Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,778

    Another got hit today.

    Chris Froome: Team Sky rider 'rammed on purpose' by car in France.

    Another got hit today.-_95980077_froome_tweet.jpg

    Chris Froome: Team Sky rider 'rammed on purpose' by car in France - BBC Sport

  2. #2
    Cycling Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,062
    Let me guess... the driver is not a fan of Team Sky?
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

  3. #3
    Not a climber
    Reputation: dcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,221
    Totally insane how drivers treat cyclists as less than human. Could you imagine being in line at a store and the person in front of you is counting out their cash too slow, and you just shoot them in the stomach and walk away. Maybe they will die, maybe they won't, but that's what they get for holding up your day. Basically the same thing.

    The driver that hit me also drove off as if nothing happened. It's a pretty helpless feeling when you know they won't suffer any consequences for causing you physical harm.

  4. #4
    Pooped a refrigerator.
    Reputation: SauronHimself's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6,594
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
    Totally insane how drivers treat cyclists as less than human. Could you imagine being in line at a store and the person in front of you is counting out their cash too slow, and you just shoot them in the stomach and walk away. Maybe they will die, maybe they won't, but that's what they get for holding up your day. Basically the same thing.

    The driver that hit me also drove off as if nothing happened. It's a pretty helpless feeling when you know they won't suffer any consequences for causing you physical harm.
    The laws are finally starting to change in our favor, albeit at an excruciatingly slow pace. The other side of the coin is getting these laws enforced (i.e. minimum passing distance). This is a big reason why I beat the dead horse of recommending cameras. When you have video evidence the cops are much more likely to investigate and prosecute.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

  5. #5
    Avid smart-ass
    Reputation: Pete in MD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    39
    Even with the laws changing, it will unfortunately take more than a few reckless drivers being made an example of and paying a high price in some manner, before drivers will wake up and drive responsibly.
    2015 Specialized Diverge Expert Carbon
    2015 Scott Solace 30

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,866
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Let me guess... the driver is not a fan of Team Sky?
    real possibility

  7. #7
    Proud luddite
    Reputation: azpeterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,494
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    real possibility
    The article doesn't mention that the car's license plate was ALBRTO4EVR and the driver did the finger-bang after he struck Froome.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,778
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Let me guess... the driver is not a fan of Team Sky?
    So called "saboteur"? Possible.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,778
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    The article doesn't mention that the car's license plate was...
    The authority is reviewing the CCTV cameras footage around the site of incident.

    This just in.

    Another got hit today.-imagen-14489695-2.jpg

  10. #10
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    23,747
    The comments in the news articles are pretty sad....I guess that it proves that Americans aren't much different than Afghan Tribesmen....
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

  11. #11
    Not a climber
    Reputation: dcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,221
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    minimum passing distance
    An acquaintance on FB posted a picture he took of a "give cyclists 4 feet of space" sign, saying he didn't even know that was an actual law (North Carolina). Then a bunch of his friends commented and started the normal ***** fest about cyclists being *******s that hold up traffic and ride in the middle of the road and don't follow laws and should register their bikes and pay road taxes, etc. And no amount of casual conversation from an actual cyclist was going to change their mind. I got called a bunch of names and at least one dude generally threatened harm on the next cyclist he saw holding up traffic.

    It's truly crazy the disconnect between general motorists and cyclists. And there is nothing we can do except either stop riding or continue to be in danger of *******s in cars.

  12. #12
    Pooped a refrigerator.
    Reputation: SauronHimself's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6,594
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
    and at least one dude generally threatened harm on the next cyclist he saw holding up traffic.
    That isn't a good threat to make when NC allows open carry. That guy might end up being the unlucky sap who f**ks with a cyclist sporting a .45 ACP.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,696
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    The laws are finally starting to change in our favor, albeit at an excruciatingly slow pace. The other side of the coin is getting these laws enforced (i.e. minimum passing distance). This is a big reason why I beat the dead horse of recommending cameras. When you have video evidence the cops are much more likely to investigate and prosecute.
    Not sure safe passing laws would be relevant when a driver deliberately with malice swerves in order to hit you.

    And where would you mount the camera? I guess if you have it pointing back behind you, it would catch the plate number before he hits you (unless it's a state like PA that has no front plates). If pointed forward, well, that camera might hit the ground and be destroyed before it can capture a rear plate pic.

    Not sure what the solution is other than to have much stiffer penalties for hit-and-run incidents. In some states, DWI carries stiffer penalties than hit-and-run. This encourages a drunk driver to flee the scene, so even if and when caught, he will probably pass a BAC test.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  14. #14
    Pooped a refrigerator.
    Reputation: SauronHimself's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Not sure safe passing laws would be relevant when a driver deliberately with malice swerves in order to hit you.
    The point of a minimum passing distance law is not to prevent close passing. It's to establish prima facie that the motorist was engaging in unsafe behavior, and it also levies another penalty in addition to whatever else they were doing. These laws don't prevent unsafe passing any more than speeding laws prevent speeding or murder laws prevent murder. They serve as a means of equitably punishing dangerous acts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    And where would you mount the camera? I guess if you have it pointing back behind you, it would catch the plate number before he hits you (unless it's a state like PA that has no front plates). If pointed forward, well, that camera might hit the ground and be destroyed before it can capture a rear plate pic.
    The best setup is to buy two cameras and have one rear with one front/helmet. If you can't afford two, go with a helmet mount so you have a chance of at least facing the driver. In many situations the police won't do anything unless you can establish who operated the vehicle. A license plate alone is not enough to prosecute.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Not sure what the solution is other than to have much stiffer penalties for hit-and-run incidents. In some states, DWI carries stiffer penalties than hit-and-run. This encourages a drunk driver to flee the scene, so even if and when caught, he will probably pass a BAC test.
    But it comes down to proving the act happened. Hence why cameras will help you. We can have life imprisonment for the smallest transgressions, but unless you can produce evidence of what and who, the punishments don't do any good.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,696
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    The point of a minimum passing distance law is not to prevent close passing. It's to establish prima facie that the motorist was engaging in unsafe behavior, and it also levies another penalty in addition to whatever else they were doing. These laws don't prevent unsafe passing any more than speeding laws prevent speeding or murder laws prevent murder. They serve as a means of equitably punishing dangerous acts.
    Understood.

    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    The best setup is to buy two cameras and have one rear with one front/helmet. If you can't afford two, go with a helmet mount so you have a chance of at least facing the driver. In many situations the police won't do anything unless you can establish who operated the vehicle. A license plate alone is not enough to prosecute.
    If a plate number isn't enough to prosecute, we're all pretty much SOL. Face the driver? Unless he stops and gets out of the car, you're not getting a face. If a plate number can't prosecute, I doubt a make, model and color of car will either. My point is that if I get hit, I'm on the ground, the car is quickly moving away and the camera is pointing heaven knows where. Even if the camera is pointing backwards and you get an image before you get hit, you're still only getting a plate, make, model and color at best. I don't know of any cameras that can get a clear image of a face through a windshield.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,778
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    A license plate alone is not enough to prosecute.
    There are ways to find out who drove the car.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    237

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    337
    The driver was overheard making a pro-disc comment before driving off.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-16-2015, 03:46 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-17-2010, 11:01 AM
  3. My cat is 17 today
    By deadlegs2 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 12-26-2009, 11:38 AM
  4. Today, I ran over a dog.
    By brujenn in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-23-2008, 01:27 PM
  5. I met Von today!
    By bas in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 08-16-2007, 07:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •