Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Another Cyclist Attacked, this time in Asheville, NC

Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sickening.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dangerous, lunatic, redneck. . . Those descriptions come to mind. Hope the bastard gets sued.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Dangerous, lunatic, redneck. . . Those descriptions come to mind. Hope the bastard gets sued.
    If I'm biking and someone approaches me, I'm off my bike. I don't think anyone would take the effort to give me a high 5 or shake my hand.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Forever a Student
    Strange how the guy just stood there and took it.

Driver is an overweight old redneck.

I would have been all over that guy the second he stepped out of his truck. One thing you never do around me is step out of your vehicle. Instead cyclist dude just stood there and did nothing at all and took punches to the face. What a sissy.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Strange how the guy just stood there and took it.

Driver is an overweight old redneck.

I would have been all over that guy the second he stepped out of his truck. One thing you never do around me is step out of your vehicle. Instead cyclist dude just stood there and did nothing at all and took punches to the face. What a sissy.
    You are wrong about that. Remember that the first person to strike another person, loses when it comes to the rule of law.

If the motorist approached the cyclist and the cyclist struck him and tried to claim self defense, the motorist (and probably his lawyer) would have come up with a story about the motorist just asking the cyclist for directions or something equally lame.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    nonsense MMS.

No way the guy would have thought the truckidiot would be getting violent. 99.9% of the time it comes down to a verbal assault. And besides, if the cyclist had swung first, he'd be subject to assault charges instead. Possibly even murder if the punch results in death (check the phenomenon of 'one punch' attacks on people resulting in murder charges) Esp in this age of infinite dash cams, the smart thing is to turn the other cheek and let fools make fools of themselves.

This is one outcome that is a win for cyclists, as awful as it is.

Though my own hothead would probably respond to the guy's punch by swinging my bike into his head, hoping to connect with pedal or chainring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    You are wrong about that. Remember that the first person to strike another person, loses when it comes to the rule of law.

If the motorist approached the cyclist and the cyclist struck him and tried to claim self defense, the motorist (and probably his lawyer) would have come up with a story about the motorist just asking the cyclist for directions or something equally lame.
    As soon as the motorist steps out of his vehicle and approaches you, he is taking a threatening action. So you can strike first and claim self defense.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Strange how the guy just stood there and took it... I would have been all over that guy... Instead cyclist dude just stood there and did nothing at all and took punches to the face. What a sissy.
    you're being a little hard on him. and in court, i might rather favor his reaction if wanting to collect $5k or more.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    As soon as the motorist steps out of his vehicle and approaches you, he is taking a threatening action. So you can strike first and claim self defense.
    It's tricky to prove, but this ^^^ is probably the correct answer. The chances are pretty good that he would have been charged with something as well though. LE probably would have approached it as a fight caused by road rage and charged both with something if the cyclists took a swing first.

Assault and Battery Defenses - FindLaw
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:36 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    old man strength.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    The driver could have claimed he was getting out to make sure the cyclist was okay. As Rashabad says, tricky to prove ... particularly if it can be proven that the cyclist initiated the physical attack.

In any case ... it is another case of "I have the biggest penis." After a while, even those tough guys get old, and learn (hopefully) to be smart.

What do the tough guys do when Mr. Redneck gets back in his truck ... and leans out the window with his gun? Is your penis big enough to hide behind?

I can't say what I would have done. I have been in enough situations that worked out Way different than I would have thought ... but generally with mad dogs, biped or quadruped, I try to keep the bike between us.

Also, at my age .... the most likely outcome if I start a fight is I get my butt kicked, have a heart attack, have a stroke, go to the hospital until I am stable ... and then go to jail until trial.

Meanwhile my bike just disappears.

Don't you care about your bicycle?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I doubt that would stand up in court, but you should try it and let us know how it works out.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    good reason to ride with flat pedals.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
    In any case ... it is another case of "I have the biggest penis." After a while, even those tough guys get old, and learn (hopefully) to be smart.
    And that definitely won't stand up in court.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I doubt that would stand up in court, but you should try it and let us know how it works out.
    If its a situation like this one (it's a real possibility that someone is about to hurt you), justified fear or apprehension of harm ("assault") can justify self defense. Proving that you were indeed afraid, had no way to escape, that the other person was in fact threatening you, etc. is where things get real and you find out whether your lawyer is worth the money or not. The best thing is to try to avoid the whole scenario if you can, but protect yourself if it looks like someone is about to hurt you and there's no way to get away quickly. You are always rolling the dice with how police will report the incident and how prosecutors may charge, but do what you have to do to stay safe though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    If its a situation like this one (it's a real possibility that someone is about to hurt you), justified fear or apprehension of harm ("assault") can justify self defense. Proving that you were indeed afraid, had no way to escape, that the other person was in fact threatening you, etc. is where things get real and you find out whether your lawyer is worth the money or not. The best thing is to try to avoid the whole scenario if you can, but protect yourself if it looks like someone is about to hurt you and there's no way to get away quickly. You are always rolling the dice with how police will report the incident and how prosecutors may charge, but do what you have to do to stay safe though.

This may be true to some degree. If the motorist got out of his vehicle and charged at you or approached you while making threats of bodily harm, you may be correct. However, considering in this scenario that at the moment, you have wheels and the other person at the moment does not, not being able to escape might be hard to prove.

The bottom line is that I sure hope there would be witnesses willing to come forward and not witnesses that hate cyclists, or you might be screwed regardless.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Geeze, I don't know if I'd be willing to punch back at a 74 year-old.

As far as other assailants; while over 15 years of weight training has me confident that I'm tougher than I look it's also taught me that there's some go--amn nutzo beasts out there and you can't tell who they are until they start punching. I think that I would defend myself only after any of my avoidance strategies are exhausted. Like this Cracked article explains...

There's a whole breed of people who excel (insofar as such a word can be used) in street fights. They're called "criminals."

6 Painful Things Nobody Tells You About Fighting

Signed, Dir-T - who has happily not been anywhere near a fight since his high-school days.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Yet another reason why cyclists themselves should run cameras and not rely on the mere chance some motorist has a dash cam running.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    We've had tactics discussion recently. Self Defense

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post

As far as other assailants; while over 15 years of weight training has me confident that I'm tougher than I look it's also taught me that there's some go--amn nutzo beasts out there and you can't tell who they are until they start punching. I think that I would defend myself only after any of my avoidance strategies are exhausted. Like this Cracked article explains...

There's a whole breed of people who excel (insofar as such a word can be used) in street fights. They're called "criminals."

Signed, Dir-T - who has happily not been anywhere near a fight since his high-school days.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to dir-t again.

yep

though I recall my riding buddy and myself had a couple angry motorists pull over and get out of their car on a couple occasions. Their first thought was 'wimpy cyclists, I'll teach them with some violence.' But then as they approached us .. realized I am 6 4, buddy is 6 6 .. and motorists turned tail on each occasion before getting close enough for fisticuffs (and my buddy had been jailed once for beating the crap out of a guy before, spitting image of Dolf Lundgren on a bike). Haven't had to actually throw a punch since I was in grade 6, in the 70s.

RoadBikeReview Member

Very good article. Everybody here should read it.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member

Absolutely brilliant article and 100% dead on true. My oldest brother isn't a criminal, but he has that "instant on" fight instinct. He's like 5-7" and 145 pounds and I've seen him drop guys (much larger than him) on many occasions. Thing is, he's a antisocial nut-job, and welcomes any chance to fight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    nonsense MMS.

No way the guy would have thought the truckidiot would be getting violent. 99.9% of the time it comes down to a verbal assault. And besides, if the cyclist had swung first, he'd be subject to assault charges instead. Possibly even murder if the punch results in death (check the phenomenon of 'one punch' attacks on people resulting in murder charges) Esp in this age of infinite dash cams, the smart thing is to turn the other cheek and let fools make fools of themselves.

This is one outcome that is a win for cyclists, as awful as it is.

Though my own hothead would probably respond to the guy's punch by swinging my bike into his head, hoping to connect with pedal or chainring.
    Or on a disc-equipped bike you could just use the spinning disc of death!
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Riiiight. And how many cases do we see where some motorist kills a cyclist and either gets off completely, or gets a slap on the wrist?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast