RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011

Anyone using Tacx Tao Light Bottle Cages?

Anyone have any experience using Tacx Tao light (all plastic) bottle cages? I like their look but the plastic seems very rigid and I was wondering if anyone had durability issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a friend who bought a set because they were lightweight and cheap, they BOTH broke during the first season of use. The plastic mount broke where the screw goes through to hold it to the frame on both cages. There are better cages, if want a decent but cheap cage first thing is to stay away from aluminium cages, they mar the bottles and after repeated bending from bottle use they will fail in about 3 seasons. Second, Elite Custom Race Cage is on sale at Amazon for less then $20 and it weighs 40 grams Amazon.com: Elite Custom Race Bicycle Water Bottle Cage: Sports & Outdoors.

If you want something lighter then you're going to have to pay more obviously. But heavier stronger cages will hold larger bottles much more securely. I have several brands of cages and the Elite Custom Race, Bontrager RL, and Chris King Stainless all will hold my heavy 24 ounce Polar bottles. There are other cages besides the ones I have that can do the same thing but you have to know the cage.