Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Pathlete and Pedalphile

Another cyclist deliberately hit today

This guy deserves a serious beat down!
    https://youtu.be/az3hEs9fPRk
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

RoadBikeReview Member
    2012 Motobecane Le Champion Team Titanium
    2002 Jamis Eclipse
    2000 Specialized Allez Elite

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    "A dean of a university..." Hit and run. I thought such position requires certain level of intelligence...

Adorable Furry Hombre
    There's a thread about it on Reddit, where Fine Human Beings cheer on the freedom loving motorist and decry the "*******s in lycra" with no respect for the law.

Like I said. Fine Human Beings.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Never anger the denizens of the internet. When the guy who originally filmed this uploaded it to his FB page, all the worldwide web detectives were on it like white on rice. Within an hour they had the driver's personal details, and they were doxxing the hell out of him.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gûl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post
    This guy deserves a serious beat down!
    https://youtu.be/az3hEs9fPRk
    That is so sickening.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    That is so sickening.
    Naw...that is expected on the roads.

What is sickening is seeing people online applauding the perp and wanting to do it themselves.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jesus, he could have easily killed that kid. Do not venture into the comments section unless you want to ruin your day. I really struggle to understand the people with which we share this world. Very sad and disturbing.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    "A dean of a university..." Hit and run. I thought such position requires certain level of intelligence...
    To be fair, he is the Dean of Students at University School of Nashville, a K-12 private school associated with Vanderbilt University.

Is this the kind of discipline he demands of his students?
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I am running cameras front and rear now after I've had three incidents with road rage drivers in the past 6 months, one even hit me with his car TWICE!
    Another guy tried to hit me because I was stopped at a red light for all of 20 seconds and he couldn't make a right on red, so he came after me. I only had a front camera going which got his plates but didn't show the intent and the cops wouldn't do anything about it

There needs to be some sort of mass media initiative to inform drivers that bicycles have cameras now and they won't get away with crap like this.

Speaking of doxing, are the online license plate ID sites legit or scams? And what are the legalities of it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Guy who did the hit and run is a douche and should be prosecuted to the full extent.

However, two cyclists riding abreast on a single lane, double yellow striped road aren't helping their cause, especially when there is a horn braying behind you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't understand why the friend automatically thinks the driver's action were intentional. I mean, he could have been texting...or talking on a phone...or taking a sip of his beer.

One of the scariest things to me is the comments against the cyclist where the writers appear to forget that the person hit is a human being. I guess when you call the cyclist a "creep" or a "jerk" or an "a-hole," you don't need to worry that you're actually harming (or killing) another living person.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2016
    The guy should be prosecuted for sure, but I just don't understand how you feel it is fine to slow vehicles down from 60 mph to 15 mph, because you and your buddy want to ride side by side on a busy road, I'm an avid cyclist and when I see this while in my car, I just can't understand it with all the distracted drivers these days you're putting your life in their hands.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by taxidermy man View Post
    The guy should be prosecuted for sure, but I just don't understand how you feel it is fine to slow vehicles down from 60 mph to 15 mph, because you and your buddy want to ride side by side on a busy road, I'm an avid cyclist and when I see this while in my car, I just can't understand it with all the distracted drivers these days you're putting your life in their hands.
    what I heard was that section of road had signage stating cyclists could take the whole lane. I don't have confirmation of that though.

In any case, it was the Natchez Trace Parkway, which is not exactly a high speed point-a-to-point-b thoroughfare.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    what I heard was that section of road had signage stating cyclists could take the whole lane. I don't have confirmation of that though.

In any case, it was the Natchez Trace Parkway, which is not exactly a high speed point-a-to-point-b thoroughfare.
    Anyone have any knowledge of the law regarding this particular piece of roadway? The article says Tennessee law allows it, but Federal law doesn't...I guess there are signs that advise that cyclists may take the entire lane.

Is TN law applied? Is Federal law correct and the signs wrong? Just wondering.

However, we have areas here where cyclists may take the lane or ride two abreast, but I generally ride as far right as possible and single file...even when permitted otherwise. The exception is around blind corners...I'll take the whole lane and drivers will just have to wait...I do it b/c I expect that when a driver attempts to pass me and is about to hit head on with a car, they'll swerve right and take me out rather than hit another car.

RoadBikeReview Member

I think you are right. It's a scenic parkway with a lot of bicycle traffic, slower scenic driving, etc. It's not a high speed point to point, as you say.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Anyone have any knowledge of the law regarding this particular piece of roadway? The article says Tennessee law allows it, but Federal law doesn't...I guess there are signs that advise that cyclists may take the entire lane.

However, we have areas here where cyclists may take the lane or ride two abreast, but I generally ride as far right as possible and single file...even when permitted otherwise. The exception is around blind corners...I'll take the whole lane and drivers will just have to wait...I do it b/c I expect that when a driver attempts to pass me and is about to hit head on with a car, they'll swerve right and take me out rather than hit another car.
    https://www.nps.gov/natr/learn/manag...s-bicycles.htm
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    So...it seems, good idea or not, the cyclist was riding lawfully.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Horrible on top of horrible. Glad they caught him as well. The dude is clearly a sicko. Cyclists really need to stop operating from the assumption that everyone is sane and going to play by the rulebook. A number of people out there are loco, unable to manage their emotions, and/or driving while distracted and/or intoxicated. We need to do everything we can to protect ourselves out there as a result. I understand the arguments for asserting your rights, but I also just want to make it home safely and those two things have to be balanced out. Making it home is clearly a bigger priority and not every right asserted truly makes us safer. Sorry, it just doesn't (there's a time and place for everything).
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    It was not as if there was traffic coning which prevented the car from giving plenty of space.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I don't understand why the friend automatically thinks the driver's action were intentional. I mean, he could have been texting...or talking on a phone...or taking a sip of his beer.

Obviously he was paying enough attention to move into the middle of the road, otherwise he would have hit both of them. It was also reported that he had been harassing other cyclists beforehand

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    A friend of mine was hit by a driver in April, he was a fanatical rider and racer, it shattered his elbow and the driver never stopped. He's had surgery and now has limited range of motion. He can't ride and is honestly too freaked out to try, I wouldn't be surprised if he gives it up.

I had an employee who rode his bike everywhere by choice, he didn't have a car. A driver followed him onto a quiet, residential side street and intentionally ran him down, breaking his ankle and destroying his bike. And, then came back 10 minutes later pretending to be a concerned citizen. At that point, police/fire and emts were there and neighbors who saw it happen, and they detained the guy.

Neither of them were doing anything but riding on the shoulder of a public street. There are serious wackos out there.

Cameras are great, I'm saving up for some.

I'd also recommend using this site, it at least makes you feel like you're doing something.

https://closecalldatabase.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Prosecuting is good for sure but more cyclists also need to go after the drivers in Civil Suits which require a lower threshold of proof to win than criminal cases. All you need is a plate and a PI to find out who the driver is, and start the law suit for a number that they choose. The settlements can be quite large and the defendant needs to pay for the attorney and court costs which can be more hurtful than the suspended sentence they will likely get in a criminal course anyway.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013

While I will always try to move to single file when cars come up behind us, moving as far right as possible is not the safest way to ride. Luckily, in most states the law says "as far right as practicable" - which is another kettle of fish entirely. Moving all the way to the edge of the road encourages drivers to try to pass without enough room in the face of oncoming traffic. Staying a little further out in the lane and communicating with them via hand signals is usually safer.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Stop right there. While it is perfectly legal for_a_cyclist to take the lane, it is still not permissible to ride two abreast in traffic.

Taking the lane refers to situations where it is unsafe to do otherwise like on streets with parked cars or where pavement is broken up.

Situations where we take stated laws unconditionally and not practically is where we generate hate from motorists that causes a repugnant act like this.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast