Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    I totally agree here. Weed makes a more cautions and paranoid driver.
    I once drove home down the NJ TPK on the right lane, doing something like 45mph...the lights were just zooming by at warp speed. Super careful.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    There's no point here unless you see erratic driving, and in that case, who cares what caused it?

Weed is everywhere here in colorado, the main difference between it and alcohol is that you can smell it from long distances. It'd be scary to be able to tell by smell how many cars that pass by are driven by drinkers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    After a previous thread on marijuana, I did some research. Studies are mixed on driving. From what I found, reflexes are not affected, but judgement and perception of conditions is. Also distractions come into play.

You can be arrested and charged with dui in most states, but an officer has to have probable cause to make the stop. Erratic driving etc. you can test, but it requires a blood test. There is no black letter standard like for alcohol. You have to convince the court that the driver is under the influence, just like any other drug

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harryman View Post
    There's no point here unless you see erratic driving, and in that case, who cares what caused it?
    I was going to write a comment about what the point would be - then I remembered why they call it "dope."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I was gonna type out a lengthy and informative reply, then I got high.

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    On the list of dangerous driver habits pot smoking ranks below:
    cell phone using drivers (even hands-free)
    make-up applying drivers
    teenage drivers
    alcohol inebriated drivers
    'bicycle enraged' drivers

so NO, I would never call the cops.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    I did not see any post where where the presence of passengers was mentioned. In my earlier post, there was only a driver in the car, which now that I think of it is pretty sad as I associated smoking dope as an activity shared with others.
    Was I responding directly to you? hhmmmmm. Nope, to the OP and in general about the issue. In any case...

Assumptions tend to close of the mind to other possibilities.

For example, even if you don't see anyone but the driver, a passenger might be situated below window line while toking up. It would take some close observation to make sure that was not the case, and personally when riding I would care more about the car and the driver's actions than what is in the car.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    No but I have call the police on a car that pulled a gun on me, I think that would be worse than a little smoke in my eyes.
    I would rather meet smokers than drinkers on the road!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biscut View Post
    In the area you speak of not much if anything is done. This one isn't due to the cops. It's is more centered around the extreme difficulty of getting a conviction of a DWAI (no DWI for drugs and therefore no DWI as a felony when sefond offense in 10 years). Unless you draw blood...meeting the standard of proof is just not going to happen. Even if the driver admits to smoking marijuana.
    A urine sample will show weed. The trouble with this test is that the active ingredient lasts in your bloodstream for about a month.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    You know what bothers me? The fockers that blow the black diesel smoke. Those coal rollers. They're an issue for me. Minor and all probably but it's offensive.
    More than offensive. This a-hole in a jacked up pickup truck rolled coal on a bunch of us last year. It was choking! I wish I had gotten is license plate #. I believe there is a hefty fine ($1,000 in NJ) for modifying your vehicle to be able to do this.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    I was gonna type out a lengthy and informative reply, then I got high.
    I was gonna manufacture some quibbling point about how you are wrong, then I got high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    I once drove home down the NJ TPK on the right lane, doing something like 45mph...the lights were just zooming by at warp speed. Super careful.
    Reminds me of the time I drove while tripping on LSD......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    A friend of mine tells the story of the time a Grateful Dead concert in New Haven, CT was cancelled at the last minute because Jerry Garcia was rushed to the hospital with a collapsed lung. He said that everyone first looked at each other saying, "Oh no! Jerry's in the hospital!" Then after a bit they all looked at each other... "Oh no! We're all dosed up and no show!" He said just about everybody on I-95 was driving at about 25mph as they made their way home...
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Yep. That's not easy. Especially when the ground is wet and reflecting everything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I'm MUCH more worried about distracted by their phone drivers. I smell marijuana cars close to once a week from passing cars in the park I ride in. They seem to be obeying all the laws and not speeding at all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What gets me are all the construction workers I see in the park smoking weed during lunchtime. They are building a few apartment towers in the area.

-- Warren Buffett

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    unless they're hanging drywall.

i'll do the measuring there, bub!
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to blackfrancois again."

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by greatestalltime View Post
    Yep. That's not easy. Especially when the ground is wet and reflecting everything.
    And it gets worse when the reflections become 3 dimensional, forming an ever changing field of multicolored knobs and dimples all over the road ahead.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to blackfrancois again."
    yeah, i hung drywall for the first time recently, helping out my bro with his new house. really gotta be on your toes when measuring that stuff. it's way too heavy to screw up. (no pun.)

measure thrice, cut twice! wait... B^)
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In general, I'm smelling a lot more weed on any rides I do these day, road or mountain.

Road cycling south, I continue to be amazed how consistently people are getting high in Yonkers as I enter town along the river. Every night, multiple spots.

Tonight I MTB'ed the aquaduct north...caught the smell somewhere in the woods of Irvington.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12