RoadBikeReview Member

Anyone use full finger gloves?

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm?pID=92

I've been using the cut offs, but now since winter is around the corner, I've been looking at the full finger, which, btw, I think is better looking.

12 strings, no waiting
    If you plan on riding through the winter, you'll need them. I have a bunch of different types. Some are heavy and some are light. Some are windproof and some are waterproof. What I wear depends on the conditions at the time and what I expect. For instance, when I mountain bike in the rain and cold, and I know there will be a long, freezing descent, I'll stick my neoprene gloves in my Camelbak so I can wear them for that section of the ride. Sometimes in spring, I start rides with long finger gloves but bring short finger gloves because I know it will warm up. Or just the opposite if we ride to the coast on a summer day, because if it's foggy out there, it gets cold.

Over the last 10 years of road riding, I've acquired a lot of clothing that gets me through just about any situation I will encounter. Once you have the proper gear, there are no more excuses, regardless of weather.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

What he said

All different weights of clothes, gloves and sox.
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.

RoadBikeReview Member
    People seriously consider the weight of the glove?

In that case, they should take a good **** and execute an enema to make sure u get as many grams of **** out for a lighter ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    i think weight refers to density of the fabric not so much mass of the glove (a la "will this glove ventilate well in the heat?...")

i wear full fingers to protect my hands as best i can. shredded my fingers in an accident once, not going to do that again.

breaking out the elbow/knee/wrist pads for next year.
    Last edited by nwilkes; 08-29-2005 at 09:27 AM.

Daylight Fading

No excuses? I got plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    If you plan on riding through the winter, you'll need them. I have a bunch of different types. Some are heavy and some are light. Some are windproof and some are waterproof. What I wear depends on the conditions at the time and what I expect. For instance, when I mountain bike in the rain and cold, and I know there will be a long, freezing descent, I'll stick my neoprene gloves in my Camelbak so I can wear them for that section of the ride. Sometimes in spring, I start rides with long finger gloves but bring short finger gloves because I know it will warm up. Or just the opposite if we ride to the coast on a summer day, because if it's foggy out there, it gets cold.

Over the last 10 years of road riding, I've acquired a lot of clothing that gets me through just about any situation I will encounter. Once you have the proper gear, there are no more excuses, regardless of weather.
    Hey, now, I take exeption to your last sentence. I find plenty of excuses with the New England weather. I literally can't ride some days, though the studded tires on my MTB have elimated even more excuses!

BT
    "If dreams are like movies, then memories are films about ghosts." A. Duritz

A Canadian in Sweden
    I have a light pair of fleece gloves for short trips and cool weather riding. Neoprene paddling gloves for cold and rainy rides. And carpenter gloves when I ride my son to daycare.
    Cheers, Wayne
    Albert (5 years old) to Uncle Peter (family friend): "Why don't we play another card game, something you can win at."

Moderatus Puisne
    One 60-mile ride in mid 50's, rainy weather with short finger gloves taught me. I had to blow on my fingers for a few minutes before I could even unlock my door when I got home.

There are heavy, "winter" ones that are more bulky than I care to bother with, lightweight "MTB / BMX" style full finger gloves that don't provide much more warmth than a cut-off style .... my favs just have a windblocking material on the backs of the hands and tops of the fingers.

BTW, "waterproof" gloves are a joke for serious training. At least for me, they just get disgusting and full of sweat; feels like riding in those yellow dish gloves. Breathable is more important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I only ride w/ full-finger gloves. Even when it's 100 F here. I just like the protection that the gloves offer, and to me they're more comfortable.

Old, slow, and fat.

What he said.

I like my PI Lobster Claws for deep winter and their lighter weight gloves for pretty much any other cool/cold day.

I ride summerweight full-fingered gloves pretty regularly during the season. Any time I think there's a significant chance of me going down: group rides, track racing, crits, etc. I LIKE having fingers...

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Here's an excuse

Once you have the proper gear, there are no more excuses, regardless of weather.
    A couple of years ago, we had -22 F (-30C) with wind and drifting snow. I commuted to work, but was pretty well frozen to the core by the time I got there (15 minute commute). How is your "no excuses" winter equipment going to handle those conditions?

12 strings, no waiting
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    A couple of years ago, we had -22 F (-30C) with wind and drifting snow. I commuted to work, but was pretty well frozen to the core by the time I got there (15 minute commute). How is your "no excuses" winter equipment going to handle those conditions?
    Hey, you can always move. All you've given me is another excuse! My gear works pretty well for Northern California. It's not my fault you chose to live at the North Pole.

mercierfils

Greetings from the North Pole

Hey, you can always move. All you've given me is another excuse! My gear works pretty well for Northern California. It's not my fault you chose to live at the North Pole.
    Mrs. Klaus and I wanted to point out to you that, while we here in "Upstate" New York lack your exotic earthquakes, mudslides, tornadoes, wildfires, floods, or hurricanes, our "bad" weather is a multi-billion-dollar-per-year recreation industry. I'll be bringing spinning class coupons to all the good boys and girls this year.

I'm watching.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm one of those oddities too. I always ride with full fingered. I use Azonic Smoothies ( no longer made, but I bought 3 pairs for $10 on sale since I liked them so much). Strangely, my hands don't get hot in the height of summer, and don't get too cold until the really cold weather.

Admittedly after a while they stink to high heaven, but so does everybody elses half finger gloves too, so I don't attribute that to full fingers. I too, feel comfortable in them and like the thought of the small protection they offer.

I used to use half finger gloves -but found they would ride up between my fingers after a while, becoming painful. I just sort of graduated to full fingers after trying various pairs and one xmas my wife got me the Azonic Smoothies as a stocking stuffer -after that I never looked back..... I still use those same gloves 5-6 years later, so they were *very* well made!

I do notice I hardly ever see anyone at any rides wear full finger gloves. But I can't go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomakit
    I only ride w/ full-finger gloves. Even when it's 100 F here. I just like the protection that the gloves offer, and to me they're more comfortable.
    Fight Cystic Fibrosis: http://www.cycleforhaylee.org
    http://www.cff.org

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyy
    I'm one of those oddities too. I always ride with full fingered. I use Azonic Smoothies ( no longer made, but I bought 3 pairs for $10 on sale since I liked them so much). Strangely, my hands don't get hot in the height of summer, and don't get too cold until the really cold weather.
    I use Fox Inclines - another no-frills glove that I bought two pairs of a few years ago.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is minute, but a lack of a tan line on the finger portion is nice..........

Government Mule
    Quote Originally Posted by BATMAN
    This is minute, but a lack of a tan line on the finger portion is nice..........
    When my half finger gloves started to fray I cut across the ends with pinking shears. I have a tan line that really impresses folks now.
    I'll give you my Vincent to ride...

RoadBikeReview Member
    now, that's hard core.