Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

Talking American Flyers.

I queded up several cycling related movies from Netflix a couple of weeks ago and last night I sat through 'American Flyers'(85). And surprised to have seen my wife watching with me. After few an hour I was certain I had watched this before - probably late 80s

The opening scene - a puddle splashing bit reminded me of a cheesy "Mentos" commerical which nearly made me turn it off and watch reruns of the 'Family Guy' instead. But my wife stopped me to listen to the keyboard style, Kenny Loggins 80s music.

For the most part it wasnt a bad movie - cowboy hat in all. Kevin Costner sportin' a thick mustache, steel bikes, foam helmets and swing lever gearing was fun to watch.
    Hell of the West race(Coors classic) had some fun scenes - no SGI. (Remember when action movies didnt require computer animation).

I also was reminded of the old Soviet propoganda in this 80s movie - the overbuilt, stiff looking Russian contendor that didnt talk but grunted. In a modern version of this movie I would assume there would be some arrogant Italian or French dude instead!

RoadBikeReview Member
    One of my favorites of all time, even my 5 year old daughter enjoys the movie. (I do make sure she does not watch some of the scenes).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Once in a while as I leave for a race I ask my partner if she wants to come give me a hand up. As dramatically as she can she thrusts her arm forward and yells, "Here! You NEED this!" and bursts out laughing. Classic stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudio14
    One of my favorites of all time, even my 5 year old daughter enjoys the movie. (I do make sure she does not watch some of the scenes).
    It kind of pales in comparison to "Breaking Away," doesn't it?

cheers
    Fun fact: Apparently during one take, in a scene where Rae Dawn Chong does a super-quick ninja wheel change for a team member (maybe Costner, I forget), she then absent-mindedly chucked the wheel away afterwards into the road, wiping out several cycling extras. Obviously, that part didn't make it into the film.

Don't know whether to laugh over that one or go

Oh, and apparently Eddy Merckx had a cameo in the movie as well.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: I kicked Lance in the nuts. Err, nut.

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

AM999: Romney 320 Electoral votes, Obama 218. Colorado profs' [prediction] model, 100% accurate since 1980.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day,it blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I think Breaking Away comes in next....

As far the actors in American Flyers, I noticed most of them:
    Black/"Cherokee" girl - I have seen here several times jsut dont know in what movie/show?
    Marcus sport medicine boss - best known for his role in Coming to America and a Die Hard movie.
    The hitchhiker blond - dont know where but have seen her before?
    David(brother) - never seen him in anything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Kevin Costner apparently did his own riding..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Curious to know if Costner rides these days - wonder if he's in the 'Podium boys' section for all the ladies to check out

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnStonebarger
    It kind of pales in comparison to "Breaking Away," doesn't it?
    It certainly suffered by comparison with writer Steve Tesich's oscar-winning work in the prior film, but it's not bad on its own terms. Tesich only did one other movie after AF in '85, but wrote some successful plays. He died age 53 in 1996.

The Cube
    Quote Originally Posted by jacks dad
    I think Breaking Away comes in next....

As far the actors in American Flyers, I noticed most of them:
    Black/"Cherokee" girl - I have seen here several times jsut dont know in what movie/show?
    Marcus sport medicine boss - best known for his role in Coming to America and a Die Hard movie.
    The hitchhiker blond - dont know where but have seen her before?
    David(brother) - never seen him in anything.
    Rae Dawn Chong- Commando

Alexandra Paul- Baywatch

movies is pretty good but a little goofy to watch just because of its 80's ness.
    K$

vexatious enigma
    I watched that movie a few months ago and liked it. I watched it through Youtube and it had something like 10 parts to it, haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    Unlike Roebuck, you do "do" people.
    Maybe Judas did it for a Klondike bar.

Life in the fast lane with no brakes

RoadBikeReview Member
    both good movies for different reasons. AF reminds me of the Coors Classic, especially the Tour of the Moon stage. By the way, Christian Vande Velde's father was one of the Team Cinzano guys in Breaking away (plus an olympic team rider).

Wave, dammit!
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia
    It certainly suffered by comparison with writer Steve Tesich's oscar-winning work in the prior film, but it's not bad on its own terms. Tesich only did one other movie after AF in '85, but wrote some successful plays. He died age 53 in 1996.
    Tesich went to IU on a wrestling scholarship and took up cycling there. He participated in the school's "Little 500" race that was depicted in Breaking Away and was a avid cyclist thereafter. If memory serves, they actually shot AF in conjunction with the Coors Classic, using the crowds that were already gathered for the actual race.

+1 on his plays, especially the last four: Square One, The Speed of Darkness, On The Open Road and Arts & Leisure

He wrote two books as well: Summer Crossing and Karoo

If you're looking for a non-cycling screenplay of his, I would recommend The World According to Garp. He adapted Irving's novel into the screenplay for the film. Robin Williams, Glenn Close, John Lithgow in drag... what's not to like...
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Just be seen riding your bike.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Jeez! I hope he wasn't the guy with the pump.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

vexatious enigma
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike
    both good movies for different reasons. AF reminds me of the Coors Classic, especially the Tour of the Moon stage. By the way, Christian Vande Velde's father was one of the Team Cinzano guys in Breaking away (plus an olympic team rider).
    "I dunno dear. We could always strangle him when he's asleep."
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    Unlike Roebuck, you do "do" people.
    Maybe Judas did it for a Klondike bar.

Life in the fast lane with no brakes

I do not like titles
    favorite quote:
    Why do you have to hate on Nebraska ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kmunny19
    Rae Dawn Chong- Commando

Alexandra Paul- Baywatch

movies is pretty good but a little goofy to watch just because of its 80's ness.
    Yes, Rae Dawn Chong, daughter of Tommy Chong of "Cheech and Chong" fame. Best role - Quest For Fire!

Marcus the sports medicine guy. That's John Amos, whose probably best known for playing the father on the 70's sitcom "Good Times".

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by GearDaddy
    Yes, Rae Dawn Chong, daughter of Tommy Chong of "Cheech and Chong" fame. Best role - Quest For Fire!

Marcus the sports medicine guy. That's John Amos, whose probably best known for playing the father on the 70's sitcom "Good Times".

"Marcus" was the character played by Costner... Jennifer Grey also had a small role. Lee Ritenour did some of the music.

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I was channel surfing a few weeks ago and found the movie on a Spanish channel.

So I entertained myself for a little while watching and listening even though I understand NO Spanish. Well - I do understand "NO".

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo425
    I watched that movie a few months ago and liked it. I watched it through Youtube and it had something like 10 parts to it, haha.

come on, you can afford the 5.49
    http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewprod...ductId=5786426

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member

Tesich and Garp screenplay

Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569
    If you're looking for a non-cycling screenplay of his, I would recommend The World According to Garp. He adapted Irving's novel into the screenplay for the film. Robin Williams, Glenn Close, John Lithgow in drag... what's not to like...
    I didn't know that. That is a fabulous movie. One of Robin Williams's best acting jobs, IMO. And Lithgow as a former pro football player who's had a sex change ("I was a wide receiver; they said I had great hands") is really great; funny, but real and moving. The whole film is a savagely funny tragedy.

Wave, dammit!
    I agree, Williams is pretty great in that and it's nice to see Lithgow showing his comic chops long before Third Rock From The Sun.

Some other trivia for you, Breaking Away actually started out as a movie just about the "Cutters". When Tesich pitched the idea, the studio wasn't enthusiastic and asked him what else he was working on. On the spur of the moment, he tossed out the idea of a kid who rides a bike and thinks he's Italian. Tesich was asked to write a treatment. He basically combined the two plot lines and Breaking Away was born.

American Flyers has its moments, but I can't escape the feeling that too much of it centers around trying to get Alexandra Paul's clothes off. NTTAWWT.

Does anyone else around here wonder why there hasn't been a really good (and more modern) film about cycling? The Flying Scotsman is a good movie, but I'm thinking more about team racing. I know cycling represents a relatively small part of the overall sports world, but with its recent gains in popularity, the L.A. effect, and the inherent drama built in to stage races, you'd think someone would be working on something.
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Just be seen riding your bike.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569
    Does anyone else around here wonder why there hasn't been a really good (and more modern) film about cycling? The Flying Scotsman is a good movie, but I'm thinking more about team racing. I know cycling represents a relatively small part of the overall sports world, but with its recent gains in popularity, the L.A. effect, and the inherent drama built in to stage races, you'd think someone would be working on something.
    Yeah, you'd think. But maybe the audience that can perceive that "inherent drama" is still pretty small -- mostly bike geeks like us.

There are occasional films where cycling of one kind or another is a major theme. My favorite recent ones are "The Triplets of Bellville" and "Deux Secondes."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Speaking of cycling movies, one of the best I saw is one I can't remember the name of! It was a short (maybe 30min.?), black and white documentary by a French director (can't remember who) about the Tour and the best scene was when the domestiques raided a country pub and stuffed their jerseys with sparkling mineral water (glass bottles no less!) and the odd bottle of wine. The proprietor would allow this and send the Tour organization a bill later. Does anyone know the name of this documentary?

RoadBikeReview Member
    "Let's hurt a little!"
    I believe the children are the future. Teach them well and let them lead the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast