Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

Anyone called cops on car reeking of marijuana?

I ride in the suburbs just north of New York City. A couple of years ago New York State reclassified possession of small amounts of marijuana as a violation instead of a misdemeanor, which means you get fined but no other real consequences.

However, *driving* while under the influence of marijuana is still treated pretty much like DWI as far as I can tell from a quick google search, which means you're subject to arrest, license revocation, etc.

I'm sure we've all had the experience of riding and being passed by a car that simply reeks of marijuana smoke, to the point at which there's little doubt that someone's got a joint or two lit up in car.

I have no personal problem with marijuana use when it will not affect others. But driving while smoking it is way across the line in my opinion, especially if I'm out there on a bike. I've been tempted at times to call 911 and report the license plate and location of these cars, but have never actually done so.

Anyone have any thoughts or actual experience with this issue?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    This just happened to me on a ride last week and yes; it pisses me off as well. Unfortunately, I don't own a cellphone. If I did, I'd have ALL the local police department phone numbers stored in the phone because while agree with you on the seriousness of doping and driving, I feel 911 should be reserved for more urgent police business.

Some people may think it's petty, but the police truly rely on the public to be their eyes and ears when it comes to police work. If we keep our mouths shut, we deserve what happens to us.

30 mpdb
    You're harshing my mellow, man. If they are driving erratically and/or you don't feel safe, then by all means. But be careful - using a mobile phone while operating a moving vehicle is just as dangerous.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by beeristasty View Post
    If they are driving erratically and/or you don't feel safe, then by all means.
    this.

in seattle, you'd be calling the cops ten times on every ride.

using a mobile phone while operating a moving vehicle is far more dangerous.
    fixed
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Forever a Student
    I experience the smoking drivers frequently. Kind of go with the country roads in these parts. So far none of them have given any hassle at all, nothing dangerous.

There's houses too... ones that always smell like fresh plants if you know what I mean. I don't bother any of them, they don't bother me.

You know what bothers me? The fockers that blow the black diesel smoke. Those coal rollers. They're an issue for me. Minor and all probably but it's offensive.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    I frequently smell it when cars pass also. I've never experienced one driving erratically though. I don't think it's right but I would still rather have drivers smoke marijuana than drink alcohol.
    2012 Motobecane Le Champion Team Titanium
    2002 Jamis Eclipse
    2000 Specialized Allez Elite

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    As far as I know Cops don't have a way to test for it. So unless the person is caught in the act of driving bad and there's a empty box of twinkles in the car you might be wasting the Cops time because they cant test for it. Someone please correct me if there is a way cops can test for driving under the influence of weed.

I've wanted to report texters but figure that will be a waste of time too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB176 View Post
    . . . but I would still rather have drivers smoke marijuana than drink alcohol.
    I totally agree here. Weed makes a more cautions and paranoid driver.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    In the area you speak of not much if anything is done. This one isn't due to the cops. It's is more centered around the extreme difficulty of getting a conviction of a DWAI (no DWI for drugs and therefore no DWI as a felony when sefond offense in 10 years). Unless you draw blood...meeting the standard of proof is just not going to happen. Even if the driver admits to smoking marijuana.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB176 View Post
    I frequently smell it when cars pass also. I've never experienced one driving erratically though. I don't think it's right but I would still rather have drivers smoke marijuana than drink alcohol.
    Agreed.
    I've also worked with both and would much rather work with someone that's stoned than drunk.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Russian Troll Farmer
    You know, back when I toked, the paranoia alone probably made me a BETTER driver.......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    I don't own a cellphone.
    What would you do if you get stranded in the middle of solo ride?

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    ... would much rather work with someone that's stoned than drunk.
    unless they're hanging drywall.

i'll do the measuring there, bub!
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    I totally agree here. Weed makes a more cautions and paranoid driver.
    Would you say that to the guy who would kill your loved on? So many of the posts I'm reading show an utter lack of reality. Sounds like you dudes are out of touch. Today's weed aint the **** you smoked when you were "experimenting." When I was a kid (grad HS 1990) some red hairs and moist bud was the bomb. Now its hydro and has crystals and purple ****. Alcohol is usually involved with weed as well. Heck of a combo.

Lets not forget that weed is also often used to bring someone down from other more intense highs.

Big important factor here. I'll us me. I'm a very active guy. I have been a party guy since 15. Became a cop and dropped the other fun stuff at 21. I can drink beer and wine literally all day and hit the volleyball court or basketball court til I drop. Beach heat 90F and a cooler of beer; I'm there. And then ready to go after a shower! I can function at a pretty high BAC.

NOW lets have shots...Everything changes. I'm no "man" when it comes to hard liquor. It just wrecks me. I mean silly boy wreck. Only time I have liquor is a few times a year with a good steak. I don't eat much steak. But when I do it's good and I love a top quality craft bourbon straight up...don't like it neat. But if I have more than 2...bad news for me.

That whole soap box is meant to mirror the thread where a guy asks; what XXX is best for me?? And everyone answers, depends on xxx. It's kida the same...1 guys intox on weed isnt the same as another on alcohol. So variable and dependable on the person.

30 mpdb
    Plus: Snitches get stitches.

But it all depends on how savvy the ociffer lays it out if/when they pull that car over. If the po po say they got a report from a cyclist about the strong odor of the diggity-dank, then godspeed my friend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Walk.
    Ride on the flat tire.
    Hail a passing car.
    Knock on someone's door and ask for help.
    Exercise patience and discipline.
    Whatever else people did before cellphones existed.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by bike981 View Post
    I'm sure we've all had the experience of riding and being passed by a car that simply reeks of marijuana smoke, to the point at which there's little doubt that someone's got a joint or two lit up in car.

I have no personal problem with marijuana use when it will not affect others. But driving while smoking it....
    I have not had that experience.

Interesting how everyone assumes the driver is smoking, and not just the passenger(s). Plenty of people use designated drivers, or at least have a driver who waits before partaking until arrival at a destination.

I have no problem with calling in dangerous drivers, but just smelling pot seems to me to fall short of being enough to make such a call, absent line crossing or weaving or something like that.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Walk home....clop,clop,clop.....

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by biscut View Post
    Would you say that to the guy who would kill your loved on? So many of the posts I'm reading show an utter lack of reality. Sounds like you dudes are out of touch. Today's weed aint the **** you smoked when you were "experimenting." When I was a kid (grad HS 1990) some red hairs and moist bud was the bomb. Now its hydro and has crystals and purple ****. Alcohol is usually involved with weed as well. Heck of a combo.

Lets not forget that weed is also often used to bring someone down from other more intense highs.

Big important factor here. I'll us me. I'm a very active guy. I have been a party guy since 15. Became a cop and dropped the other fun stuff at 21. I can drink beer and wine literally all day and hit the volleyball court or basketball court til I drop. Beach heat 90F and a cooler of beer; I'm there. And then ready to go after a shower! I can function at a pretty high BAC.

NOW lets have shots...Everything changes. I'm no "man" when it comes to hard liquor. It just wrecks me. I mean silly boy wreck. Only time I have liquor is a few times a year with a good steak. I don't eat much steak. But when I do it's good and I love a top quality craft bourbon straight up...don't like it neat. But if I have more than 2...bad news for me.

That whole soap box is meant to mirror the thread where a guy asks; what XXX is best for me?? And everyone answers, depends on xxx. It's kida the same...1 guys intox on weed isnt the same as another on alcohol. So variable and dependable on the person.
    While there is some truth to the statement that "it depends", the bolded paragraph shows an extreme level of hypocrisy. "I can function at a pretty high BAC." Wow... talk about out of touch...
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Interesting how everyone assumes the driver is smoking, and not just the passenger(s).
    I did not see any post where where the presence of passengers was mentioned. In my earlier post, there was only a driver in the car, which now that I think of it is pretty sad as I associated smoking dope as an activity shared with others.

a real member's member
    that's why i carry a flare gun and megaphone.

and bit of bud and my little pipe, of course.

you never know...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    Walk.
    Ride on the flat tire.
    Hail a passing car.
    Knock on someone's door and ask for help.
    Exercise patience and discipline.
    Whatever else people did before cellphones existed.
    Before cell phones people used pay phones. Remember the expression 'drop a dime'?

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb100 View Post
    Before cell phones people used pay phones. Remember the expression 'drop a dime'?
    Yup. I'd walk to a payphone and page my buddy.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb100 View Post
    While I get the humor, I think the poster was implying being on a solo ride where you may not have access to ANYTHING.

What amazes me is people use their cellphones as a substitute for being prepared. "No big deal; if I'm too far out and I'm tired, I'll just call for a ride."

If I'm on a ride without resources and support, I make sure I plan for emergencies. Maybe the ride calls for carrying a chain tool, or a tire boot, or (fill in this space). Many people will take exceptional risks reasoning that if they get in trouble all they have to do is call SOMEONE ELSE. In the end, they learn nothing about preparation, ingenuity, and perseverance. As the Dead Kennedy's used to say, "Give me convenience or give me death!"

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    While there is some truth to the statement that "it depends", the bolded paragraph shows an extreme level of hypocrisy. "I can function at a pretty high BAC." Wow... talk about out of touch...

Yes, especially the part where he says:

"Lets not forget that weed is also often used to bring someone down from other more intense highs. "

Really????What a bunch of cr@p. Typical cop hyperbole. And cops wonder why most people don't trust them; it B.S. like this (as well as the poster's obvious lack of education, indicated by his atrocious spelling and grammar...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast