experience has shown otherwise. (Hill repeats with consistently higher 'low' elevation points - on the same hill!!)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I have the Cateye adventure. $90 on EBay. The readings are believable, but when I wake it from sleep mode the indicated altitude varies slightly from actual, but the total elevation change is what I am interested in. The readings I get are usually pretty close to what my friends' Garmins read. I like it because it is small and easy to read and has slope. If it says I climbed 5000 feet and I actually climbed 4837ft or 5179ft is it really that much different? That is close enough for me, I'm not training for the TDF.

RoadBikeReview Member

Red face Garmin 705...and alternatives

I had a Garmin 705 until it recently got stolen with my bike. I liked it but found its altitude readings way off. I also have a 15-year old Suunto watch and an altitude/GPS app on my Android and both of them were usually close together but the Garmin was usually 150 feet off.

Great thing about the Garmin is that it works well uploading to Strava. But my Strava Android app also works with Strava. Now that the Garmin has been stolen I want to try something different. Seems like the Cateye Adventure is the favorite of people on this group. I want something that does altitude, grade, heart rate, cadence (and of course total distance etc). Anybody else have any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Jeff

Enthusiast
    I've heard good feedback about the VDO MC1.0 (wired) so that's what's in my watch list since the Garmin 500 is beyond reach for me. Just suggesting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferry99 View Post
    Seems like the Cateye Adventure is the favorite of people on this group.
    I had the Cateye Adventure as I mentioned previously. Just wanted to pass on that all three of the HID lights I tried interfered with its signal in one way or another. I decided to go with a Garmin 500 and am very happy with the upgrade. No interference with any of the lights, tons more data and the capability to upload to various online tracking/training sites made it more than worth the small additional cost compared to what I paid for the Adventure. If I was trying to make a decision between the two, the Garmin wins without question.

By the way, the Adventure was not easy to set up and the directions were not very helpful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinjukan View Post
    I've heard good feedback about the VDO MC1.0 (wired) so that's what's in my watch list since the Garmin 500 is beyond reach for me. Just suggesting.
    That is what I had before going with the Garmin 705. The VDO MC1 (wired) is absolutely great. So many good features. I found it quite accurate. You need to reset it for your home altitude each time you ride if you want good absolute readings, but for just total ascent and grade, it is not necessary to do that. It is easy to reset for home. I loved the thing. Gave to a good friend when my wife sprang for the 705.