Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tig
    Clear Lake, TX
    Plan B
    (pepper gel, not spray)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    I ride by myself in the country 90% of the time,so running away is not an option. Just gives the driver the opportunity to take another run at you

This happened to me a few years ago, but without the punch being thrown. Just a lot of yelling by the driver. I kept quiet. Nothing I had to say would have mattered

Things I did right. I kept my eyes focused directly focused on him. Show no fear

I took a lesson from the hockey boys. Keep your helmet on. Hitting the helmet in full or part, does more damage to his fist than to you.

What I wish I would have done is to call 911, and left the line open. They can hear the altercation and track the location by the gps

Lastly remember there are no rules in a street fight. I would not make my first move with a fist. If he is close enough to throw a punch, then he is close enough to take a kick or knee. The knee area is a good place, and you all know the other area to aim for.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    carry an old school tire pump that spring mounts under the top tube and beat him senseless.

Russian Troll Farmer
    I know that we're weight-obsessed here, but maybe the old short length of pipe under the saddle, like that Italian rider in Breaking Away had would be a good idea?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    carry an old school tire pump that spring mounts under the top tube and beat him senseless.
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    but maybe the old short length of pipe under the saddle, like that Italian rider in Breaking Away had would be a good idea?
    I don't think location is critical in this situation as long as it's near your hand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Cyclist Attacked, this time in Asheville, NC-breaking-away-crash.jpg  

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    I know that we're weight-obsessed here, but maybe the old short length of pipe under the saddle, like that Italian rider in Breaking Away had would be a good idea?
    That was a frame pump.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    hmm wonder if so much time has gone by since full length frame pumps were common, that the younger folks would watch Breaking Away and not know what the Cinzano rider had in his hands?

I'm sure most of us having ridden bikes more than 25 years have swung a frame pump at more than a few dogs ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    I'm sure most of us having ridden bikes more than 25 years have swung a frame pump at more than a few dogs ;)
    One of these might be a better idea for dogs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    That was a frame pump.
    It's been a while since I've seen the movie. Those old Zefal's I don't think would survive well.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Plan B
    (pepper gel, not spray)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post

We are now moving towards needing one of these belts.
    Another Cyclist Attacked, this time in Asheville, NC-sku1032web1.jpg

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    It's been a while since I've seen the movie. Those old Zefal's I don't think would survive well.
    The pump didn't have to survive. It just needed to stop the front wheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The pump didn't have to survive. It just needed to stop the front wheel.
    If the guy's on a bike, and your aim is perfect at speed, that is.

Fixing a flat once, I backed up and stepped on my Silca frame fit pump and broke the thing right in the middle. It's very thin plastic along the barrel. Not gonna make a good weapon in hand to hand combat. You'll get your a$$ kicked.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 1 Week Ago at 03:57 PM.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    We are now moving towards needing one of these belts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sku1032web1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	320763
    Not very aero.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member

not a bad idea that. fortunately i no longer live where dogs are a problem.

as for power of a silca pump. They are mostly for threatening the dog, not harming it. If you want to harm the dog in self defense, you use a silca pump .. with the heavy metal campagnolo head on it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    not a bad idea that. fortunately i no longer live where dogs are a problem.

as for power of a silca pump. They are mostly for threatening the dog, not harming it. If you want to harm the dog in self defense, you use a silca pump .. with the heavy metal campagnolo head on it!
    I don't know how many dogs you have come in contact with, but from my experience, brandishing an object like that will only make the dog more aggressive. The fact is that bikes trigger the run/chase predator/prey instinct in dogs. A bike is fast enough to trigger this instinct, but often not fast enough to outrun a dog. You best bet in many cases is to slow or stop at which point, the dog will lose interest and retreat.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    A bike is fast enough to trigger this instinct, but often not fast enough to outrun a dog.
    That depends.
    Another Cyclist Attacked, this time in Asheville, NC-1-threequartersitting.jpg vs Name:  german-shepherd.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  49.6 KB

plus the rider's engine HP.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I don't know how many dogs you have come in contact with, but from my experience, brandishing an object like that will only make the dog more aggressive. The fact is that bikes trigger the run/chase predator/prey instinct in dogs. A bike is fast enough to trigger this instinct, but often not fast enough to outrun a dog. You best bet in many cases is to slow or stop at which point, the dog will lose interest and retreat.
    Squirt them in the face with your water bottle. It stops them dead in their tracks every time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    That depends.

Name:	1-threequartersitting.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	320768 vs Name:  german-shepherd.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  49.6 KB

plus the rider's engine HP.
    If you're pedaling up a hill, you're not outrunning either of these.

-- Warren Buffett

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Squirt them in the face with your water bottle. It stops them dead in their tracks every time.
    Actually, it only stops them dead in their tracks the first time. Years ago I was exploring a road I had never been down before and a big dog came running out after me. I sprayed him in the face with my water bottle and he stopped. A half mile later the road dead ended and as I came back by the dog's home he came out after me once more. This time the water in the face did not dissuade him - it was as if he was saying "I know that's only water! I'm going to get you!"

a real member's member

Name:	1-threequartersitting.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	320768
    nay! the horror that befallin' ya if an old english bulldogge come trottin' an' slobberin' out after ye! say yer prayers, ya cyclist, for there be no more tomorrahs fer ya!
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    If you're pedaling up a hill, you're not outrunning either of these.
    English Bulldog is said to be able to run up to 15 mph in optimum condition. The up hill condition would also apply to the dog. Now, if a rider can't outrun an English Bulldog, then perhaps there's something else he/she needs to work on... Name:  8zs.gif
Views: 77
Size:  275 Bytes

gazing from the shadows
    Actually, it only stops them dead in their tracks the first time.
    Depends on the dog, but yes. Especially after a few minutes, as opposed to a few days time. So... target the nose and they will stop, no matter what. Same goes for a bear, btw. Good luck if you ever need to try THAT.

I have had good results with yelling "Good DOG!" in a happy voice. It seems to confuse them a bit to give me a bit of time to pass by.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Depends on the dog, but yes. Especially after a few minutes, as opposed to a few days time. So... target the nose and they will stop, no matter what. Same goes for a bear.....
    I don't recommend this. Aim anything in front of a bear and it will continue to charge forward. If you can hit its arse with something, that's a better idea to distract it. But you're probably toast anyway unless you're with another rider who is slower than you.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    So... target the nose and they will stop, no matter what. Same goes for a bear, btw. Good luck if you ever need to try THAT.

I have had good results with yelling "Good DOG!" in a happy voice. It seems to confuse them a bit to give me a bit of time to pass by.
    This sort of response ...

Yeah, it will work Every Time ... except for that one time mentioned, and maybe a few other times.

Dogs kill an average of 18 Americans per year or some such figure (I just looked it up for another site and can't be bothered ... anyone who wants to can also do the research.)

The "one time it doesn't work" leaves you crippled or killed ... the other times don't much matter.

Same as saying "Bad Dog! Go Home!"

A lot of people swear by this and when people tell stories of dogs who attacked anyway, they say, "Oh it's the victim's fault. S/he showed fear" or whatever.

Fact is, those methods are a Lot less reliable than pepper gel or anything else which causes pain.

A dog's conditioning to attack running prey goes a lot deeper than it's training to obey a voice command, and a dog who truly wants to attack will come right through a bullet (If we are honest, and we read enough of these threads, we have probably read about people who used a pistol (not a BB gun) and shot a pit bull which didn't stop.)

I don't carry pepper spray ... but I haven't had dog problems since my teen years, when I used to walk semi-rural roads ... when I also carried very pretty, hand-polished walking stick ....

I would never encourage someone who has had issues with dogs, to use a semi-effective form of defense.

Sure, if you have nothing else, squirt the dog, or yell at it. Rear up and try to look big. But face it ... some dogs attack. And some dogs kill people. And you don't know if the dog in front of you is that dog.

So I am not about to give people crappy advice which I admit even as I give it won't always work.

As for facing down a bear----yeah. How many of us have done that? Show of hands ... or stumps?

Yeah ... Maybe a bear will flee if you hit it on the nose. Yeah. Maybe. Maybe if you yell "Go Home!" in a stern voice, that will work.

I have read that sometimes one can possibly survive by rearing up one one's hind legs, raising one's arms overhead, and roaring and shouting as loudly as possible ---try to seem like a potentially dangerous foe.

Good luck.

If a mother bear thinks you threaten its cubs .... or if a grizzly thinks you are poaching its territory and food supply ... or is just really hungry ....

Do everything. Scream, yell, rise up, tell it to go home ... do Anything because why not? You are about to be mauled by a bear. Take a shot ... play dead, if you think you can. Maybe the bear is a Jerry fan.

But when I see people saying "Yeah, just hit a bear in the nose, no problem ... and just tell the dog to go home ..."

I am reminded of a film I saw about a guy who tried to live with grizzlies. They ate him, and his girlfriend.

When the bear attacked the guy, his girlfriend started wailing on it with a frying pan. Good for her for trying ... but apparently the bear hadn't read that article online about how it should stop and run away, because it killed both of them.

If telling a dog "Go Home" has always worked for you, I am glad. But I think it might be wiser to consider yourself lucky than to think you have found the magic defense.

Nothing wrong with suggesting it ... but saying
    target the nose and they will stop, no matter what.
    right after admitting that it won't always work .... okay .....

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
    I am reminded of a film I saw about a guy who tried to live with grizzlies. They ate him, and his girlfriend.
    werner herzog's grizzly man. really good flick like most of his stuff. check out his incident at loch ness mockumentary -- hilarity.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast