slyjackson

Anyone Tried Endurox or another recovery mix ?

I'm looking for some help in selecting a good recovery drink or something that would add a little endurance to myself. I eat well for the most part and take a multi-vitamin, but I was thinking that some of this stuff I see out there may actually help me get "over the hump" so the speak.

Sometimes I just don't seem to have the energy to ride like I should.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like Endurox a lot (one of the fruit flavors like tropical punch). It's hard to tell if it's a placebo effect, but I feel like I've recovered better when I use it. I use it immediately after my ride then follow it with a meal 30 minutes later. It doesn't have much glutamine in it-there's some suggestion glutamine helps recovery as well. You can buy glutamine powder and add it if you're so inclined.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

I do...

I use Accelerade during my ride and often drink Endurox afterwards. There's really no way to know how much good is does, but at least it provides food with the 4/1 carb to protein ratio. I also use vanilla Endurox in fruit smoothies, if I want extra calories. I use a scoop of Endurox, two scoops of whey protein, some frozen mango chunks and some frozen blueberries with enough water to make the consistency of a malt.
    Last edited by C-40; 07-11-2007 at 04:32 AM.

A Midwesterner In Europe
    Mar 2005
    Try Ultragen. It's expensive but it works. The Orange Creamsicle flavor is good. It also contains a lot of vitamins which is nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

You mean, like, food?

Quote Originally Posted by slyjackson
    I'm looking for some help in selecting a good recovery drink or something that would add a little endurance to myself. I eat well for the most part and take a multi-vitamin, but I was thinking that some of this stuff I see out there may actually help me get "over the hump" so the speak.

Sometimes I just don't seem to have the energy to ride like I should.
    Recovery drinks and mixes are just high priced (and perhaps) convenient versions of food. Nothing miraculous that you can't get with fruit and yogurt, or whole wheat toast with a little low-fat cheese, etc, etc, etc. At any rate, if you're going to spend the $$ on something, make sure it has some protein and that you like the taste. Beyond that, there is zero scientific evidence that these things are any better than food.

slyjackson
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    Recovery drinks and mixes are just high priced (and perhaps) convenient versions of food. Nothing miraculous that you can't get with fruit and yogurt, or whole wheat toast with a little low-fat cheese, etc, etc, etc. At any rate, if you're going to spend the $$ on something, make sure it has some protein and that you like the taste. Beyond that, there is zero scientific evidence that these things are any better than food.
    You know what you said makes a lot of sense and I agree. I do not want to buy stuff thats going to do nothing more than make me "Fat". I can eat a couple of pizzas and do that, all the carbs that anyone needs is in that.. My goal is to lose weight. I just need a little boost every now and then to get me pass the occasional lazy spell that hits me at least twice a week. Thanks for the advice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I looked at the ingredients on the Endurox and it says that it has over 13 times your daily allowance for vitamin E. I thought that exceeding the daily allowance for vitamins A,D,K, & E was bad for you. It has something to do with their being fat soluble vs. water soluble like others. I think you can build a toxicity after a while. Hey, I'm no dr. though. Is there a dr. in the house?

During my rides I usually have one bottle of straight water and another of somewhat diluted fruit juice. It seems to work as well as any of the more scientific drinks.

I usually drink some orange juice and eat a peanut butter sandwich or something. It ain't rocket science but it seems to work. I just listen to my body. The other night after a long day in the saddle, I was craving a hamburger. So, I grilled up some burgers and ate them. I think I'm going to market under the name "Beef-Ade", "Red-Meet", "Super Co-Moo-Tion", or something to that effect. Anybody in?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    every time the subject of supplements(of any sort) comes up, someone always responds: just eat food. pills, drinks, bars - no, milk, fruit, nuts - yes. ok, so on my next ride, instead of a tidy packet of gel, and water bottle of mix, I think I will bring: chocolate milk, bananas, yogurt, and maybe a small planter of wheat grass. sounds alot easier...,I just need to make sure that I am hitting the fruit and dairy stand at the market everyday.

obviously whole foods are the basics of good nutrition. I disagree that they are the only appropriate option in all scenarios

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

cook before you ride

I like to prepare something tasty and healthy so it's ready when I get home from my long rides. Sometimes when I'm having a bad patch of riding I eat some HammerGel and think of the meal awaiting me when I get home and feel a little better. No way thinking about Endurox could help my morale. I have no anecdotal evidence that it did me any good or any harm to drink it, just that it was expensive and harder to swallow than a tasty meal and a pale ale.
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.

Meow!
    I have a mostly unused cannister of Endorox in my kitchen cabinet. I just didn't like the taste much--I think I have the orange or citrus flavor. It's been so long since I bought it that I can't really remember. After that costly experiment, I just switched back to chocolate milk. It's relatively cheap, I like the way it tastes after a long ride, its cuts the worst of my hunger and provides some extra calcium. For the rides that I have to drive to, I bought a cheap thermos at Target and bring it along with me. The milk always stays cold, even on the hottest of days. Once I'm home, I eat a balanced meal. Mostly carbs, some protein a little fat, along with several big glasses of water.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

On the Bike vs. After the Ride

Quote Originally Posted by slyjackson
    I'm looking for some help in selecting a good recovery drink or something that would add a little endurance to myself.
    My two cents: It's not clear what you're asking. "Recovery" nutrition is different from the question of what to eat on the bike that will allow you to ride longer.

On the bike, you want a steady supply of carbs, weighted towards simple carbs that the body can process quickly & easily. (This, of course, is in addittion to water, electrolytes, etc.). The issue here is that your rate of gastric emptying (i.e., your ability to take calories in and actually pass them through the stomach and absorb them into your system through the intestines) is only about 200-300 cal per hour, so you need to make those calories count and they need to be quickly absorbable.

AFTER the ride, you need to take in food pretty quick (I've heard guidelines ranging from "immediately" to w/i 40 minutes of the ride being over), and that food should have complex carbs and lean protein. You don't want simple carbs at this point because with your decreased activity they'll tend to trigger an insulin response and convert the sugars to fat (no recovery) instead of allowing them to be absorbed in a way that rebuilds your glycogen stores (recovery). I think the current CW is that the mix should be about a 3:1 ratio of complex carbs to protein -- not sure why, and not sure how much magic there is to that mix. I mostly believe that the key to good recovery is to not stop the intake of nutrition for too long a period near the end of the ride to the point where you start eating after the ride. For me, "too long" is somewhat dependant on the ride, but probably ranges from 30 minutes to an hour.

In any case, I've found that I recover best if I keep up the water and simple carb intake on the bike all the way up till very near the end of my ride. I typically use Gu2o or Hammer Gel while on the bike. Then take in liquid recovery food right afterwards (I've been trying Hammer RecoverRight, but the "high protein" formulation of the Ensure drink also works), then start "grazing" on healthy stuff right after that -- fruit, yoghurt, turkey sando, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I've used Endurox for a couple seasons, and find a noticable differance when I use it after workouts. I recently completed the BTC tour, and the 2 days after I used Endurox were noticably stronger than previous days. Lots of variables I know, but this is an easy one to control. Expensive? I go through 2 $25 jugs per season, I can save $50 in lots of other ways. I buy the vanilla, and make a smoothie as soon as I get back from my ride. Ice/banana/yogurt/2 scoops Endurox/peaches are good/whatevers left in my Accelerade bottle/maybe a touch of skim milk. These always taste great-I rarely drink the stuff straight. I then skip lunch or eat a very light lunch-no carbs if I'm training light and trying to drop a few pounds, more carbs if I'm training hard and have a big event/ride coming up. If you're curious, I highly recommend you try it-I feel there's a real improvement in recovery.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    try powerbar recovery shake

RoadBikeReview Member
    Chocolate milk after a ride works for me so far.
    HEED and figs for ride fuel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like the stuff when i can't get a meal right away. Of course you can get all the nutrients in regular food however the delivery of a recovery drink or smoothie is faster. This is the real key. When you eat, not what you eat. If you wait 3 hours after a hard effort you're going to feel sluggish. A bottle of recovery drink keeps well in your cooler for after a race, or even at home when the family isn't going to eat for a while. Just down a bottle while before or after the shower. But if dinner is ready, no recovery drink needed!

Like eating on the bike. Cliff bars keep well in a pocket, but so do bananas or fig bars in bag. What you eat isn't often quite as important as THAT you eat.

Instead of shelling out for the whole can, as around. I'm sure you know someone that uses it and would give you a sample. If you don't like the taste, find soemthing else. Life is too short for bad food!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfleck
    I like the stuff when i can't get a meal right away.
    I agree. I think the convenience of gels and energy bars and drinks far outweigh having to carry the fruit salad or grilled chicken with you on a ride. It's just the recovert part where my tummy would rather see some more normal, less performance-based-engineered food. That make sense? Maybe it's just my stomach, but too many gels and energy bars or drinks makes me feel pretty green. I do bring beef jerky on long rides though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillen
    My two cents: It's not clear what you're asking. "Recovery" nutrition is different from the question of what to eat on the bike that will allow you to ride longer.

On the bike, you want a steady supply of carbs, weighted towards simple carbs that the body can process quickly & easily. (This, of course, is in addittion to water, electrolytes, etc.). The issue here is that your rate of gastric emptying (i.e., your ability to take calories in and actually pass them through the stomach and absorb them into your system through the intestines) is only about 200-300 cal per hour, so you need to make those calories count and they need to be quickly absorbable.

AFTER the ride, you need to take in food pretty quick (I've heard guidelines ranging from "immediately" to w/i 40 minutes of the ride being over), and that food should have complex carbs and lean protein. You don't want simple carbs at this point because with your decreased activity they'll tend to trigger an insulin response and convert the sugars to fat (no recovery) instead of allowing them to be absorbed in a way that rebuilds your glycogen stores (recovery). I think the current CW is that the mix should be about a 3:1 ratio of complex carbs to protein -- not sure why, and not sure how much magic there is to that mix. I mostly believe that the key to good recovery is to not stop the intake of nutrition for too long a period near the end of the ride to the point where you start eating after the ride. For me, "too long" is somewhat dependant on the ride, but probably ranges from 30 minutes to an hour.

In any case, I've found that I recover best if I keep up the water and simple carb intake on the bike all the way up till very near the end of my ride. I typically use Gu2o or Hammer Gel while on the bike. Then take in liquid recovery food right afterwards (I've been trying Hammer RecoverRight, but the "high protein" formulation of the Ensure drink also works), then start "grazing" on healthy stuff right after that -- fruit, yoghurt, turkey sando, etc.

Hillen says it best. That's exactly what I do. Listen to your body. Accelarade does not sit well in my stomach during a ride or post ride for that matter. The taste is horrible.

RoadBikeReview Member

well

Accelerade/endurox never sat well with my stomach and i couldn't tell a difference (at least not huge) in using them. I wasn't using anything, and then I decided to try the stuff from hammer nutrition. I always used hammergel during the rides, and saw what a lot of adventure racers were saying about hammer stuff....so i thought i would try it. I use heed during the ride and recoverite immediately after. I noticed a big difference the next day after i started using recoverite...on and off the bike. Before i would still feel a little sluggish (legs) when climbing a lot of stairs, ect...and would feel good on the bike but not great......after i started using recoverite i felt great the next day on and off the bike.

Hammer stuff seems to work for me, give it a shot and see what you think.
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    well, it is like food, because it is food, isn't it?
    in a specifically formulated, convenient form, with a good dose of water to boot.
    I'm sure that Endurox provides no real advantage over a nice little meal, but when you don't have your grill for the chicken breast handy, it works better than nothing by a lot, and as well as much else.
    I like the stuff, and think it works well for immediate post-ride where I either am holding out for a meal or for some other reason where the convenience matters.

slyjackson
    Thanks to everyone here with their response. All information provided is much appreciated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

RECOVERY mixes

Quote Originally Posted by bauerb
    every time the subject of supplements(of any sort) comes up, someone always responds: just eat food. pills, drinks, bars - no, milk, fruit, nuts - yes. ok, so on my next ride, instead of a tidy packet of gel, and water bottle of mix, I think I will bring: chocolate milk, bananas, yogurt, and maybe a small planter of wheat grass. sounds alot easier...,I just need to make sure that I am hitting the fruit and dairy stand at the market everyday.

obviously whole foods are the basics of good nutrition. I disagree that they are the only appropriate option in all scenarios
    Well, thanks for the sarcasm, but the OP specifically asked about RECOVERY nutrition. Even with that said, you can easily eat fruit bars and salted mixed nuts on the bike in all but the most extreme conditions of maximum effort. If your entire ride is at your LT, then yes, drinks and gels are probably the answer. For the other 99%, you can save your money and keep your taste buds happier. There's nothing WRONG with gels and drinks, just that they are hyped and over priced.

RoadBikeReview Member

Hillen nailed it...

Right on the nose, buddy. That was such an excellent, clear explanation. Well done! Man, I love accuracy.

I read something recently about eating a well-balanced meal within an hour of a longer bike ride to maximize recovery. Something with a good amount of protein. Being a vegetarian I usually make it a double veggie burger. Mmmmm...

And since Hillen brought it up, I will say that I too love Gu2O. Plenty of carbs (some simple, some not), not too sweet, and not too overpowering flavor. Mango is the best, me say. Someone described the flavor as "barely there". Pretty accurate. Combine Gu2O with something that has more simple carbs like Sport Beans or Shot Blocks and you're good to go. If I'm not mistaken, we humans roughly process 1 gram of carbs per minute, so I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) you don't want to overdo the carb intake or you end up with a gut bomb, and we all know that feeling. However, I did read something recently about the body being able to more efficiently process carbs from different sources, like maltodextrin and glucose, and that the metabolization rate of these combined carbes is higher than carbs from a single source, or in a single form, I should say.

Whatever. Excellent discussion.