Thread: Another Newbe

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018

Another Newbe

I'm new to the forum, and have just taken up cycling after a number of years off, and after a partial blockage of a coronary artery had my doctor suggest more exercise. TAs I am not over-weight and have low blood pressure and have always been active, to find
    I had this problem was very frustrating. I dug out my old Fuji Allegro to see how I would fare. I am 6'6" and wanted to ride a bit before I replaced this very large bike. I'm 71 and am now riding about 90 miles a week and increasing my mileage almost daily, and am currently riding at 18 to 20 mph.

I've been lurking for a few days, and am learning new things since I joined.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fujiman86 View Post
    I'm new to the forum, and have just taken up cycling after a number of years off, and after a partial blockage of a coronary artery had my doctor suggest more exercise. TAs I am not over-weight and have low blood pressure and have always been active, to find
    I had this problem was very frustrating. I dug out my old Fuji Allegro to see how I would fare. I am 6'6" and wanted to ride a bit before I replaced this very large bike. I'm 71 and am now riding about 90 miles a week and increasing my mileage almost daily, and am currently riding at 18 to 20 mph.

I've been lurking for a few days, and am learning new things since I joined.
    Welcome to the forum

I've been riding only 29 years and am very happy when I get over 100 miles in a week.

I'd be cautious of over doing it though. Pay attention to your body, it's very easy to get an over-use injury, knees's wrists, elbows, etc.... at our age (I'm 62) stuff heals very slowly and then you get frustrated.

a real member's member
    bravo, op.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi Fujiman and welcome to RBR!

Whether you decide to keep your old bike or buy new, be sure to get a detailed fitting from a reputable bike shop. Even if you got a fitting years ago, I would still have someone check your fit. A good shop will put you and your bike on their trainer, watch you pedal and make adjustments to dial in your fit just right.

Fit is of utmost importance so we don't wreck our joints.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    Thank you for your advice.