Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    It's not the heat, it's the humidity. And yes, it is effin' oppressive.
    This reminds me of a very sick joke that made the rounds, back in 1945:

Person A: Did you know that when they dropped the bomb on Hiroshima, the temperature at ground zero was 50,000F?

Person B: Yeah, but it was a dry heat.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Sunday -- ordinarily a day I like to sleep in and not get out on the bike until 9:00 or sometimes even 10:00AM -- I went out at 7:00AM. Managed to get a 30 mile ride in before the temps hit 90°F.

And then I'm home with the entire day to kill! Where's the fun in that?!?! This sucks.
    I do evening rides, though I do admit AM must be cooler as the ground has had 12 hours to cool off before you get out there.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    glad to hear folks are strugglin'. it's been pretty nice here in the pac nw.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    And then I'm home with the entire day to kill! Where's the fun in that?!?! This sucks.
    Crank up the AC and get to work on one of the many home projects I've put off because I ride so much.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Sunday -- ordinarily a day I like to sleep in and not get out on the bike until 9:00 or sometimes even 10:00AM -- I went out at 7:00AM. Managed to get a 30 mile ride in before the temps hit 90°F.

7AM? That is sleeping in.

I'm on my bike riding by 0530AM.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    7AM? That is sleeping in.

I'm on my bike riding by 0530AM.
    530am is the middle of the night

I envy those that can leap out of bed early and do stuff. Now that we are in our mid-fifties, my wife is starting to become an early bird but I just it hasn't happened to me yet, even though I go to bed earlier then I used to. So, I didn't make it out today until almost 9am when it was already hot and humid and then I just gutted it out

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    530am is the middle of the night

I envy those that can leap out of bed early and do stuff. Now that we are in our mid-fifties, my wife is starting to become an early bird but I just it hasn't happened to me yet, even though I go to bed earlier then I used to. So, I didn't make it out today until almost 9am when it was already hot and humid and then I just gutted it out
    I don't have a problem getting up early, but I need breakfast and coffee first thing. Then I need to wait for the obvious before I dare to go out on the bike.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2016
    I’m in western Washington (state). Summer highs are usually 70-85, very rare to get to 90. Humidity decreases the warmer it gets. Most homes don’t have a/c. Our natural a/c is the North Pacific Ocean. Our problem is rain from October to April. Usually not heavy, just enough to keep everything damp to wet.
    Last edited by Peloton808; 07-05-2018 at 07:13 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peloton808 View Post
    I’m in western Washington (state). Summer highs are usually 70-85, very rare to get to 90. Humidity decreases the warmer it gets. Most homes don’t have a/c. Our natural a/c is the North Pacific Ocean. Our problem is rain from October to April. Usually not heavy, just enough to keep everything damp to wet.
    I was out there in western WA and OR in July about a decade ago and realized then that the "dry season" there is relative. I was like being in the UK. Showers, two hours of sun, showers again, repeat. The cooler temps compared to the east coast were really nice.

But.......when I got down to northern CA, I found that temps increased by about 40 degrees as I went away from the coast!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I reckon nobody is from the Southeast Asia region? 5 AM it's high 80s F, 7 AM it's 90F, 9 AM it's 100F. Humidity is so bad it feels like you're breathing in a sauna. Metal equipment rust fast due to the constant humidity, year round. When it's not hot and humid, it's wet and humid (rain). And oh yeah, never buy Oakley glasses in Asia. They don't last, they will peel after a year or two. Rudy glasses will not though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    I reckon nobody is from the Southeast Asia region? 5 AM it's high 80s F, 7 AM it's 90F, 9 AM it's 100F. Humidity is so bad it feels like you're breathing in a sauna. Metal equipment rust fast due to the constant humidity, year round. When it's not hot and humid, it's wet and humid (rain). And oh yeah, never buy Oakley glasses in Asia. They don't last, they will peel after a year or two. Rudy glasses will not though.
    Compared to Southeast Asia, being here in New Jersey is sounding like Utopia

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I was out there in western WA and OR in July about a decade ago and realized then that the "dry season" there is relative. I was like being in the UK. Showers, two hours of sun, showers again, repeat. The cooler temps compared to the east coast were really nice.

But.......when I got down to northern CA, I found that temps increased by about 40 degrees as I went away from the coast!
    Summers out here are typically fantastic and the views are hard to beat. But the day summer actually starts is a roll of the dice. Usually June is still more of a spring with the rain/sun warm/cold mix. July and August are typically beautiful. Cool at night and in the morning with clear sunshine during the day.

There are a bunch of microclimates here as well because of the quick changes in altitude as you get into the mountains and the coastline being right there. Throw in the storms that come in off the gulf of Alaska and you can get a little bit of everything in a single day.

It could be sunny and warm at 5000' but an hour away it could be overcast and wet. And vice versa. By the end of the day you could see sunshine, rain and snow in the mountains.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilmingtech View Post
    Summers out here are typically fantastic and the views are hard to beat. But the day summer actually starts is a roll of the dice. Usually June is still more of a spring with the rain/sun warm/cold mix. July and August are typically beautiful. Cool at night and in the morning with clear sunshine during the day.

There are a bunch of microclimates here as well because of the quick changes in altitude as you get into the mountains and the coastline being right there. Throw in the storms that come in off the gulf of Alaska and you can get a little bit of everything in a single day.

It could be sunny and warm at 5000' but an hour away it could be overcast and wet. And vice versa. By the end of the day you could see sunshine, rain and snow in the mountains.
    I took a trip to the interior of Alaska around the end of May a few years back. Not unusual to have snow in the morning and be up in the 70s in the afternoon.

Overall quite nice that time of year and the daylight hours are surreal. Sunset is around 11pm and it never gets completely dark.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I saw 126 in my car after work. I think official temp was 115 yesterday, I ride MTB to about 95F and road ride to about 105F. I still ride year around. Just early or late. I live in Phx and have gotten 6 rides in the last 6 days. 180 miles (16k climbing) I am taking today off, but will be doing two rides on Saturday.
    Joe
    Road Bike - Specialized Venge | MTB - 2018 Specialized Epic - Vassago Verhauen Steel SS - 2013 Santa Cruz 5010

Road Warrior
    The monsoon season started and for me this brings an extra level of enjoyment to our summer weekly rides, it’s kind of like Russian Roulette with the evening thunderstorms. Monday we got wind hammered and drowned, Wednesday the sky opened as I was packing up and this Saturday is about 50/50. If you are not dodging the rain than it’s the wind. These storms lower the temperatures 10 to 15 degrees and the clouds are a nice break from the relentless pounding of the sun. Sure, frequently we get wet and sometimes blown-out but riding in the rain on a nice summer day can be extremely enjoyable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    And oh yeah, never buy Oakley glasses in Asia. They don't last, they will peel after a year or two.
    Likely you bought Foakley sunglasses.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Likely you bought Foakley sunglasses.
    Nope bought them here in the US. One was purchased on their website, and a couple more purchased thru their employee program. This peeling happens to HD (hi-def) Oakleys dating from 4-5 years ago to their latest Prizm ones. The fake Oakleys and the el cheapo generic sunglasses are not flaking off (probably because they have no tint layers). The issue is how Oakley infuse their coating/tint layers into their lenses. They simply don't last long under the hot, humid, and salty condition. Advid cyclists around here know this about Oakley

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Nope bought them here in the US. One was purchased on their website, and a couple more purchased thru their employee program.
    But you said,
    And oh yeah, never buy Oakley glasses in Asia.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    But you said,

he is probably referring to the fact that Asian market receives specific "asian face or asian fit" frames.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

a real member's member
    I was out there in western WA and OR in July about a decade ago and realized then that the "dry season" there is relative.
    ​​​​​​​that's the problem with small sample sets. they're like anecdotes. and you end up not knowing what you're talking about.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ​​​​​​​that's the problem with small sample sets. they're like anecdotes. and you end up not knowing what you're talking about.
    Well I was out there for 10 days and while it wasn't raining every day, it wasn't dry either.

Don't know what I'm talking about? Let's just say I simply stated my observations. I mentioned to some of the locals and they told me August is generally drier than July, but not rain-free in the summer like southern CA.

a real member's member
    Well I was out there for 10 days... Don't know what I'm talking about? Let's just say I simply stated my observations. I mentioned to some of the locals and they told me August is generally drier than July, but not rain-free.
    seattle averages less than an inch in july, our driest month. all this can easily be referenced. or you can go by a personal 10-day stretch.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    seattle averages less than an inch in july, our driest month. all this can easily be referenced. or you can go by a personal 10-day stretch.
    That doesn't mean they don't get rainy, spritzy days. A 10 minute shower doesn't accumulate much precip unless you're talking about a heavy downpour.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Normally this is when I chime in and brag, but, I think it was over 100 here on the coast. I almost didn't make it home.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mackgoo View Post
    Normally this is when I chime in and brag, but, I think it was over 100 here on the coast. I almost didn't make it home.
    I'd like to make a snarky remark about the heat on the west coast but I think I get it handed back to me this winter when we are loaded down with snow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast