RoadBikeReview Member

Any Salida/Buena Vista, CO people here? Need help with a route.

I will be mountain biking around Salida in about two weeks. A buddy wants to take the road bike and do a ride. I climbed Cottonwood Pass a few years ago on Ride the Rockies, so I've thrown that out there to him as a possibility. Looking for help putting together a safe, fun route that includes that climb.

Please respond here or email me at mootsmtb at hotmail dot com. Thanks!

Doug

la dolce vita
    He can do Cottonwood as an out and back, the west side isn't paved, but rideable. He can also bike north out of BV to Twin Lakes and do Independence Pass as an out and back or a big time run into Aspen. If you go north of Twin Lakes, HWY 24 is too narrow to be safe IMHO.
    insert witty comment here

Diphthong
    I'd recommend Cottonwood Pass as an out and back.
    I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.

I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of $hit, man.

Yo no fui.
    Remember, it's "Boona Vista." Don't ask why, it just is.

The problem I've run into when it comes to making a loop in the mountains is you invariably end up biting off more than you can chew to make the loop. Any loop using Cottonwood Pass is gonna be huge such that the next day or days on the bike will suck.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll be doing this ride with him, and intend to climb the west side, the dirt side. Any recommendations to park and just make it an out and back? I've spent some time looking at maps today and don't want to make this an epic ride, so the out and back sounds appealing. We'll be out there for a week and don't want to burn out in one day.

Thanks.

Yo no fui.
    So you're going to dive over the hill from the Buena Vista/Salida side and then ride it?

Try to ride early and bring some rain gear for the afternoon t-storms.

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was thinking more like park somewhere, ride the west side to the top, and go back down.

Yo no fui.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMD
    I was thinking more like park somewhere, ride the west side to the top, and go back down.
    Well, yeah. But Salida and Buena Vista are on the east side of the pass. So, to ride the west side of the pass as an out and pack, you'd have to drive over some pass, then park, and then ride up and down the west side of the pass, and then drive back over seom pass to Salida and Buena Vista. That's why I'm confused.

Diphthong
    Ditto what Pablo says. Why drive to the other side of Cottonwood to just ride up and back on the dirt side? You could just ride from BV up Cottonwood and back down and skip the car ride. You can add as many miles before/after as you want.
    I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.

I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of $hit, man.