RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

arm warmer and thin tights recommendations

I am looking to buy some arm warmers. Any brand suggestions? Sizing seems to be a bit of a crap shoot. I wear a 34-35" sleeve in a dress shirt, so I am thinking XL. Does that sound right?

I have a nice pair of PI Thermafleece bibs for cold days but want some thin tights for cool days. I have pair from Nashbar but they stink. The grip at the ankle did a good job of removing all the hair on the front side of my ankle on a 20 mile ride. What do you like for a thin pair of tights (without a chamois)

Thanks

Nov 2007
    All can do is chime in and say that I don't like the PI Quest tights.
    They're slippery and I feel like I'm sliding out of the saddle.
    They also get caught on the nose of the saddle a lot. Most annoying.

Don't mean to hi-jack your thread but...
    It seems illogical to me, but I see people wearing there tights under their shorts.
    Isn't the padding in the shorts supposed to be against the skin?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Shorts should be worn under the tights. Unless the tights have a pad, then you can go commando.

Arm/Leg warmers are all about the same. Its just a tube of insulated lycra. Go to your LBS and buy a pair that fits.

duh...
    defeet armskins

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I have a pair of Under Armour cold gear tights that I'm happy with. At $50, they're a lot cheaper than a lot of "cycling specific" tights. I've used them from the high 30s to the high 50s and wasn't too cold or warm. I would expect them to be reasonably comfortable down to the mid or low 30s depending on what else you're wearing.

waterproof*
    Yeah sizing is a problem with armwarmers b/c everybodys arms are different. I usually just wear a jacket or l/s jersey if it's cool enough for armwarmers.

For thin tights, I wear legwarmers or kneewarmers. 1 layer of lycra, maybe with some sort of "brushed" texture on the inside, gripper elastic. I recommend buying from your LBS so you can try 'em on and see if they'll stay up on your legs.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    my "lightweight" tights are from Performance; I forget which specific model they are (Century perhaps?), but they're perfect for those days when you want full leg coverage without all the windproofing or brushed fleecey sub-zero protection. iirc they were pretty cheap too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    I have used these http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=truetights for several years from Performance and they have the added bonus of the illuminite material to help you be seen in the dark. I can use them from 35-60, but once I am at 50 I put on my knees warmers from Defeet.

Defeet Wool Arm warmershttp://www.westernbikeworks.com/prod...il.asp?p=DFASW do the job. They are not 100% wool but do the job from 40-60. They keep my arms warm and breath well

If you feel warm they can roll up into you back pocket.

Besides with arm warmers, I can get by with just two Long Sleeve Jerseys.

Rob

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have been using Pearl Izumi Arm and Leg warmers. I like them alot, Easy on / off and great at blocking wind.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    +1 for the Performance tights. I don't like the "Pearls" either. In fact, I don't like any of their clothes. To my pleasant surprise, Performance arm warmers are also very nice.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

Banned forever.....or not
    Two words............Knee warmers.
    I have two pair. Some heavier PI black ones and some thin Voler ones to match our team shorts. The heavier ones are good for training into the mid 30's and racing into the mid 20's. The thin ones are good for training into the mid 40's and racing into the mid 30's.
    The only time I wear my bib tights is when I'm riding easy in the mid 30's.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Moderatus Puisne
    True that.

I bought a pair of tights when I got into cycling, and they basically sat for two whole years of nothing. I only use 'em these days, because I commute to work in the often rainy, mid 30's dark and don't ride too hard on the trail.

Knee warmers rock.

Oh, and to the poster above who said their tights rip their leg hair off: that is why you shave.

Seriously, of all of the reasons people give to shave, no one seems to say the real reason I started doing it, and carried on last year even though I didn't race last season: Because all of the stretchy and grippy stuff is uncomfortable on leg hair.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCholent
    I have used these http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=truetights for several years from Performance and they have the added bonus of the illuminite material to help you be seen in the dark. I can use them from 35-60, but once I am at 50 I put on my knees warmers from Defeet.

Defeet Wool Arm warmershttp://www.westernbikeworks.com/prod...il.asp?p=DFASW do the job. They are not 100% wool but do the job from 40-60. They keep my arms warm and breath well

If you feel warm they can roll up into you back pocket.

Besides with arm warmers, I can get by with just two Long Sleeve Jerseys.

Rob
    Thanks Rob. I ordered a pair of the Illuminite tights. They did not sound too warm and given that I ride in the dark a lot the Illuminite sounds like just the ticket.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    I have Pearl Izumi arm warmers. They do the job. Don't get em too big or them beeootches slide down. Annoying.

West Virginia Cyclist
    Cannondale's tights are hella thin. Love 'em for 50*F weather that I just don't want to wear shorts in.
    There are cyclists in West Virginia??!! Really? - Check it Out @ WVCYCLING