Jack of no trades

Question Anyone have the new Oakely ARO5 helmet?

I just got mine delivered today. The directions are rather lacking in ... direction.

There are three positions for height adjustment. Oakley refers to them as "snap-posts." Apparently I'm supposed to pull on the snap-post attachment to disengage and relocate to another position. Only problem is that it will not simply pull out, and I feel that if I pull to hard I'm only going to break the snap-post of the entire plastic attachment thing.

Anyone have a clue on how to make the height adjustments?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Wood Devil View Post
    I just got mine delivered today. The directions are rather lacking in ... direction.

There are three positions for height adjustment. Oakley refers to them as "snap-posts." Apparently I'm supposed to pull on the snap-post attachment to disengage and relocate to another position. Only problem is that it will not simply pull out, and I feel that if I pull to hard I'm only going to break the snap-post of the entire plastic attachment thing.

Anyone have a clue on how to make the height adjustments?
    You have to pull them really hard. They're pretty tight in there.
    Do you find that this helmet gets too hot in the summer and on climbs?

Jack of no trades
    It doesn't seem to be any hotter wearing it (not like my old Giro Air Attack), but something about the design of the helmet and vents cause sweat to drip over the lens of my Jawbreakers instead of blowing off to the sides like with my Giro Atmos. Also, those same Jawbreakers don't lock into the vents and stay in place when you're not wearing them; head into a convenience store for water and they'll slide right out the instant you tilt you head forward.

Another problem I have with the helmet is the vent scoop at the rear: at higher speeds air flows in and lifts the helmet away from the head.

For looks I'd give ARO5 a 9. For fit and functionality I'd give it a 5 or 6 at best.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    So your aro5 doesn't feel significantly hotter than your Atmos on hot summer days especially on climbs?

Jack of no trades
    No, it has decent ventilation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    It doesn't seem to be any hotter wearing it (not like my old Giro Air Attack), but something about the design of the helmet and vents cause sweat to drip over the lens of my Jawbreakers instead of blowing off to the sides like with my Giro Atmos. Also, those same Jawbreakers don't lock into the vents and stay in place when you're not wearing them; head into a convenience store for water and they'll slide right out the instant you tilt you head forward.

Another problem I have with the helmet is the vent scoop at the rear: at higher speeds air flows in and lifts the helmet away from the head.

For looks I'd give ARO5 a 9. For fit and functionality I'd give it a 5 or 6 at best.
    Odd that Oakley of all companies don't have a great placement and retention for their own shades. Thanks for the details - this is one helmet I have been looking at.

Jack of no trades
    That's what irked me as well. You'd think they would at the very least get their own sunglasses to seat properly within the vents; in their ads for the helmet they actually make a point of how they specifically designed the vents to stow the sunglasses. But still ... tilt you head forward and the $250 Jawbreakers end up on the asphalt of the floor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    That's what irked me as well. You'd think they would at the very least get their own sunglasses to seat properly within the vents; in their ads for the helmet they actually make a point of how they specifically designed the vents to stow the sunglasses. But still ... tilt you head forward and the $250 Jawbreakers end up on the asphalt of the floor.
    Yup. Lost a pair like that last year right around this time. Fell off my helmet and before I could circle back you head the crunch of a car driving right over them. Was wearing a Catlike whisper.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Iím amazed that a person would pay $250 for a pair of sunglasses!

I mean, you could get some pretty sweet jockey wheels for that kind of Coin !

Amirite?
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

Darling of The Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    This fits in well with $12,000 bike thread

If I Had $12,000 to Spend...

For me, it's sunglasses at Nashbar. They save me from if financial coronary if they fall onto the pavement.

Jack of no trades
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post

I mean, you could get some pretty sweet jockey wheels for that kind of Coin !

Amirite?
    $250 for the sunglasses. $250 for the helmet. And lets not even get into the price of the bike and upgrade components. It's always sickened me the cost that manufacturers charge for their products. But if there are idiots like me who are willing to spend the money for it ...