Inching to 1000 (again)

Anyone wearing a Gill Adrenaline Jacket?

I was in my local PB shop looking for a cool/cold weather jacket and found a Gill Adrenaline on the rack, which I bought. I liked it a lot because it fit my frame (6'4", 170lbs., 37" sleeve). Most of the other jackets that fit my shoulders were too short in the torso. The front of a Gore was above my navel. Larger sizes are too baggie.

After doing some online research I found that this jacket is marketed as a waterproof rain jacket. According to the company, it's designated waterproof because it has taped seams. The jacket is made from eVENT 3 material, which they claim is very breathable, has pit zips and weighs 380 grams. It's a bit more substantial than a shell and would be a tight fit stuffed into a jersey pocket.

Is this jacket a good choice for riding in 30-45 F degree temperatures? Will I get too, warm? Since I never interentionally ride in the rain the waterproof features are less iof a consideration.

Thanks for any feedback.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Chance
    I was in my local PB shop looking for a cool/cold weather jacket and found a Gill Adrenaline on the rack, which I bought. I liked it a lot because it fit my frame (6'4", 170lbs., 37" sleeve). Most of the other jackets that fit my shoulders were too short in the torso. The front of a Gore was above my navel. Larger sizes are too baggie.

After doing some online research I found that this jacket is marketed as a waterproof rain jacket. According to the company, it's designated waterproof because it has taped seams. The jacket is made from eVENT 3 material, which they claim is very breathable, has pit zips and weighs 380 grams. It's a bit more substantial than a shell and would be a tight fit stuffed into a jersey pocket.

Is this jacket a good choice for riding in 30-45 F degree temperatures? Will I get too, warm? Since I never interentionally ride in the rain the waterproof features are less iof a consideration.

Thanks for any feedback.
    I have one of these jackets. I bought it primarily for riding in the rain, and it's great for this purpose -- eVENT really is far more breathable than Gore-Tex, and the pit zips help vent if you're really sweating. I don't know if the jacket will be very useful at the upper end of your temperature range (personally, I would just wear a tight-fitting insulating layer at 45 degrees), but I think it would serve as a decent windbreaker at the lower end.

The main reason to get a jacket like this is for rain. In general I wouldn't recommend a waterproof jacket for normal (non-rain) use, because even the best of them won't breathe as well as a non-waterproof fabrics, so you'll get more sweat/water buildup. But at the colder end of the range (30 degrees), sweat might not be a big concern. For biking in very cold conditions, it is actually an advantage that the membrane in a WP jacket completely blocks wind (a regular nylon shell will let some air pass through).

Hope that helps...

Inching to 1000 (again)

Yes it does help

Winstonc,

Thank you for your reply. This jacket probably isn't ideal for my needs, but it fits. I agree that it is probably overkill for temperatures above 40 F. I usually just wear a ss base t-shirt, ss jersey, arm & leg warmers and a ss nylon pull over when I ride in the lower 40s. I will have to give this some more thought and perhaps take it out for a ride. The clerk at PB said I could return it if I wasn't happy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Good jacket, but don't crash in it like I did cause it seems to tear easily.

Another small minus is that it stains easily. I went mountain biking in it, got muddy, and spent some time afterwards at home scrubbing the dirt out.