Blacklisted

Any import experts here? Canyon frame Germany -> US

I'm trying to purchase a Canyon frameset from Germany and ship to the US. There was a time that they used to ship here but they no longer do so. I've contacted Canyon and they will accept a US CC, so now it seems it's just a matter of finding a parcel forwarder/importer to receive the frame in the EU and then forward it to me here in Minnesota. Easier said than done.

I keep running up on a company called AddressGermany.com, but their reviews are dodgy at best. Their communication isn't too hot either, as they have twice failed to answer a direct question. So, I'm still looking.

Anyone here have any advice or experience?

Thanks!
    Chris
    Last edited by cendres; 04-04-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: clarification

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Just the frame? UPS or Fedex should do fine, if a little pricey.

Blacklisted
    I thought so, too. The sticking point is customs paperwork. Neither FedEx or UPS will do this for me. For all they know, the frame is full of contraband and they view it as a liability.

Just the frame, fork, headset, stem and seatpost.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cendres View Post
    Their communication isn't too hot either, as they have twice failed to answer a direct question.
    Did you email your question? It's a gross generalization, but Europeans don't generally react well to emails, as in "delete" if they don't know the sender. With overseas phone rates being really cheap compared to just a few years ago, phone the outfit. Force them to speak English, it's compulsory in German schools.

Also, check out DHL. Last time I looked, they were a subsidiary of the German Federal Postal System.

Dave Hickey here on RBR is the international shipping expert.

Blacklisted
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    Did you email your question? It's a gross generalization, but Europeans don't generally react well to emails, as in "delete" if they don't know the sender. With overseas phone rates being really cheap compared to just a few years ago, phone the outfit. Force them to speak English, it's compulsory in German schools.
    I did email them. Thank you for the tip.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    See edit above on "Dave Hickey." He's in the Fixed Gear forum, mostly. Very helpful and knowledgeable fellow.

Blacklisted
    Thanks, wim. I PMed Dave.

Anyone else with input?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I heard last fall that Competitive Cyclist was going to be the US distributor for Canyon.

A few years back I was in Italy and UPS'ed myself back 8 bottles of wine. Instead of listing the contents as wine, the UPS store told me list the contents as pottery to beat import duties. That might give you some ideas.

banned
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MayorOfMormania View Post
    I heard last fall that Competitive Cyclist was going to be the US distributor for Canyon.

A few years back I was in Italy and UPS'ed myself back 8 bottles of wine. Instead of listing the contents as wine, the UPS store told me list the contents as pottery to beat import duties. That might give you some ideas.
    I would define how many years "a few years" is. I would not knowingly falsify any document, let alone a customs content fraudulent entry, and I certainly wouldn't tell anyone else to do so.

Do it the proper way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MayorOfMormania View Post
    If that comes to pass, you can probably kiss your dreams of getting one as a value-oriented race bike goodbye.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    addressgermany is a Fraud .. Don't deal with this site.

Try this company: bpm-lux
    they are trusted and until now I have received all my three packages within One Week.

Regards,
    ma1ed

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ma1ed View Post
    addressgermany is a Fraud .. Don't deal with this site.

Try this company: bpm-lux
    they are trusted and until now I have received all my three packages within One Week.

Regards,
    ma1ed
    With this being your first post, credibility could be an issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    contact the shipper , and have them send it to you by fedex or UPS as BSO (broker select option) that way its delivered to fedex or UPS' distribution center
    - via the closest us port (airport) and then contact a customs broker near by ( check on the us customs website , under ports of entry, there should be a broker list .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelS View Post
    I'm just giving an advise. I have tried both and shared with you my experience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    From MN, very easy. Fly to Germany. Long layover in Amsterdam will allow you to rent a bike and ride around there a bit. Enjoy some good German beer, buy frame, enjoy some good German beer, pack frame, enjoy some good German beer, fly back to MN (with another long layover in Amsterdam).

The frame should be able to fit within your personal allowance so no import duties, no shipping costs, etc.

Velocipediologist
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelS View Post
    That and the fact this member is the person who dredged up this Thread. It was started in April.
    This mssg brought to you by Mr. Bananas.

Shouldn't it be called a 'nipple wrench'?