Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Assos vs Castelli fit question

I am thinking I would like to try a pair of Castelli free aero bibs, but am not sure what size to get. I am a perfect fit in the Assos Mille medium bibs--anyone know whether that would translate directly to M in Castelli, or L?

TIA

Adventure Seeker
    I'd recommend going up a size. I Have the XL in both the Castelli and Assos. The Assos were much larger. Too large for me. I'm betting you'll like the Castellis more.
    I have a single track mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    The problem with Castelli is that not all of their shorts are consistent sizing. I'm 6'0"/180 lbs and I wear a Large in the Velossimo bibs and they fit very well, but a Large Body Paint bib was too small. Same with the Nero (now discontinued). I haven't tried a Free Aero, so unfortunately I can't be of much help there. Pay close attention to the size charts, though.
    Kestrel Talon Road, Campy 10, Zonda wheels
    Litespeed Firenze, Campy 10, Joe Young Custom Wheels
    Nashbar Generic single speed, Khamsin wheels

RoadBikeReview Member
    Castelli is a lottery. it depends on which piece is made in which third world factory. I gave up on them when I ordered 2 size L shirts and there was a 3 inch difference in armpit width.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the input everyone. I decided to just trust the fit chart, which indicates a M for me. If they're too tight I'm sure realcyclist will exchange them.
    Arguments among misinformed people do not constitute a "debate."
    --Kerry Irons

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."
    --BianchiJoe

Cervelo S3/Dura Ace
    Felt B2Pro/SRAM
    Cannondale CAAD10/105

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I am 5'8 about 165 with a 32 waist and have the Free aeros in XL and the Body paint is large. I like the Free Aero's better. I also have skins compression and fit in a medium.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, my Castellis arrived today. Fine Italian cycling kit made with pride in El Salvador. Construction quality appears very good, regardless of where they were made.

According to their fit chart, especially waist and hip measurments, I am exactly a medium. Leg length and torso fit are perfect but there is more compression on my thighs than I'm used to, certainly more than the Assos and a little more than my DeSotos.

Thinking now that I'll roll with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    Hello.

I have Castelli Endurance size L.
    But it's too little for me. The straps are short, so they stretch and squeeze my gentleman's junk.
    My height is 183cm, weight 68kg. I'm tall and thin.
    Questions:
    1. What size will suit me from Assos (model Equipe s7)?
    2. The straps of Assos will be longer in size M than in Castelli size L?

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamfri View Post
    Hello.

But it's too little for me. The straps are short, so they stretch and squeeze my gentleman's junk.
    Questions:
    1. Medium
    2. The straps are supposed to be tight, not loose, so tight they're almost uncomfortable when standing upright.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can tell you this about Castelli, they definitely run small. My cycling club ordered this year's kit from Castelli. Although an opportunity was provided to physically check out sizing I missed the window of opportunity. Consequently, I bought my regular size 2XL. That size currently fits me perfectly in a variety of quality bibs.

My Castelli's arrived 2XL as ordered. They were at the very least physically one full size too small for fit. They are completely unwearable. I also have some XL bibs in other brands it is my impression their XL are subjectively larger than the Castelli 2XL.

Good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Hello.

Questions:
    I am heavier than you (80 kg), but about the same height (184 cm). I have both Assos and Castelli bib shorts in size XL. The straps on the Castelli are noticeably shorter than the Assos, but I do not find either to be a problem once I'm on the bike. At my height, I would not want to go to a smaller size with either brand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Order the L and the XL in Assos then return which doesn't fit. I wouldn't buy Castelli over Assos but that is just personal preference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    1. Medium
    2. The straps are supposed to be tight, not loose, so tight they're almost uncomfortable when standing upright.
    This is not particularly true of Assos bibs.

I am 5'10"/178cm with a long torso. I wear small bibs in both Assos and Castelli. The Assos fit very slightly larger in the legs, and the bib straps are very very stretchy. I'm positive that even the straps on XS Assos bibs would have plenty of stretch for me. The Castelli bibs are extremely tight in the legs when I first put them on...I have to do a dance basically...the straps are pretty tight.

As for jerseys, I do not seem to be a good fit for Assos smalls. They are very loose in the sleeves and not as tight as I like in the belly. Castelli small jerseys fit me very well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ceugene View Post

I am 5'10"/178cm with a long torso. I wear small bibs in both Assos and Castelli
    I do not know how you manage to wear such a small size!
    I have a jersey of size M Santini (aero), and this is the best I had.
    But the shorts of Castelli in the size of L are small for me. The straps are very tight, and I do not like it when they squeeze my gentleman junk. This is really not what i need. I'm not saying that straps should be weak, but they should not be unpleasant when used.
    Today I again rode in the Chinese shorts (Sobike), and it was not bad. The pad are made horribly, but there is enough room for my gentleman in front. They WITHOUT straps.
    Tomorrow I want to go to Castelli. I will not wear straps specially. To check if it really have a problem ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    I do not know how you manage to wear such a small size!
    I’m 5cm shorter than you and fluctuate between 60-63kg. Anyway the Castelli small bibs are a bit tight, but medium would be a little too loose. Their small jerseys fit me well.

Assos small bibs are loose enough at the leg grippers that they wrinkle slightly, and the straps are very long when stretched. Assos bibs have some of the nicest feeling elastic material I’ve tried, though I am not completely sold on the floating chamois design. It feels weird when you first put it on, but once you’ve gotten on the bike you forget about it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    From this it follows that ... good fit a size M or a size L Assos for me. So?

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Assos
    Assos Bib Shorts are sized primarily from your overall height. Bib straps should pull slightly on your shoulders when stood upright so that when in the crouched riding position the item fits close to the skin without restricting movement.
    That's what they have to say about it.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    That's what they have to say about it.
    You seem to have a knack for posting definitively about topics on which you have no actual expertise.

Below is what real life has to say about it. I took the following photo in April or May of last year because the stretch was so remarkable.

Assos size small. 5'10" 137lbs in that photo. As you can see, I have a fairly long torso and my belly button isn't even in the frame.

So yes, Assos bib straps are insanely stretchy (which is good.) Strap length will almost never be an issue unless you are shaped like an alien or insanely fat. I would fit in an XS if the inseam wasn't too short.
    Last edited by ceugene; 02-14-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Forever a Student
    You're wearing the wrong size. As you eluded to, you should be in size XS.

Saying I have no expertise in Assos clothing is beyond laughable.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    You're wearing the wrong size. As you eluded to, you should be in size XS.

Saying I have no expertise in Assos clothing is beyond laughable.
    Except the inseam on Assos small bibs is already shorter than any competitor’s product, and the inseam on XS would almost be women’s sport briefs territory.

Your’re basically implying that Assos small bibs are made for people around 6’3”

No, the reality is that Assos bibs should be sized according to waist/hip/thigh dimensions because the straps will quite obviously accommodate a wide range of torso lengths.
    Last edited by ceugene; 02-14-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Forever a Student
    You are purposely wearing the wrong size of bib shorts because you don't care for the inseam length.

And then you're claiming to know your **** about that brand and product and telling people to listen to you about it...

Take a step back and think about that for a second. Your telling both me and the manufacturer that we're wrong and that you, the guy wearing the wrong size on purpose, is right.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    I invite you to take a photo of yourself in Assos bibs to prove me wrong.

BTW, you should perhaps look at the Assos size guide again.

Recommendations for size small = <70kg / 175cm or 5’9”
    Recommendations for size XS = <60kg / 170cm or 5’7”

Clearly the small bib straps can handle more than 5’9”...way more. Clearly they can also handle someone who is 5’9” or even 5’8” as well. Sizing should be based on the inseam/leg opening/waist/hip.
    Last edited by ceugene; 02-14-2018 at 06:01 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    No, the reality is that Assos bibs should be sized according to waist/hip/thigh dimensions because the straps will quite obviously accommodate a wide range of torso lengths.
    From the Assos website:

"Assos Bib Shorts are sized primarily from your overal height. Bib straps should pull slightly on your shoulders when stood upright so that when in the crouched riding position the item fits close to the skin without restricting movement."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    From the Assos website:

"Assos Bib Shorts are sized primarily from your overal height. Bib straps should pull slightly on your shoulders when stood upright so that when in the crouched riding position the item fits close to the skin without restricting movement."
    But the reality of the situation is that inseam/hip/waist/leg-opening is going to be the limiting factor because the straps can accommodate around 8 inches in height difference.

I’m 178cm/70in and I have 5.5in extra strap on a pair of bib shorts supposdely meant for people between 168-175cm/67-68.8in. Someone who is 68kg, 184cm would probably fit the long inseam version of size small Assos bibs. I would fit the long inseam version of their XS bibs despite their sizing guidance.

You honestly have to be a shape instead of in-shape for the height-based size suggestions to work out.

Last edited by ceugene; 02-14-2018 at 08:25 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    To the new OP.
    I am 179 cm tall and weigh 70 kilos. I wear XL Castelli bibs. I can wear L Castelli but, like you, the shorter straps crush my junk. I wear Castelli L in their race fit jerseys.

For Assos I am between size M and L in Equipe bibs. I can wear both sizes. So I have both sizes.

The Equipe "pouch" works well for junk comfort. The Mille version lacks this pouch so in M they can be snuggish down there. Still they are ok, just not as good as the Equipe.
    Last edited by Sumguy1; 02-14-2018 at 11:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast