2 busy workin' 2 hang out

Assos Arm Protectors

http://www.worldcycling.com/merchant...duct_Code=ASAP

Has anyone used these? Got sunburnt the other day and was looking for options other than sunscreen.
    Dictated but not read.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Porter
    http://www.worldcycling.com/merchant...duct_Code=ASAP

Has anyone used these? Got sunburnt the other day and was looking for options other than sunscreen.
    make sure you get the white ones like in the pic and wear no jersey over your bibs.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    I used a borrowed pair last week on some rides in Colorado for that very reason. No sun burn issues so that part worked great. They were okay for me up to the low 80's but would have been too much after that I think.

They have a great cut and are clearly the best arm warmers that I have ever worn. The go on, stay on and don't bunch or bind.

Don't know if I will be buying any but after wearing them on several rides I can see why folks swear by their Assos stuff.
    The legs feed the wolf.

Moderatus Puisne
    Assos stuff is pretty high quality. Haven't tried those ones, though I have a pair of their roubaix warmers, which are the best warmers I've tried...

I also have a pair of Castelli "Hotflex" arm warmers. It is just one thin layer of lycra, and works the same as the ones you mention. A little bit cheaper, I think. I never use 'em, because I essentially don't suburn.

Cycling Boob
    hrmmm sunblock is only 5 bucks and that is useful for about 1-2 years. its a hassle but its more cost effective that way. besides if youre going to put sunblock on your face and legs, might as well put them on your arms

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I'd suggest finding out what the SPF rating is first before buying them. My wife has very fair skin and she needs to used a sun block with a high SPF rating and re-apply it during long rides. Boure makes long sleeved jerseys that are rated at SPF 50:

http://www.boure.com/jerseysmen.html

She has one of the women's jerseys and has used in on a few long and hot centuries.

Misfit Toy
    DeSoto makes arm coolers too, I've never tried them though.

DeSoto
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

Moderatus Puisne
    sunblock is annoying, plus just about all of it only lasts a max of 90 minutes or so - and most, less.

Have you ever seen the actual long-lasting, sweat / water proof blocks, like they make for surfers? They are like toothpaste.

Team American Classic
    Arg...

You should give BullFrog a try. I use their Gel formula here in Florida and it lasts all day. In fact, without soap and water, its not coming off!

The Flash

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Umm, for $40.00 I'll have some of the greasy sunblock, thank you.
    Don't believe everything you think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Say what?

Quote Originally Posted by Argentius
    sunblock is annoying, plus just about all of it only lasts a max of 90 minutes or so - and most, less.
    Izzat so? There's obviously lots of variation between people, but I use Coppertone Sport (and there are many other brands that work as well) for 7 hour bike rides in hot weather and for high altitude skiing on sunny days. It lasts all day, even when I sweat a lot. I know it works because I've gotten a sunburn when not using it, and no sunburn when I use it. To suggest that it lasts only 60 minutes (90 minutes max) is not applicable to most people.

Moderatus Puisne
    Really?

I'm just spitting back what the dermatologists in magazines say, to be honest. I am not sure what research they are using... perhaps, they are more interested in blocking cancer-causing ultraviolet, rather than the tanning kind. I can never remember which is UVA and which is UVB.

I don't really use sunblock as much as I "should," which is to say, nearly at all, since I'm almost impossible to burn once I get a tan on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bullfrog Gel lasts at least 6-7 hours for me, and I am a very big sweater. Even if you protect your arms with the Assos arm protectors, you will need to use sunblock somewhere.

Brian
    TheRoadBike.com

Moderatus Puisne
    yeah, I've heard good things about toothpaste -- I mean, bullfrog's super-sunblock.

I might mess around with it at some point, if I care about the future of my skin. I really don't burn, so I just have to convince myself it's a good idea anyway.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentius
    yeah, I've heard good things about toothpaste -- I mean, bullfrog's super-sunblock.

I might mess around with it at some point, if I care about the future of my skin. I really don't burn, so I just have to convince myself it's a good idea anyway.
    Careful though...Bullfrog will eat through most substances if left on long enough. It totally destroyed my glasses case when the bottle leaked on it.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Team American Classic
    Bullfrog has taken the paint of my car, the leather off my interior and the keys of my laptop. However, I have never gotten a sunburn with it and I am a pasty white boy from Connecticut who lives in Florida and has to go to the dermatologist every 3 months....

the Flash

I am no Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flash
    Arg...

You should give BullFrog a try. I use their Gel formula here in Florida and it lasts all day. In fact, without soap and water, its not coming off!

The Flash
    +1 on the bullfrog!

I used to spend my days swimming and sailing (8+h a day) six days a week. The Bullfrog what the only stuff that stood up to the challenge.

Soap + Water + Wire Brush = Bullfrog remover
    It's not the bike, it's the Engine

Moderatus Puisne
    um. yikes.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Maybe I'll leave that one to the "pasty white boys from Connecticut" and hope that boring old coppertone keeps me from death by melanoma...