RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

B17 VS. B67 VS. Specialized with cutout

I have had this B17 two years now, and only thing I haven't tried is soaking it in oil,,,,,I can't seem to get it to "break in" ie "be comfortable" for me.

I have been thinking about getting a B67, and stopped by a LBS today (nobody in town has Brooks in stock),,,,,this LBS is a Specialized dealer and I came home with a Sonoma Sport seat from Specialized---it has a cutout, but I only went on a short ride as it was windy and cold out.

They did measure be for a 155 seat, not sure if thats why the B17 isn't comfortable for me, and the will have MANY more Specialized seats out soon (couple/few weeks)

Faced with a situation like this what direction might you start going?

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Have you been riding the B17 for two years? Not just staring at it hatefully, torturing it with patent medicines and snake oil? If so, you've given Mr. Brooks more chances than a misunderstood juvenile delinquent in front of a liberal judge. Give it the old heave-ho. If the Specialized dealer is up for it (like my local dealer is), get on the different-saddle-each-week gravy train and stop when you've hit the jackpot.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I am trying to figure out the "need a seat with relief slot" vs "solid" seat debate first, but am really tempted to try the soak in oil before giving up theory also.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by acs55812
    I am trying to figure out the "need a seat with relief slot" vs "solid" seat debate first, but am really tempted to try the soak in oil before giving up theory also.
    Well, I come down hard on the 'pro-relief slot' side of the argument after one of the more miserable aspects of my brief, yet painful, flirtation with a Trak Mad-One 6.point something.

The Bontrager saddle, without relief slot, played havoc with several issues that I'm sure you don't want me to discuss in depth. Was soon back on my Selle Italia with slot, and staying there.

Brooks saddles? Okay, it's a long while ago, but when I did cycling seriously, plastic hadn't been invented and dead cow skin over a massive steel frame by Mr Brooks ruled the roost. Around the late 1960's, someone came up with the idea of importing plastic saddles into England and even though most of us were not exactly well off, let alone wealthy, if you wanted a Brooks, all you had to do was ask around the local roadies and someone would throw one at you.

Even though my first plastic saddle cost me a week's wages and was soon covered in thin sponge rubber (padding) and some simulated leathercloth (anti-slippage), it was still way more comfortable than a Brooks and I see no reason to check out if the 40 year interval has changed much in that area...

However - there is only one bad saddle - it's the one you're sitting on and passionately hate.

D

RoadBikeReview Member
    Saddles are difficult.

Some folks love brooks saddles- for me they're comfortable right out of the box. Some folks love fizik airones- for me, they were like ass hatchets.

Best you can do is find a bike shop that will let you test saddles so you can find the one you really like.

One piece of advice- if you find one you really, really love, one that fits like no other, buy several. You never know how long it will be until someone decides to "improve" your favorite design.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I hear this advice all the time...just don't get it.
    95% of seat comfort issues are related to proper saddle position (height/fore-aft) and sitting properly (which is often tied into proper saddle position) on the saddle.
    "Finding" the perfect saddle is just happenstance of putting that saddle in the proper position.
    Any saddle is a ass-hatchet if it's too high nosed down or your reach to the bars is too much.
    I'm just sayin, think outside of the saddle itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotophage
    Saddles are difficult....
    One piece of advice- if you find one you really, really love, one that fits like no other, buy several. You never know how long it will be until someone decides to "improve" your favorite design.
    Last edited by Trouble; 03-25-2011 at 01:44 PM.
    - The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large -
    08 iMac 24"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    If they measured you for a 155 that means you have a pretty wide pelvis, and no matter what you do to a B17 or how good your position is it's going to hurt because it's wedging itself right in your soft tissue between your sit bones, and not on them. The "ass hatchet" feeling with the arione is a common one for the same reason, it only works well for people with a narrower sit bone width. When looking at a Brooks (or other similarly designed saddles) do not look at the maximum width. With most modern saddles they are at their widest at the point your sit bones are supposed to rest so max width is a good measure. However on these saddles they are only wide at the very end which is not where you are supposed to sit. The functional width of the B17 is much narrower than 151mm, its more like 130mm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    I have a Sonoma Gel which I don't think is made any longer. I also like the Selle SMP TRK which is rated as 160mm. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=23428
    It rides much better than it looks and has a huge cut out. Warning the finish is very plasticy but if you like the style the better trimmed models are very expensive.
    I also like my B17 with shorts but all my saddles are generally listed as trecking ones. Bear in mind that the more upright you generally sit on your bike the wider the saddle you'll prefer. Good luck with your quest.