Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Am I the only one who is annoyed by people rideing 2-wide on a MUT?

when there is opposing traffic coming? I mean what are the thought process of people doing this? Are they thinking, "Oh last time I moved over already, so this time I will reward myself by holding my dumbass 2-wide position". Or are the thinking, "Let's see of the other guys on the other side will flinch first". Or perhaps they're thinking, "well it's only 2 of them, and 4 of us, so we win thru sheer number. They'll flinch".

I see this shiat from all sort of riders, from the colorful kit wearing racer boys, to the flourescent wind jacket and mirror doning old men.

I mean if it was an automobile coming at you, you would want to sequeeze into a single file to perhaps avoid a possible collision, right?

Wave, dammit!

Am I the only one who is annoyed by people rideing 2-wide on a MUT?

Hey! Who you callin', "mirror donning"?

I agree, though, it's annoying. Happened to me just yesterday. Two young ladies riding their cruisers side-by-side, taking up 3/4 of the lane, talking to each other and oblivious to everything around them.

The ones that really get me, though, are the dog walkers who let their dog walk on the opposite side of the trail... stringing the retractable leash across the width of the roadway.
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Just be seen riding your bike.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    when there is opposing traffic coming? I mean what are the thought process of people doing this? Are they thinking, "Oh last time I moved over already, so this time I will reward myself by holding my dumbass 2-wide position". Or are the thinking, "Let's see of the other guys on the other side will flinch first". Or perhaps they're thinking, "well it's only 2 of them, and 4 of us, so we win thru sheer number. They'll flinch".

I see this shiat from all sort of riders, from the colorful kit wearing racer boys, to the flourescent wind jacket and mirror doning old men.

I mean if it was an automobile coming at you, you would want to sequeeze into a single file to perhaps avoid a possible collision, right?
    No your not the only one, trust me, we gotta create a group or something...

F@t B@st@rd
    Apr 2010
    MUT's must be different where you live. Here, they are for children, joggers, walking the dog and women with strollers etc. I've never seen an avid cyclist actually riding on them...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Never attribute to malice what can so easily be explained by incompetence.

Here's what I do: I move a bit to the left, then a bit more, then a bit more, inching ever closer to the center line that they have so obviously crossed over. IME it nearly always works to scare them back over to their side of the trail. Then I move back to my normal position. And if they don't move over then I hold my position, even resorting to a HEADS UP! yell if they don't get the message. I'm going to force them over because experience teaches that people this clueless are just as likely to drift even further into my space.

Master debator.
    I have to agree with the poster above, if you're doing any serious cycling at all why would you even ride on one? If that's all you have for riding I feel sorry for you...
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    err... before some of you go saying "an avid cyclist doesn't use MUTs", you might wanna maybe ask me how much training mileage (not junk commute mileage) I put in a week (with a full time job). Basically, I train about 20 hrs/wk. Plus about 3-4 hrs of commute mileage which is done exclusively on MUTs (why risk it on the big roads during peak hours when my city is known for its bicycle-friendly and promoting bicycling). That's a lot more avid than most people in here (people with full time jobs, that is). Furthermore, this particularly MUT I'm talking about is very scenic, with flowing river, a salt water sanctuary, dotted with habitat trees and various bird species. It's relaxing to the mind. It's exactly a legit reason for any avid cyclist to use to commute or for a recovery spin. I pay a lot of money to live in such a bicycle friendly city; I'd say I'm an avid cyclist. Besides, doing a recovery spin on the big roads puts me at risk of being buzzed by potential ahole racer boy peloton.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Never attribute to malice what can so easily be explained by incompetence.

Here's what I do: I move a bit to the left, then a bit more, then a bit more, inching ever closer to the center line that they have so obviously crossed over. IME it nearly always works to scare them back over to their side of the trail. Then I move back to my normal position. And if they don't move over then I hold my position, even resorting to a HEADS UP! yell if they don't get the message. I'm going to force them over because experience teaches that people this clueless are just as likely to drift even further into my space.
    oh I tried to do that routine, but I gave up on it already. For one, I'm 130 lbs, I'd lose 9 of 10 should a nutcase decides to "teach me a lesson". Two, all of my bikes cost a lot each, and some of them customs; it's like risking your Rolls Royce with a Buick. Not a wise decidion.

But I do have a beater mountain bike that I would fancy your technique, but again at 130 lbs.. i doubt myself a lot, especially if the other guys pedal like a bull

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Hey! Who you callin', "mirror donning"?

I agree, though, it's annoying. Happened to me just yesterday. Two young ladies riding their cruisers side-by-side, taking up 3/4 of the lane, talking to each other and oblivious to everything around them.

The ones that really get me, though, are the dog walkers who let their dog walk on the opposite side of the trail... stringing the retractable leash across the width of the roadway.
    hehe sorry for the mirror comment; it was a spontaneous one!

Just 2 weeks ago I almost ran over a golden retriever when it decided to dart across the MUT as it saw another dog! Dam owner had it on a leash that was too long. Owner was a lady in her 50s. But I've come to accept that dogs will be dogs, they can't think and don't have common sense like humans (whereas most riders are humans!).

I see tooo tooo many females, old and young, riding 2 even 3 wide taking up the whole dam trail, talking and yabbing like idiots. But to be fair, these people usually go slow, they don't hammer recklessly, and I don't mind them as I can usually wave them to move over and they usually do move over at the sight of my hand gesture. It's the men that usually are reluctant to move over.

Kids, well kids will be kids. You best slow down when you see them, period. Kids are only slightly smarter than dogs.

Big is relative
    When I started riding again after knee surgery last year, I started on a MUT in Snohomish, WA that gave me a nice flat out and back up to 35 or so miles. I would ride at 14-18 mph, slower around more pedestrian traffic, faster without. On certain afternoons there were groups that would ride at faster speeds in a pack taking up most of the MUT. I would do what Kerry said and ride next to the centerline to force them over. The most annoying thing was that there was a parallel road that had a nice shoulder. As soon as I built up some strength and endurance, I moved over to the road.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    All the cyclists in Minneapolis train on the bike trails. The trails are way safer than braving rush hour traffic. You do have to keep your head up, however, to avoid careless cyclists. But I would rather deal with careless cyclists than careless drivers!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    There's only one answer to such ignorance...AIRZOUND!!!!
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ..... I see this shiat from all sort of riders, from the colorful kit wearing racer boys, to the flourescent wind jacket and mirror doning old men.
    You're just chocked full of sunshine and smiles aren't you.

It would be nice if they were bicycle ONLY trails wouldn't it! But they aren't... They're Multi-Use Trails. Trails intended for use by bicycles, wheelchairs, equestrians, and pedestrians. The ones in my area even have a 20 MPH speed limit. Going slow.... is required.

But realistically... it's mostly just during weekends [and when the weather is beautiful] that the "tourist" on the trails are dangerous. Fortunately that's the same time a handful of roads that are busy during normal week days [during business hours] are like ghost towns. I bet you have some roads like that too!

And... I only use the mirror on my cycling glasses because old injuries and age makes it really difficult to always be able to turn my head far enough to get a peek behind me.

Maybe... I should try one of those tiny little mirrors stuck on the inside of my cycling glasses. Yeah... that's the ticket... then I won't look like an old coot.
    If I didn't bicycle when the weather is bad... I wouldn't be a cyclist. I'd just be another old fat man... with a bicycle hanging in his garage.

Urban Cycling.... Overcome your fears (a YouTube Link).
    Learn to cycle in traffic
    Or... just HTFU

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

The ones that really get me, though, are the dog walkers who let their dog walk on the opposite side of the trail... stringing the retractable leash across the width of the roadway.[/QUOTE]

I ride my restored Masi 3V on a MUT type path in NYC. There is nothing any of the folks have said on this thread that comes close to the insanity of the MUT by the Hudson River that goes up to the GW Bridge (ride
    and over to (9W) and relative safety of highway traffic!). You just need to take the additude that you will have a better ride experience if you assume that most riders are newbies, idiots or jerks. So, ride defensively and keep yourself and your bike in one piece. Confronting *******s on the road or MUT is just plain asking for trouble: especially if their bike handling skills aren't up to snuff. You move to the center and they panic and go down across the path; maybe they take the guy next to them down with them; plus the guy hehind them...and you too. You need to know that some MUTs are just junk miles until you get to a certain point...Remember, as the sage once said...Stay Vertical. OMMMM

Master debator.
    You had to know that if you posted here on RBR that you were riding on a MUT and didn't preface it with any background info you might have gotten such replies eh? No one knows where you live or what type of riding you have around you so naturally are going to catch a little grief for it
    Also there have been a number of threads complaining about the behavior of others on these types of trails. Someone so attuned to riding on the MUT should know better than to complain about the other idjits you're going to encounter on the trail, it's a given.

err... before some of you go saying "an avid cyclist doesn't use MUTs", you might wanna maybe ask me how much training mileage (not junk commute mileage) I put in a week (with a full time job). Basically, I train about 20 hrs/wk. Plus about 3-4 hrs of commute mileage which is done exclusively on MUTs (why risk it on the big roads during peak hours when my city is known for its bicycle-friendly and promoting bicycling). That's a lot more avid than most people in here (people with full time jobs, that is). Furthermore, this particularly MUT I'm talking about is very scenic, with flowing river, a salt water sanctuary, dotted with habitat trees and various bird species. It's relaxing to the mind. It's exactly a legit reason for any avid cyclist to use to commute or for a recovery spin. I pay a lot of money to live in such a bicycle friendly city; I'd say I'm an avid cyclist. Besides, doing a recovery spin on the big roads puts me at risk of being buzzed by potential ahole racer boy peloton.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemmelberg View Post
    All the cyclists in Minneapolis train on the bike trails. The trails are way safer than braving rush hour traffic. You do have to keep your head up, however, to avoid careless cyclists. But I would rather deal with careless cyclists than careless drivers!
    Are you talking Minneapolis, like really Minneapolis? Like the Greenway? Because out in the west 'burbs, I never see any guys on the MUT (ala Dakota Rail Trail, etc.). I ride around Lake Minnetonka and that area 5 days/week, and only see serious cyclists out on the highways (Hwy 19, Hwy 15, County Rd 24 up near Plymouth, etc.), and never on the MUTs.

If I hopped on the Dakota Rail Trail, I wouldn't last 5 min with all the 70 year olds tooling around, people walking their dogs, women power-walking w/headphones on, kids zig-zagging with their BMX bikes, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would ride indoors before messing with a MUT again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I see Italian guys doing this sometimes on an actual 2-lane highway. They will ride side by side chatting while one or more cars line up behind them, unable to pass because of a blind curve or an oncoming car. Quite rude and dangerous. If the following car blows their horn, they might glance back or shrug. Kind of embarrasses me to be riding anywhere nearby, lest I be associated with them by proximity.

Where's that GPS?
    Finishing a ride as a large group had just left the start - I'm on my far right and this large group is covering the road - I shout "Heads up! Rider coming through!" and people just stare at me and don't move over until the last minute. One fool yelled "You're going the wrong way!" (note: two lane road in Us of A and I'm on the far-right side)

I understand why some drivers get peed-off a cyclists - some of us don't even "share the road" with other cyclists!
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Yes, I'm talking Minneapolis. Some of us live in the City. Though the trail is still the best way to get out of town at rush hour if you're heading southwest (Chaska).

Seat's not level
    I always wondered why everyone was so upset when my wife and I ride side by side on the MUT. Generally we just turn up our headphones and get in the aero bars and hammer out a nice ride....
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. -- Abraham Lincoln, Unknown , Unknown

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a local MUT that goes for about 60 miles or so. I see this sort of thing all the time. I try to ride past it and forget about it as much as possible. It pisses me off when I let someone else's a-holeness ruin my good times....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Is what they're doing unsafe, or just annoying? Are you talking a MUT (unpaved trail) or MUP (paved path)? Many of our MUPs are wide enough for 3 abreast so if I'm a single and a 2 abreast comes at me but leaves safe enough room for me, even if they're over the center line, I don't worry about it. If they're not leaving enough room for me to get by safely I'll say something. Problems with other MUP users are fairly rare here, though probably tops are runners on the left. On MUTs my idea of enough room to pass safely is considerably wider than on a MUP.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    I have to agree with the poster above, if you're doing any serious cycling at all why would you even ride on one? If that's all you have for riding I feel sorry for you...
    MUTs aren't the only place we ride but we do ride thousands of miles on them every year. We ride on them because they are a great way to get around. When we ride on MUTs (rarely on weekends) we just assume anyone we encounter is a homicidal maniac and ride with complete caution.

Just because we are paranoid doesn't mean we are wrong!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    So you are familiar with the conditions on our local MUT? FYI it is nearly 70 miles long and sometimes you see 15 people (riders, walkers, skaters) in 25 miles of riding. I'm feeling better that you feel sorry for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast