Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Back to Back Century Rides, Back to Back Near Death Experiences

3K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  seacoaster 
#1 ·
100 miles yesterday, 105 today. On yesterday's ride, some clown at an intersection I was cruising through decided to take off without looking right, in the direction from which I was coming. I powered up a bit and my rear tire just missed getting whacked by his bumper.

Continued on, shaking my head.

Today, a similar episode. I tearing down a hill, and some moron decides to back out from the autobody repair shop, right out into oncoming traffic and into my path. I was able to swerve just enough to avoid him backing over me.

Continued on, shaking my head.

What the hell is it with drivers, anyway? It's a clear autumn day, on both counts, and people act like they're driving through a freaking fog.

Perhaps I should pick up one of those Road ID things.

At least that way they can more easily contact mom and pops in the event I'm looking somewhere else when the next jagoff comes barreling my way.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sometimes it's easy to NOT see a cyclist when your driving/backing up a car. That why it's ultimately your responsibility to anticipate the majority of those situations. Granted not all can be avoided as humans are far from perfect. After riding in a large city for years, I've come to the conclusion that the majority of incidents are caused by cyclist not following the rules of the road or motorist assuming cyclist don't have to follow the rules of the road by watching us constantly blowing through stop signs, etc...

#5 ·
I wear a Road ID.
Yesterday I had a guy speed past me so he could cut me off and turn into a strip mall driveway. This happens to all of us.
I was about 49 miles into my ride and got a bit peeved.
I pulled into the next driveway and rode up to the guy as he was walking into Dunkin Donuts. No kidding.
Rather than start yelling and swearing I calmly told him that I have a wife and two children, that my bike and I weigh less than 200 lbs and he's driving a 3,000 lb car. I said that maybe next time he could slow down and just pull in behind me. The guy simply said, "I apologize." I said have a nice day and went on my way. Hopefully he pays attention next time he comes up on a cyclist.

#8 ·
Idk if I just don't remember insane driving I saw six months ago... I've began driving my car more again, and I'm seeing absolutely insanely worse driving much more often. Maybe it only seems like it, but I get road raged against my CAR - not my bicycle - up to several times driving just a 10 mile stretch on the highway. Like, is there some bad weed or new drug going around?

#9 ·
One thing to get across to motorists is that cyclists aren't angry people; it's normal to have an extreme reaction when you feel your life has been threatened. It's the flight or fight response.

This should be distinguished from a-hole fatigue, in which the patience of a cyclist gets worn out by continually having to put up with motorists that drive without due care and caution. The resulting outbursts are understandable, but not defensible, and therefore require an attitude adjustment on the part of the annoyed cyclist: Bad drivers come with the territory, so we should expect and accommodate so they don't ruin our ride.

But Road ID is a great thing just in case the drivers ruin our ride to the point we cannot pick ourselves up off the ground.

#11 ·
One man's near death experience is another's fortunate non-event, I guess! Inadvertence or not seeing me is just part of being out on the road, IMO. Intentional conduct toward me (which happens very, very infrequently) is another. But if they are doing the best they can and just didn't see me, well, that's life (on a bike or in a car!).

Some people seem more touchy about this. A new guy joined me and a couple friends for a ride a few weeks back. When we stopped for a break, he was so fired up about this and "did you see that" and "I can't believe people..." Honestly, I hadn't noticed anything too objectionable or unusual, but it was like he was looking for things to be ticked about and was keeping score! We haven't called him to ride since. It would be too stressful to ride that way. I'm usually in the "you whine like a mule; you're still alive" camp.

(yes, that was a quote from Robin Hood. Kevin Costner rules...).

#13 ·
One man's near death experience is another's fortunate non-event, I guess!
That could be so, but there are other factors as well that might explain your friend's behaviour.

If it's a near-death experience, usually for me, for a significant time during the incident, it may be only for a second or two, I've had the feeling I won't be able to avoid a collision, and the speed and trajectories are potentially lethal.

There's a difference between that and an incident in which I feel in control but, intentionally or not, am being forced to brake, move, or to get off the road.

Some might see the latter as being bullied, and depending on their life experience that could possibly result in a strong reaction.

#19 ·
Same thing. I see bad drivers alllll the time during my commute, which is mostly highway. It's amazing what people will do when merging or talking on the cell phone.

I've only been riding about a year now and I've had plenty of close calls with vehicles. I ride through Arlington, VA on occasion and even with the slow speeds in the city, I've been nearly hit there more than anywhere else.

Riding in the bike lane at about the speed of traffic, a dumbass cabbie sped up to pass me, then immediately cut right in front of me to pick up someone on the sidewalk. I had to nail the brakes to keep from slamming into the back of his car. I 'expressed my dissatisfaction' with his driving quite loudly, and the girls he was picking up actually apologized to me, which I thought was nice.

Just before that I was sitting at a multi-way intersection behind the lead car and all the way to the right near the curb. Light turns green and the car slooooowwwllly starts moving and turning right, without a signal of course. I'm anticipating him going right so I start to speed up. Nope, dude brakes and makes a near u-turn (to the right!) down a side road, going the wrong way on a one-way street! Again had to hit the brakes hard, nearly tapped his bumper and nearly went down.

I just can't imagine how stupid people are around cyclists, even when I can clearly tell that they see me. I definitely agree with the 'passing on the crest of a blind hill and around blind curves', that happens nearly every time I ride.

#21 ·
What the hell is it with drivers, anyway? It's a clear autumn day, on both counts, and people act like they're driving through a freaking fog.
Well known phenomenon: you tend to see what you are looking for. If you're not looking for bicycles when entering traffic, you are likely to not see them. Unfortunately, there were people operating those motor vehicles.

I was on a ride once, I happened to pass a strip mall when my mother and wife, in a car, were exiting the driveway onto the road. I saw them from a couple hundred yards away and waved at them continuously until I passed them, but they didn't see me until I was right in front of them. They were looking directly at me, and never noticed me until I was wooshing past. They knew that I was on a ride and they knew my approximate route. They were shocked that they had not noticed me.

Yes, it would be lovely if drivers (I include myself) always noticed everything necessary for them to operate their vehicles safely. This will never happen. People are people. It is absolutely the drivers' responsibility to operate their vehicles safely. However, it is also up to us to ride as defensively as possible so that we can (it is to be hoped) avoid the driver who happens to be having a brain f@rt at just the wrong place and time.

-----------------------

#22 ·
People are people. It is absolutely the drivers' responsibility to operate their vehicles safely. However, it is also up to us to ride as defensively as possible so that we can (it is to be hoped) avoid the driver who happens to be having a brain f@rt at just the wrong place and time.-
agreed.
I wasn't very cognizant of cyclists on the road until I became one.

#23 ·
I think every bicyclist should have to have an endorsement on their license saying that they have taken a bicycle safety course like motorcyclists are required to do to legally operate on the highway. Then they would know what driving/riding defensively means. You may have learned it in driver's education but that was too long ago.

In the situation where you are driving down the road and see a motorist getting ready to back unto the highway, you should be driving defensively. If no traffic is coming behind you get as far to the left as possible away from the car to give you as much distance away from the vehicle as possible. If traffic is behind you, then slow down so that you can safely stop if the driver does pull out in front of you. A CPA that I used to work with back his car out of his driveway onto a state highway, right in front of a triaxle dump truck. He was killed instantly and the truck was a lot more visible than you are.

The right hook is hard to avoid if you are stopped at an intersection but there are normal precautions in that instance also.

Quit crying about how others are driving their cars and start riding defensively. You should do that in a car also. You are the best defense against others mistakes.

#24 ·
Be visible

Not to excuse the drivers, but it's really important to maintain visibility when riding in traffic. The shadows this time of year can make it very difficult to see cyclists. I see sooooo many cyclists wearing dark jerseys - what are they thinking? Hi viz clothing and blinkies in the front can help.

OP - you weren't blowing through red lights or riding against traffic this time, were you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.