Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

annual I hate summer heat thread

First big heat wave here in the northeast. Time to complain about it. I did something I have not done for a while; brought out the Camelbak

Master debator.
    It's not the heat, it's the humidity. And yes, it is effin' oppressive.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I would much rather have the heat than it be cold. Cold sux.
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    +1 heat over cold

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    ^ +2.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    You haven't lived until you've spent a summer in Mississippi. When I was stationed there, it was explained to me that summer is the reason why people move so slow down south. What we're experiencing now in the northeast isn't squat compared to down there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I certainly don't like it but I can't say the heat has ever totally ruined a ride unlike other weather events that have (I'm in the North East also). Planning routes with tree covered roads makes a big difference by the way. Those roads that bake in the sun all day can indeed be brutal.

I thought I might have lucked out because coincidentally I'm taking a vacation 6 hours North (by car) during this heat spell. According to the forecast it's supposed to be even hotter up there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    You haven't lived until you've spent a summer in Mississippi. When I was stationed there, it was explained to me that summer is the reason why people move so slow down south. What we're experiencing now in the northeast isn't squat compared to down there.
    I'm assuming Louisiana is about the same.

No argument from me. The worse heat/humidity I've ever experience was there. And I believe that was in April and not a huge deal by their standards. I'm sure it's gets even worse than what I experience, and that's downright scary because just going for a short walk sucked as it was.

RoadBikeReview Member
    will take 100F over 35F any day...

forecast is for 101F today.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Adorable Furry Hombre
    We'd been having High Summer heat/humidity/dewpoint for the entire calendar month before Tour de Nebraska...then a ridiculous cold-front came through the week of TdN, and made it a monsoon and we needed sleeping bags.....now it is back to High Summer.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    You ain't just whistlin' dixie! I remember my first experience in Mississippi gulf summer weather. I woke up one sultry summer day; it was already 85°......and FOGGY!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    visited my home in Tucson AZ in June once. might as well have been in Tuktoyaktuk in January, stuck inside in AC. 5 people died that day just out walking.

I cannot handle over 30C/90F. Luckily it goes to 50F here at night all summer, and I have not had to dig out my portable AC unit this year.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Just got back from my usual Sat morning 3 1/4 hour 100k ride.The temp at the finish was only 90 degrees and the the humidity was down to 70%. Another SE Texas summer day.

a real member's member
    glad to hear folks are strugglin'. it's been pretty nice here in the pac nw.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Feb 2005
    I am pretty psyched that it is only 58 degrees here today.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    I live in north Florida. I used to take mornings rides, but the temps are too hot even in the morning now. I switched over to riding at night, and probably will throughout the summer.

At least it gets down into the high 70’s at night. Humidity still sucks though.

I much prefer the colder weather. You can always put more clothes on. You can only take so much off in hot weather.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Kansas City has had base temperatures in the mid 90s for the past few weeks now. The heat index is approaching 110.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

Road Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    visited my home in Tucson AZ in June once. might as well have been in Tuktoyaktuk in January, stuck inside in AC. 5 people died that day just out walking.

I cannot handle over 30C/90F. Luckily it goes to 50F here at night all summer, and I have not had to dig out my portable AC unit this year.
    BC; I grew up in the large city of Buckeye but moved to Georgia, both hot as hell but Georgia has unbearable humidity.. Todays ride 95F and 90% with little or no wind this morning.. Makes us appreciate the cold days!! Would love to ride Mt Lemon,, is it worth the trip?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Here in Hawaii, the temps/humidity aren't bad most of the time (high in upper 80s) but it is the direct sunlight that gets me. It's common to start work around 7:00 or even earlier.

scott s.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Feb 2005
    There was a little frost on my breath during tonight's mt. Bike ride.
    But most of you don't want to be here in Feb!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Three words: Early morning rides!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    There was a little frost on my breath during tonight's mt. Bike ride.
    But most of you don't want to be here in Feb!
    So you don't hate summer "heat" in your area. That's cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2deep View Post
    BC; I grew up in the large city of Buckeye but moved to Georgia, both hot as hell but Georgia has unbearable humidity.. Todays ride 95F and 90% with little or no wind this morning.. Makes us appreciate the cold days!! Would love to ride Mt Lemon,, is it worth the trip?
    Mt Lemmon is the best ride in the area. But ya gotta like climbing. The valley roads can be a bit tedious. I really like the winter temps in Tucson, nice change of scenery from the wet winter jungle here. And the Mountain biking is very very good.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Saturday wasn't too bad, 90-ish, but the humidity wasn't that high. Felt kind of good, really, after all of the cool weather we've had.

Sunday was pretty hot, 95-ish and higher humidity, and practically no wind (except down by the Hudson river - that felt nice). After a 2.5 hr ride, I got inside to A/C, went upstairs, drank a couple of glasses of water, talked to my wife about my ride, after about 15 min. went back to the basement (with water) to change out of cycling clothes - my emergency Cliff bar, when I took it out of my jersey pocket, was still hot to the touch.

I've had a couple of rides in hot weather where my feet felt hotter than the rest of me, due to being nearer the pavement - you can feel the heat radiating from the road surface, especially when going slowly. It wasn't like that yesterday, probably because, up until now, it's been a cool spring/early summer.

I'm glad I don't live in the South, where rides like yesterday's are common. That 2.5 hrs took a lot more out of me than a normal ride of that duration. Cold can kill a ride more easily than heat (ice on the roads means a no-go for me), but at least with cold you can put on more clothes.

------------

your god hates me
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Three words: Early morning rides!
    Sunday -- ordinarily a day I like to sleep in and not get out on the bike until 9:00 or sometimes even 10:00AM -- I went out at 7:00AM. Managed to get a 30 mile ride in before the temps hit 90°F.

And then I'm home with the entire day to kill! Where's the fun in that?!?! This sucks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast