RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

Anybody ever dye a Microtex saddle?

Microtex is a synthetic material. It's what the Fizik Aliante saddle is made of. I want to dye some yellow thigh pads to a dark brown and am wondering about the proper type of dye to use. Not the color, I figure I wil have to do some experimentation for that. Since the basic saddle is black I figure if I'm careful I can do a pretty good job along the seam edge and am looking for suggestions for the type of dye to use. My first thought is to go to a leather shop but since the material is not leather I was wondering if someone has suggestions or possibilly has gone through this.
    Please don't tell me this is unnecessary and not important. I know it's not necessary but it's my bike and my money and I like things to look good. I found this beautiful antique brown Aliante saddle on eBay and lost the bid on it. Looking to buy another one, I found out that it was a color that was recalled because it had too high of a lead content in the covering for California regulations. All other states were ok with it just not California. Thanks you California, yes I "was" planning on eating this saddle. Anyway next best thing is to dye the yellow thigh pads on my existing one.
    If there is a better forum to post this in (useless stuff for bikes type forum) please let me know also.
    fire away.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    I can't help you, but if you do die it, let me know how it turns out. I could die my Arione red to match my bike. If it turns out bad I was planning on getting a cx carbon rail anyways.

I know a pro who rides for DLP, if you've seen they're team bikes, they have Arione saddles painted blue/lime green. So I guess theres a proper way to do it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    [QUOTE=david462]I can't help you, but if you do die it, let me know how it turns out. I could die my Arione red to match my bike. If it turns out bad I was planning on getting a cx carbon rail anyways.
    QUOTE]
    I'm gonna go to a leather shop tomorrow and talk to them. I'm really thinking that leather dye will work but I wanted to get some opinions. I wouldn't do this if I could find this Alainte saddle in the right color. This saddle is just made for my butt and I have to use it no matter what. I'm almost sorry I saw that saddle on eBay as I would probably just live with what I have. Oh well, this is my "bling" bike and this is the last component to purchase for it so I don't mind going a little crazy. I will let you know what happens.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Completele irrelevant, but somewhat related - I've actually thought about getting a white Regal, or even a honey Brooks, and having it tattooed.

corning my own beef
    A buddy of mine suggested the same thing -- I have three honey-colored Brooks Pro's -- but I tend to believe that to deface a Brooks with artwork would be an act of sacrilige.

duh...
    tattooing a leather saddle... verrry interesting idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    [QUOTE=martinrjensen][QUOTE=david462]I can't help you, but if you do die it, let me know how it turns out. .
    QUOTE]
    So I bought somne leather dye from Tandy Leather today. It's a pretty good match color wise. When I was looking at the saddle I noticed that the Alainte name was actually a decal. You can't stain over decal. Acetone disolved the decal fine and cleaned the thigh pads at the same time. I taped off the black part so i wouldn't get the brown stain on the black and stained the yellow. So far the dye job went on fine. I was careful to not stain the black seat part but there is (upon close inspection) a little of the yellow edge that I didn't stain but over all, it looks pretty good. It was really hard to stain along the edges and I errored on the side of caution so if yo look really close you can see a touch of yellow on the seam edge. Now it matches my handle bars as I wanted, and it definately looks better than the yellow that was there. Still if I could have gotten the saddle I wanted I wouldn't have gone through all this. Time will tell how long this lasts, but I have a whole bottle of dye ($5.00 ) to wipe on if it does. So far it looks like it is on there pretty good even though the bottle says "not for synthetic material" and this is not definately not leather. I probably won't be taking this bike for a ride for a couple days as it's raining and I have a specific rain bike but I am hopefull.