Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Black, silver, pewter.......it's all good. I'm just so glad we're past the late 2000s when almost every bike was white - YUCK!!!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by arshak View Post
    That is the work of a gentleman by the name of Stephen Needles in the UK

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Its a really nice look. I would be a bit afraid to ride it though

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I don't know what that other rider was thinking, shimano 7800 dura ace is a beautiful set of kit. And I'm a campy record and c record man from way back. I just bought a bike with a complete 7800 dura ace group that looks like it had maybe 5 miles put on it. I've taken it all apart and cleaned and re lubed all bearings , derailleur bearings and pins, cleaned and lubed the shifters, and new cables and housings. It is truly a stellar working and looking group. I am proud to have it setting next to my c record clad bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Its a really nice look. I would be a bit afraid to ride it though
    It’s polished aluminum. Nothing to worry about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by timsmcm View Post
    I don't know what that other rider was thinking, shimano 7800 dura ace is a beautiful set of kit. And I'm a campy record and c record man from way back. I just bought a bike with a complete 7800 dura ace group that looks like it had maybe 5 miles put on it. I've taken it all apart and cleaned and re lubed all bearings , derailleur bearings and pins, cleaned and lubed the shifters, and new cables and housings. It is truly a stellar working and looking group. I am proud to have it setting next to my c record clad bikes.
    7800, IMHO, was and still is the best looking of all the Hollowtech cranks.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by arshak View Post
    It’s polished aluminum. Nothing to worry about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I meant from a it's too pretty to get dirty perspective

Neophyte
    Ultegra 6600 came on my first road bike and I definitely thought silver looked nice, but I also like the extra styling put into more modern groupsets. Out of all of them in last 10 years I think I like DA9000 the most.

There was that interim Ultegra 6601 stuff that came in "ice grey"... I really liked that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    ...7800 is horrendous.
    when it was first released I thought so too.

but now that I own it, I think it's pretty nice.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I meant from a it's too pretty to get dirty perspective
    I'm more of the "it's too pretty not to use" type of guy.

I couldn't imagine building a bicycle and then being afraid to ride it for fear of damaging it in some way. Shux, sometimes I enjoy riding my bikes in the rain just because it's raining and I'm not worried about the bike getting wet and dirty. I also enjoy seeing others out on their good bikes in inclement weather, enjoying them in all their glory.

Too many people get the bike of their dreams, and then are afraid to use them for fear of putting a mark on it, or something.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    polishing the aluminum kind of ruins the part though, and gives it a very inauthentic look imho. These parts come from the factory with a protective anodizing. And Camagnolo's has traditionally been the most refined jewel-like anodized finish, well it was in the 80s and 90s iirc. To take a polishing compound and wheel to it is removing all the protective anodizing, exposing the bare metal to the elements, and making it look very un-campagnolo. Thenceforth the user is going to be obliged to keep up with the polishing and/or using protective films and/or clear coating them, otherwise the oxidation is going to set in fairly quickly.

but then, maybe you want the custom chromed-everything look, like Harley riders go for

I prefer the antique patina on my old Campy parts, it is still in mostly clean and pretty condition, like antique jewelry

Beautiful bike!

Hey, the cables come out the top of the hoods, and the gruppo is "Record C," '88-92, right? I didn't realize Campy offered "banana catcher" levers that late in the game.

Also that black anodized Cinelli stem is one of the first years, early '80s, black components made their appearance on the good bikes. Riders used to tout black absorbed sunlight that would bounce off a silver stem into the eyes of the rider. They would also claim anodizing, somewhat like chroming, made the components a little stiffer, so they spread the look to all the components.

We suspected, true or not, that black anodizing was cheaper to produce than polishing the aluminum underneath and then clear coating it. So that's why the stuff came out. Super Record had black on the rear derailleur cage, front derailleur parts other than the chrome cage, and black pedal cages by '85. Dark anodized Mavic rims soon followed, MA 40s, right? Very popular by the early 90s. So it was a long slide into black.

Carbon frames pulled the black components together and made the aesthetic work.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 03-30-2018 at 10:13 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I'm more of the "it's too pretty not to use" type of guy.

I couldn't imagine building a bicycle and then being afraid to ride it for fear of damaging it in some way. Too many people get the bike of their dreams, and then are afraid to use them for fear of putting a mark on it, or something.
    Exactly! It's a bike, not a museum piece. Of course that first scratch is always emotionally draining, but once I get past that, it's all good.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Exactly! It's a bike, not a museum piece. Of course that first scratch is always emotionally draining, but once I get past that, it's all good.
    Then there is a story like this...

"blackmountaincycles said...

I remember seeing Nelson at Pacific Coast Cycles in Carlsbad, CA (a shop I was soon to start working), where the national team would winter. Nelson, upon finishing the assembly of his new bike, took a ball peen hammer and neatly dented the top tube saying "it's going to happen sooner or later." Thanks for the reminder of a great cyclist."

I don't know if it's true but a comment to this blog post

Dave Moulton's Bike Blog: NelsonVails
    Too old to ride plastic

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    " Super Record had black on the rear derailleur cage, front derailleur parts other than the chrome cage, and black pedal cages by '85. Dark anodized Mavic rims soon followed, MA 40s, right? Very popular by the early 90s. So it was a long slide into black."

Dark anodized MA 40s came out a few years before 1985. They weren't created for cosmetic reasons but rather because the hard anodizing process created rims which were much stronger. I had a pair with well over 40,000 miles on them that showed nearly no wear on the braking surfaces. You certainly cannot say the same of modern rims.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    didn't the tubular Mavic GP4 come out even earlier than 85, with dark coating? my Battaglin has those rims ( with 80s Super Record hubs, C record hubs being too pricey on the vintage market). The GP4 of mid 80s was like an anodizing, but the later MA40 and Open 2Cd etc had some kind of dark shinier finish than my GP4s have, and they had ceramic coating which was supposed to be harder and help with braking on long descents
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 03-31-2018 at 03:08 PM.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    didn't the tubular Mavic GP4 come out even earlier than 85, with dark coating? my Battaglin has those rims ( with 80s Super Record hubs, C record hubs being too pricey on the vintage market). The GP4 of mid 80s was like an anodizing, but the later MA40 and Open 2Cd etc had some kind of dark shinier finish than my GP4s have, and they had ceramic coating which was supposed to be harder and help with braking on long descents
    VeloBase.com - Component: Mavic GP 4 (Red Label) has the red label GP4's from the 70's thru the early 80's

VeloBase.com - Component: Mavic GP 4 also shows the yellow/purple GP4's from the late 80's thru the 90's.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    I thought the 70s GP4 were silver though, not dark ano

RoadBikeReview Member
    VeloBase.com - Component: Mavic GP 4 (Red Label) has the red label GP4's from the 70's thru the early 80's

VeloBase.com - Component: Mavic GP 4 also shows the yellow/purple GP4's from the late 80's thru the 90's.
    Now I remember the shop built the DeRosa with GP4 tubs in '84, like the "Red" label in the first link.

About a year later my brief love affair of tubulars wore out. The brake surfaces were getting distorted by the spokes. Tires were expensive, hard to repair, and I could never get them mounted to be as smooth riding as clinchers.

Colorado Cyclist had a great pair of Ambrosio 19 Elite Durex rims, Record hubs of course. So switched to those clinchers in '85, and rebuilt the tubulars with shiny Campy "Lambda" clincher rims in the '90s. They're still true-able after 5 or 6 wipeouts. Also still using the front Ambrosio wheel on the commuter, waiting for the brake surfaces to delaminate.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 03-31-2018 at 08:24 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    I miss the durability of Group sets like Shimano 7800. Today's group sets like 9000/9100 maybe shift beautifully but it comes at a price of more frequent replacements of cassettes and chains along with cables. It just so happens that they ended roughly aproximate to the move away from polished metal

RoadBikeReview Member
    I thought the 70s GP4 were silver though, not dark ano
    How about these...

VeloBase.com - Component: Mavic Monthlery Pro
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    makes sense. you know I never heard of that model name till now . yet I bet I built a half dozen of those rims. GP4 were the most common back then though (80s)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    To me it depends on the bike. Certain bikes for sure deserve a certain look. For instance I have a Eddy Merckx Corsa0.1 which IMO "needs" to have silver components. When I initially built this bike it had 2006 Record on it. Carbon levers, cranks, carbon and Ti on the derailleurs. After a couple of years I decided to "downgrade" the bike to Campy Athena 11 spd (Record was 10 spd so interesting downgrade). Honestly this bike only gets ridden a couple of times a year and is more about the look than performance.

Anybody miss the polished silver component groups?-dsc_0115.jpgAnybody miss the polished silver component groups?-dsc_0117.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BelgianHammer View Post
    As I mentioned in my opening thread, here is Campy's Potenza 11-speed polished-silver groupo, supposedly developed to go head-to-head with Shimano Ultegra. Potenza costs about $800-900 for the groupo. Potenza is nice looking stuff, but like I said, for $$$$ and sanity reasons, I just can't bring myself to add another diff manufactuer groupo & all its maintenance components (chains, cassettes, rings, etc). Already running Shimano and SRAM gruppos is a $$$$ headache between multiple, but adding Campy to that mix? My name is not J.P. Morgan.....

Attachment 322237

Attachment 322238

Attachment 322239

Belgian Hammer - no need to stock up on chains, and cassettes. 11 speed is interchangeable between shimano/ sram and campy. Use your old wheels with Shimano 11 speed freehubs. Leonard Zinn tested and approved. Any 11 speed chain should be fine TBH.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sweet. The frame color ties the red tape, tires and saddle together nicely, of course jeweled up with polished silver. Carbon black would have definitely ruined the look.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Sweet. The frame color ties the red tape, tires and saddle together nicely, of course jeweled up with polished silver. Carbon black would have definitely ruined the look.
    Thanks. I really do need to get some new photos of thew bike...if the sun ever comes out again here. No good full side shot (not sure why as I am sure I took several), and no shot of the Miche seatpost which really is a work of art. The color scheme I went with can look a little Ronald McDonald if I'm being fully honest. I've thought of toning it down a tad.

Originally the bike had reynolds carbon bars and a Oval carbon stem but they went when I got rid of the Record gear. It was nice that Ritchey had just come out with these classic look WCS parts.

I was able to find a side shot of the original build.
    Anybody miss the polished silver component groups?-339932_293541027324002_1061053506_o.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    oh yeah it is a winner with silver bits!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast