Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    While I will always try to move to single file when cars come up behind us, moving as far right as possible is not the safest way to ride. Luckily, in most states the law says "as far right as practicable".......
    Exactly.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Stop right there. While it is perfectly legal for_a_cyclist to take the lane, it is still not permissible to ride two abreast in traffic.

Taking the lane refers to situations where it is unsafe to do otherwise like on streets with parked cars or where pavement is broken up.

Situations where we take stated laws unconditionally and not practically is where we generate hate from motorists that causes a repugnant act like this.

No...they hate us and view us as "entitled" "arrogant" prats worthy and deserving of being run over no matter what we do. I mean it and am not exaggerating.

Further it is rather irrelevant. Based on the double-yellow line alone, that accident happened in a no-passing zone. Right there that is illegal on the driver's part. Nevermind the hit-and-run, fleeing the scene of an accident, and so on that followed.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Further it is rather irrelevant. Based on the double-yellow line alone, that accident happened in a no-passing zone. Right there that is illegal on the driver's part.
    You know that is the case in TN?
    Because in my state, and many others it's perfectly legal, and specified in the vehicle code that it's allowable.

SAFE PASSING IS THE LAW
    1. Before passing, you must first decide whether you can maneuver around the bicyclist. Be sure to check for oncoming traffic. When passing, you must allow at least four (4) feet between your vehicle and a bicycle in order to pass safely. If necessary and if you can do it safely, you are permitted to cross the center double yellow line so you can maintain the four (4) feet of clearance between your vehicle and the bicycle.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    You know that is the case in TN?
    Because in my state, and many others it's perfectly legal, and specified in the vehicle code that it's allowable.
    Can you check for oncoming traffic around a blind curve. It is called "blind" for a reason, you know.

BTW-this is a National Park....Fed law supersedes state law I do believe.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    I ride a lot in central Tennessee. My thoughts

This is a Federal Park designed for cycling and slow traffic. The northern end (Nashville) has a lot of cycling traffic I have ridden this area many times without issue

I just read comments in the Tennessean Nashville paper and with the exception of one comment I thought they were fairly restrained

Nashville is a very friendly city. Many cycling lanes and green ways

I ride country roads east of the parkway, and have not had any issues. A few times cars have passed at the crest of a hill when they should not have, but more often the issue is drivers who stay so far behind that they can't pass before the next hill. I have developed the habit of ignoring a single vehicle, but if a second vehicle comes up, I get off the road at the first opportunity.

Earlier this year in this situation the 2nd vehicle, a PU stopped and rolled down his window. I was expecting a blast, but instead the comment was "thanks, that guy is really an a**h**e.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Cyclist hit on Natchez Trace Parkway, admin at University School of Nashville arrested | WKRN News 2

The perp lied to cops:

Quote Originally Posted by local news
    Neely was the Dean of Students at University School of Nashville and has been placed on a leave of absence after his arrest in connection with the incident.
    According to an arrest report, Neely said a man and woman were standing in the road and threw the bicycle at his car.

SO, now he's self inflicted a few more charges:

-fleeing the scene of an accident (old)
    -hit and run (old)
    -lying to an officer (see above quote)
    -obstruction (probably see above)

This guy is digging his own legal grave.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Marc, crossing a double yellow line is legal in Tennessee. Almost all county roads have this marking. However you must do so safely which means only when you can see oncoming traffic or the lack of. Takes care of blind corners and hills

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2016
    No...they hate us and view us as "entitled" "arrogant" prats worthy and deserving of being run over no matter what we do. I mean it and am not exaggerating.

Further it is rather irrelevant. Based on the double-yellow line alone, that accident happened in a no-passing zone. Right there that is illegal on the driver's part. Nevermind the hit-and-run, fleeing the scene of an accident, and so on that followed.
    They do hate us, you are right, even if you are 2 inches from riding in the grass, with a 10 foot wide shoulder, you can tell they hate cyclists just by the way they act when they go by you...revving engine, actually moving closer to you when they pass...

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Can you check for oncoming traffic around a blind curve. It is called "blind" for a reason, you know.
    You said "double-yellow line alone". But a double yellow line doesn't automatically make it illegal.

BTW-this is a National Park....Fed law supersedes state law I do believe.
    Can you cite a federal law that makes this illegal? I'm unaware of any.
    https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...vol1-chapI.xml

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/s...k-1361480.html
    Federal traffic infractions, such as speeding tickets issued by a national park ranger, are cited under state statute.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member

Further it is rather irrelevant.
    Granted there is no excuse for behavior like that. However, I think the attitude "They're going to hate us anyway" just gets us into more trouble and magnifies the hate.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    You said "double-yellow line alone". But a double yellow line doesn't automatically make it illegal.

Can you cite a federal law that makes this illegal? I'm unaware of any.
    https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...vol1-chapI.xml

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/s...k-1361480.html
    Federal traffic infractions, such as speeding tickets issued by a national park ranger, are cited under state statute.
    Fair point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    The guy's rear brake light never lit up, and his speed never let up, so this means he never intended to stop. This tells me that there is some element of intent here. If he was texting or reaching for something and accidently hit something, you would have exptect him to tap his brakes (brake lights) or let up in speed, those never happened.

My guess is that the ahole driver was wanting to just buzz the cyclist to "teach him a lesson" but instead hit him. Luckily for the cyclist, the speed differential between his bicycle and the car looked to be around 15 mph difference, thus the cyclist survived. If this was a "60 mph zone", forget it, cyclist would be dead.

Nevertheless, there is definitely element of intent in this case. This was not an accident out of thin air.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    The guy's rear brake light never lit up, and his speed never let up, so this means he never intended to stop. This tells me that there is some element of intent here. If he was texting or reaching for something and accidently hit something, you would have exptect him to tap his brakes (brake lights) or let up in speed, those never happened.

My guess is that the ahole driver was wanting to just buzz the cyclist to "teach him a lesson" but instead hit him. Luckily for the cyclist, the speed differential between his bicycle and the car looked to be around 15 mph difference, thus the cyclist survived. If this was a "60 mph zone", forget it, cyclist would be dead.

Nevertheless, there is definitely element of intent in this case. This was not an accident out of thin air.
    According to the perp, in his interview with the cops, it was the fault of those ruffian cyclists STANDING roadside who THREW their bikes at HIS car.

Blasted cyclists always throwing their bikes. What do they think this is, the TdF?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    As has been noted, this incident occurred on the Natchez Trace Parkway(NTP), which is a part of the National Park Service. It stretches from just SW of Nashville, Tennessee to Natchez, Mississippi. About 444 miles total. Commercial traffic is prohibited and the maximum speed limit is 50 mph. It is a National designated bike route. The northern terminus area where this occurred is quite hilly and curvy. Being close to Nashville (Brentwood) it sees very high bike traffic and also high vehicular traffic.

NTP regulations regarding bicycle operation specify riding single file and as far to the right as practical. They also recommend high visibility clothing and front/rear lights.

Organized group rides on the NTP require permitting. A condition of the permit is that riders must be single file in groups of 5 or less. There should be a distance of 500 feet between groups.

About 3 years ago a cyclist (happened to be a dentist) was killed in an accident on the NTP south of Tupelo, MS. His widow started a foundation, The Gary Holding Foundation, to advocate for cycling safety on the NTP. It has been through the foundations efforts that signs have recently been posted on the NTP that say "Notice. Bicycles may use full lane. Change lanes to pass."

I've spoken with Mrs. Holding and have contributed to the foundation via a fundraiser group ride. The signs are intended to raise driver awareness of cyclists and promote safe passing. The foundation has also supplied Park Rangers with high viz vests and bicycle lights. If a Ranger spots a cyclist that isn't wearing bright visible jersey or doesn't have lights, he can/will stop them and discuss cycling safety and give them a vest and or lights (a friend of mine has been a recipient).

The signs appear to be causing some confusion for some cyclists. The "single file, as close to the right as practical" regulations still apply but some cyclists seem to be emboldened to ride 2 or more abreast.

I ride the NTP regularly, but it's on the southern TN, AL, northern MS section which is not heavily populated. I've never had an issue, although I'm sure there are some cyclists that have. I HAVE heard horror stories about traffic conditions on the NTP at Tupelo, MS.

Our local cycling community is following this hit and run story closely. It does appear intentional. Thankfully it was videoed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    According to the perp, in his interview with the cops, it was the fault of those ruffian cyclists STANDING roadside who THREW their bikes at HIS car.

Blasted cyclists always throwing their bikes. What do they think this is, the TdF?
    This guy has a law degree. Doesn't he know he has the right to remain silent?

Banned forever.....or not
    If the rider is smart, he could work this up into a $20,000 payday.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    SO, now he's self inflicted a few more charges:

-fleeing the scene of an accident (old)
    -hit and run (old)
    -lying to an officer (see above quote)
    -obstruction (probably see above)

This guy is digging his own legal grave.
    And beyond.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    I thought higher.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    This guy has a law degree. Doesn't he know he has the right to remain silent?
    He evidently didn't know that GoPros are a thing....and that someone might have recorded the accident.

You'd also think someone with a law degree would know about what happens to people that lie to the cops and make false reports....granted the whole hit-and-run thing pretty much tells you what you need to know about his judgement...

Devoid of all flim-flam
    As Grumpy implies, sometimes you just have to hire a lawyer. Let 'em take their percentage. Thank them profusely
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Before or after expenses?
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gûl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    So, this guy has a law degree too?
    Well then, it even makes the case of "intent" even higher. Reason being that if you have a law degree, then you should have known better. Can't say you're ignorant of the situation BEFORE the collision and then also AFTER the collision. And the fact that he's a local to this area also means he should know this highway. Can't say you're tourist just traveling thru knowing nothing about the area. This guy should be prosecuted for a crime, and then sued in civil court for $$$.

hell let's assume even if the cyclist was at fault for riding 2 abrest (and I'm not saying he was), driver can't just hit him like that, especially the Volvo driver saw the white truck ahead of him, Volvo was following the whtie truck, white truck was able to negotiate the cyclists fine, so why did Volvo run into cyclist? It ain't no accident, probably intimidation attempt gone bad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The trouble with a civil lawsuit is it would likely be paid entirely by the insurer, correct? Or is there some other civil route to seek for which his insurance would not cover, perhaps? Otherwise it is purely the criminal case which will have the necessary impact on the perp's life to send a message to other nasty drivers whom threaten the health of the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    The trouble with a civil lawsuit is it would likely be paid entirely by the insurer, correct? Or is there some other civil route to seek for which his insurance would not cover, perhaps? Otherwise it is purely the criminal case which will have the necessary impact on the perp's life to send a message to other nasty drivers whom threaten the health of the rest of us.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that most auto policies specifically exclude coverage if the act was intentional rather than an accident/act of god. That is, you can't _deliberately_ go hit someone with your car and still expect your auto insurance to cover you.

Off the back
    Lot of motorist anger and hatred out there - and not just toward cyclists. On my 35-mile daily commute, I see car vs car at least a couple times per week. Some really terrible drivers out there, in addition to the angry nutjobs.

No excuse for clipping that cyclist there, but that section sure looks like one where those riders should hug the edge. I practice avoidance whenever possible, because those civil-suit or life insurance proceeds won't benefit me much from the grave.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast