Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    So, this guy has a law degree too?
    Well then, it even makes the case of "intent" even higher. Reason being that if you have a law degree, then you should have known better. Can't say you're ignorant of the situation BEFORE the collision and then also AFTER the collision. And the fact that he's a local to this area also means he should know this highway. Can't say you're tourist just traveling thru knowing nothing about the area. This guy should be prosecuted for a crime, and then sued in civil court for $$$.

hell let's assume even if the cyclist was at fault for riding 2 abrest (and I'm not saying he was), driver can't just hit him like that, especially the Volvo driver saw the white truck ahead of him, Volvo was following the whtie truck, white truck was able to negotiate the cyclists fine, so why did Volvo run into cyclist? It ain't no accident, probably intimidation attempt gone bad.
    His (former) employer put up a news blurb about their employee on their front page...

https://www.usn.org/page
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    I saw this first on social media, and I've had thoughts similar to those shared here.

The cyclist whether you like him/her or not is a fellow human being. Most likely he/she is a fellow driver, citizen, voter, tax payer, home owner, parent, grand parent etc. The level at which our society values the lives of fellow human beings is diminishing and scary.

Though it sounds as if the cyclist was operating legally, single file may have been a better choice. As someone has noted, I'll pull over and stop if traffic is stacking behind me.

One of our group rides starts in a reasonably busy area. We end up getting into a long string and holding up traffic on a two-lane road until we get out a little way. The idea of groups of five in single file would allow cars to get through the string. As this ride starts at 5:30 PM on a Monday, I'm guessing people in cars are wanting to get home from work.

I do hope the driver is held accountable in criminal as well as civil court.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I really hope that this increases awareness with drivers that they MAY be filmed by cyclists and that they cannot simply drive away from an incident like this without a trace. Obviously this guy had no intention of stopping and probably thought they would never be able to identify or catch him. I hope he gets punished to the full extent of the law. Massive a-hole.

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    The motorist was 100% at fault. Fine, jail time, civil suit are all needed to get this scumbag off the roads. Here are the signs being installed on the Parkway, lots of them.

Another cyclist deliberately hit today-installing-cyclist-may-use-full-lane-sign-_-ntpa.jpg

Alcoholic nose syndrome to go with the 'I'm a priviledged motorist syndrome'

Another cyclist deliberately hit today-marshall-grant-neely.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd View Post
    I practice avoidance whenever possible, because those civil-suit or life insurance proceeds won't benefit me much from the grave.
    This^

No point in winning a legal battle after you've lost under the laws of physics.

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    what I heard was that section of road had signage stating cyclists could take the whole lane. I don't have confirmation of that though.

In any case, it was the Natchez Trace Parkway, which is not exactly a high speed point-a-to-point-b thoroughfare.
    Here are the signs
    Another cyclist deliberately hit today-installing-cyclist-may-use-full-lane-sign-_-ntpa.jpg
    Here is the criminal (and probable repeat offender, with numerous police reports about 'black Volvo')
    Another cyclist deliberately hit today-marshall-grant-neely.jpg
    Last edited by SantaCruz; 07-10-2017 at 01:45 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bobf View Post
    This^

No point in winning a legal battle after you've lost under the laws of physics.
    Yes but often times, there needs to be law suits for laws/enforcement to happen, and for people's behavior to change. It took a while to finally convinced people that smoking is bad, and today society is much better, even though long the way many lives had been lost. Same thing with seat belt, helmet, etc. So while the dead ones may not have won any battle, duh they're dead, but consequences from their deaths do eventually get acted upon. Humanity is not all hopeless!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    Guy who did the hit and run is a douche and should be prosecuted to the full extent.

However, two cyclists riding abreast on a single lane, double yellow striped road aren't helping their cause, especially when there is a horn braying behind you.
    FWIW, the Natchez Trace generally has a speed limit of 45mph.

And, once again, what we have here is a meeting between a jerk (guy riding abreast on a higher-speed road in traffic), and an @$$hole (guy in the Volvo). Even when I may be correct, I avoid inflaming guys in traffic in their cars, mostly for this reason.

Hope he's OK, and Mr. Volvo gets charged with vehicular assault.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post

And, once again, what we have here is a meeting between a jerk (guy riding abreast on a higher-speed road in traffic), and an @$$hole (guy in the Volvo). Even when I may be correct, I avoid inflaming guys in traffic in their cars, mostly for this reason.

You don't know what your talking about.... that road is for recreational use, 45mph, commercial traffic is not allowed.... the guys riding were riding within the law... so STFU about it was their fault.
    BANNED

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post
    This guy deserves a serious beat down!
    https://youtu.be/az3hEs9fPRk
    These numerous signs on this reduced speed, scenic Federal Parkway make the motorist aware of their responsibility. Anything less is a violation. Period. That's the law.

Debate is just mental exercise outside a court room.Another cyclist deliberately hit today-installing-cyclist-may-use-full-lane-sign-_-ntpa.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post

How is the guy riding within the law a jerk? Do you think he saw the Volvo coming and decided to lane block him to inflame him? The driver was a dick and should be charged.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    How is the guy riding within the law a jerk? Do you think he saw the Volvo coming and decided to lane block him to inflame him? The driver was a dick and should be charged.

He's out on $12,000 bail....

According to the National Park Service, 58-year-old Marshall Grant Neely III was booked into the Williamson County Detention Center on Saturday night, where he is charged with reckless endangerment, leaving the scene of an accident, failure to immediately notify of an accident, and failure to render aid. Federal charges could be pending.

http://wkrn.com/2017/07/08/cyclist-hit-by-car-in-williamson-county/
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't know that he was "deliberately" hit. Suit would probably be successful based on hit-and-run aspect though.

Not to excuse the driver, but can't help but note the cyclist is well camouflaged in dark/black cycling clothes and helmet, and drifting back towards the center line.

Also saw it was his first time back on a bike in a while or something, and that he's not wearing gloves to protect his hands when he goes down.

All suggests to me a less experienced rider contributing to a situation that might not occur with a more experienced rider.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxKatt View Post
    I don't know that he was "deliberately" hit. Suit would probably be successful based on hit-and-run aspect though.

Not to excuse the driver, but can't help but note the cyclist is well camouflaged in dark/black cycling clothes and helmet, and drifting back towards the center line.

Also saw it was his first time back on a bike in a while or something, and that he's not wearing gloves to protect his hands when he goes down.

All suggests to me a less experienced rider contributing to a situation that might not occur with a more experienced rider.
    Dark colours and not wearing gloves is common among some of the MOST experienced cyclists out there. I am surprised to see those GCN guys (ex Euro pros) riding without gloves, always dark colours, usually two abreast. There is no obligation for cyclists to do otherwise. None whatsoever. And that is entirely irrelevant to the morality in this case. The cyclist was on the road legally, full stop. If they crash on their own, they pay the price. If someone else causes them to crash, the person causing the crash is 100% responsible for ALL injuries resulting.

The driver had an immense amt of time to assess the situation at slow speed, and no oncoming traffic to pay attention to either. Sure it might not have been intentional .. but ONLY if the driver was drunk, texting, not looking ahead .. ie driving in an illegal and incredibly dangerous manner.

Banned forever.....or not
    Chance are that the driver was trying to give the rider a "brush back" to show him who is boss, and miscalculated the clearance. The penalty for this should be death by fire.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Yes but often times, there needs to be law suits for laws/enforcement to happen, and for people's behavior to change. It took a while to finally convinced people that smoking is bad, and today society is much better, even though long the way many lives had been lost. Same thing with seat belt, helmet, etc. So while the dead ones may not have won any battle, duh they're dead, but consequences from their deaths do eventually get acted upon. Humanity is not all hopeless!
    I understand your point but where road rage or irrational behavior is involved there is really no deterrent. When someone is angry to the point of assault, they are not thinking of consequences.

Recently in nearby Philadelphia there was a road rage incident where 2 drivers were merging into a single line. There was a conflict and the one driver shot the other (teenage female) driver dead. They wasn't even a argument, no one even got out the their car... he just shot her. At that moment I doubt he was running through his mind the penalty for murder

RoadBikeReview Member
    I ride this area often, as do many other cyclists. I live about 5 mi from the trace entrance on 96. The trace is unique, and not your typical road. Most motorists are sightseers and a few are using the trace to get from point A to point B. Speed is limited, no commercial traffic, and I can't really think of a blind corner. It's a wide sweeping scenic road that cyclists enjoy daily- it's probably the safest road in Williamson Co. Occasionally one might encounter a butthead driver but it's rare. About the only traffic that speeds through are the sport bikes.
    At 45 mph you will see a cyclist no matter what they are wearing. Single file is encouraged but cyclists have full use of the lane. Cars can pass cyclists on double yellow sections if it is safe to do so. The road is patrolled by park rangers, though I have seen a sheriffs car out there.
    The only close encounter I have had on the trace was with a turkey, it almost flew into me on a downhill section.
    Word is that local cyclist plan to pack the courthouse. We (cyclists) need for laws to be enforced, new safety regulations for bike lane designs, and for motorists to finally pay attention and understand the laws and develop some kind of new empathy for cyclists who share the same crowded space.

I would not be surprised if alcohol played a factor in the crash, though it happened early and he was caught late so I doubt it can be proven.. He lives not far from the trace.
    Last edited by Old Man; 07-10-2017 at 04:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Forget a shovel. This guy needs a back hoe.

Natchez Trace Driver Responds To Video Of Cyclist Being Hit - NewsChannel 5 Nashville

"And you didn't see them at all?" NewsChannel 5 asked.

"No there are bikes all over the place, I didn't see him," Neely responded.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    I would not be surprised if alcohol played a factor in the crash, though it happened early and he was caught late so I doubt it can be proven..
    Alcohol does seem plausible for a couple reasons. First, his own son said on FB that he is an abusive alcoholic. Second, when I got hit the driver claimed he had no idea somebody collided with his minivan. Of course, he was pretty drunk at the time (.16 BAC). I smacked his vehicle at 28 mph, so there is no way a sober person would miss that.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    Forget a shovel. This guy needs a back hoe.

Natchez Trace Driver Responds To Video Of Cyclist Being Hit - NewsChannel 5 Nashville

"And you didn't see them at all?" NewsChannel 5 asked.

"No there are bikes all over the place, I didn't see him," Neely responded.
    His law class clearly didn't teach the 5th amendment

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    After he passed the bar he couldn't pass up a "bar" if ya know what I mean.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    So wait, and man and a women didn't throw a bike at his car? I hope he doesn't, but this guy really should shut up and hire a lawyer

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    Alcohol does seem plausible for a couple reasons. First, his own son said on FB that he is an abusive alcoholic. Second, when I got hit the driver claimed he had no idea somebody collided with his minivan. Of course, he was pretty drunk at the time (.16 BAC). I smacked his vehicle at 28 mph, so there is no way a sober person would miss that.
    Yes,, what I meant was proving it in court. The accident was in the morning and I think he was arrested around 10pm. Even if BAC was above the legal limit he could just say he was drinking at home. It might be best if the public can't blame it on alcohol because he is now like all other drivers and not part of an un-talked about and looked down upon group of law breakers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    Yes,, what I meant was proving it in court. The accident was in the morning and I think he was arrested around 10pm. Even if BAC was above the legal limit he could just say he was drinking at home. It might be best if the public can't blame it on alcohol because he is now like all other drivers and not part of an un-talked about and looked down upon group of law breakers.
    Agreed,
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd View Post
    Lot of motorist anger and hatred out there - and not just toward cyclists. On my 35-mile daily commute, I see car vs car at least a couple times per week. Some really terrible drivers out there, in addition to the angry nutjobs.

No excuse for clipping that cyclist there, but that section sure looks like one where those riders should hug the edge. I practice avoidance whenever possible, because those civil-suit or life insurance proceeds won't benefit me much from the grave.
    Nowhere on that road - or any road - should cyclists "hug the edge". You are just begging for someone to try to pass you within the lane because of oncoming traffic - and thus hit you. While I believe that rider was too far out in a situation when cars were coming, his position was not the reason for the vehicular assault. An ******* driver was the reason.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast