RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

Anti-lock Brakes on Bikes

Just heard Pinarello will be adding anti-lock brakes to there bikes in a few months. IMHO at what point does a bike not become a bike. Anti-lock brakes in Pro Peleton is stupid. I thought the purpose and allure of professional cycling and winning is it determines who is the best bike handler, strategist, strongest, etc who wins. This would kind of take the rider out of the equation. Kinda like what they did in F1 with there gear boxes going from manual to automatic. (semi). Personally at which point is the bicycle going to become a dumb downed motorcycle. Seems to me this innovation is more for financial gain than anything else. What do you say?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I already have them.
    I don't know what device they will use to accomplish anti-lock brakes but mine use fingers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Don't worry, the 50+ year olds riding Ti bike with disk brakes will buy them. lol

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree it's a pretty silly idea; as Jay says, skilled riders modulate their brakes to the same effect quite well, without mechanical intervention. But you greatly exaggerate the effect it would have on racing, IMO. Slightly reducing the skill needed to brake safely isn't going to make a rider much faster, if at all. Most of the speed is still about how hard you pedal.

And I think you also mis-state the effect of the dual-clutch servo gearboxes on F1. The driver still decides when to shift, even if he's not operating the clutch with his left foot. It still takes enormous skill and attention, and better drivers still go faster.

Edit: Here are a couple of stories about it:
    Pinarello and BluBrake develop weird vibrating ABS - BikeRadar USA
    Brake-buzzing tech may keep cyclists from hitting the skids
    As they explain, it's not a true anti-lock braking system such as motor vehicles have. It senses various parameters and the computer determines when lockup is imminent, but it doesn't actually take control of the braking -- it just vibrates the lever to warn the rider, who then can ease off on the lever pressure. It might be useful for people with way more money than skill. Maybe. Sometimes. But I kind of doubt it.
    Last edited by JCavilia; 04-07-2017 at 07:25 AM.
    We are far from pefect,
    But perfect as we are
    We are bruised, we are broken,
    But we are goddamn works of art
    Works of art

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Any thing in my eyes that lessons the rider, drivers input into reacting with the machine is not good. Highly skilled drivers/cyclists who are top of their profession do not need this. One thing comes to mind Peter Sagan in the Tour descending a mountain ridiculously fast where everybody was amazed and nobody could keep up, can not remember what year Tour it was a few years back I believe. But if other riders had anti-lock brakes well the superior rider might not have been known. His edge negated by technological advance. But I see your point still takes a highly skilled person pedaling the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Why is this technology any less beneficial for a bicycle than ABS on a car or motorcycle? Maybe not on a race bike or recreational toy, but I'd go for it on a commuter. Wet steel, leaves, and pavement markers are lots of fun.
    It's Mueller Time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Where did you get this tidbit of information? I ask because it is unusual for a frame manufacturer to invent brake technology and to my knowledge, none of the current component companies have antilock brakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by gofast2wheeler View Post
    Just heard Pinarello will be adding anti-lock brakes to there bikes in a few months. IMHO at what point does a bike not become a bike. Anti-lock brakes in Pro Peleton is stupid. I thought the purpose and allure of professional cycling and winning is it determines who is the best bike handler, strategist, strongest, etc who wins. This would kind of take the rider out of the equation. Kinda like what they did in F1 with there gear boxes going from manual to automatic. (semi). Personally at which point is the bicycle going to become a dumb downed motorcycle. Seems to me this innovation is more for financial gain than anything else. What do you say?

RoadBikeReview Member
    If I wanted anti-lock brakes I'd just buy a motorcycle.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    Where did you get this tidbit of information? I ask because it is unusual for a frame manufacturer to invent brake technology and to my knowledge, none of the current component companies have antilock brakes.
    It might have been in the news on the 1st of this month.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I did a little research and found that these are being promoted by a company called Blu Brake. http://road.cc/content/tech-news/213...anti-lock-brak They do not perform like ABS brakes on an auto but instead send a vibration to the riders hand to tell him to let up a bit on the lever--apparently only on the front wheel.

The only thing that makes me curious is the uniqueness of a major manufacturer showing any interest in what seems on the surface to be a pretty absurd idea.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I put two links in my earlier post. Pinarello didn't develop it; it comes from a company called BluBrake, originating with a research project at an Italian university. Pinarello has recently said they might put it on some models soon, so they're investing some money in the development.
    We are far from pefect,
    But perfect as we are
    Works of art

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Old news
    Italian company Blubrake develops electronic anti-lock braking system for bicycles | road.cc

Italian company partners with Pinarello to develop system helping user to avoid front wheel lockups.

The product has caught the eye of Pinarello. The company is now involved with the development, helping Blubrake to iron out the last few wrinkles. Donít worry, you donít need a Pinarello to use this system, it can be fitted to any bicycle.

ďOur goal is to provide the best performing technologies to our runners and help them to be better performing and safe. The strategic partnership with Blubrake is in line with our goal and demonstrates our ability to innovate,Ē explains Fausto Pinarello.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    My thought is once hydraulic disc brakes come into peleton then a true car like ABS will be developed. Matter of time if money is to be made. We as consumers can discourage such advances as not purchasing them if they ever come available. Thought it would be a good topic to think about since bike technology is moving really fast, hence Pinarello automatic hydraulic suspension being used at this weeks Roubaix. What attracted me to the bicycle is its efficiency and simplicity which I feel is slowly being lost IMHO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What attracted me to the bicycle is its efficiency and simplicity which I feel is slowly being lost IMHO.
    You have a choice. Ride fixed gear. ;-) Can't get much simpler than that (unless you get a penny-farthing).
    We are far from pefect,
    But perfect as we are
    Works of art

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    You have a choice. Ride fixed gear. ;-) Can't get much simpler than that (unless you get a penny-farthing).
    A little simpler.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    That's Great!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I don't even need ABS on my car...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    You'd better be leaving 2 carlenghts extra between you and the car in front, cause if it has ABS and slams on it's brakes, you'll be hitting it!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    Yeah, no one needs ABS... until they do

So. Calif.
    while they're at it, they could install motorized gyros so the bike doesn't tip over -- like a Segway scooter.
    Then obese people can go on tourist group rides rides without fear of falling, and maybe for good measure dressed like "Bibendum" the Michelin Man and wearing full face motorcycle helmets.