RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018

Back on the bike after 25 years!

Hi all! First time poster here. Originally, I was looking to buy a mountain bike to get back into riding, but instead dusted off my vintage 1987 Cannondale SR500 road bike which I bought new 31 years ago. I road it for about six years, then got into other hobbies, and hung it up for 25 years.

Cleaned it up, lubed it, made some minor adjustments, and been riding it for the last several days. It is working great, and I am having a blast, although the hills are killing me, but it is getting better!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi Pilot and welcome back to this wonderful sport!

A few things to look at specifically if you haven't touched that bike for 25 years. If that chain has any rust on it, replace it. Check your tires carefully for cracks (dry rot). If you see any replace them. Other than that, it sounds like you're good to go!

If this is the first ride in 25 years, sure the hills will kill you! Keep riding those hills and they will get easier!

All the best!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Hi Pilot and welcome back to this wonderful sport!

A few things to look at specifically if you haven't touched that bike for 25 years. If that chain has any rust on it, replace it. Check your tires carefully for cracks (dry rot). If you see any replace them. Other than that, it sounds like you're good to go!

If this is the first ride in 25 years, sure the hills will kill you! Keep riding those hills and they will get easier!

All the best!
    Thanks! No dry rot on the tires, and the chain is in good shape. I do plan to get new tires, and tubes very soon, as I don't want flats or worse, even though I do carry a spare tube, and tools.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I was going to say replace the tires regardless. They've been sitting for 25 years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    I was going to say replace the tires regardless. They've been sitting for 25 years.
    Absolutely! Going out today to pick some up at my LBS!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Could be the hills are tough because back then the gearing wasn't very low, I had the same bike and stock it was very tall geared.
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    I wish I kept my first road bike that I purchased 25 years ago.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    welcome back brother!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I had a seven speed Cannondale R400 years ago. Had the '3.0' frame. Probably the most uncomfortable bike I ever owned.

a real member's member
    a bike that hasn't heen ridden in 25 years needs a full overhaul. it's easy, and, with a few tools, you can do it yourself.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    a bike that hasn't heen ridden in 25 years needs a full overhaul. it's easy, and, with a few tools, you can do it yourself.
    I hear you. I will do it gradually though. It was well stored, and is riding great. I am replacing the tires and tubes today. I will get to the Bottom Bracket, cables, derailleurs, etc., over the summer. Everything is working as it should, however, smoothly, and so far reliably.

jkc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I would also, and did, change the brake pads. Mine was basically set aside for 23 years before I got started again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Welcome back! By the way simply FYI. The road isn't any harder than it was 25 years ago. But should you have the misfortune to fall or crash onto the payment your body will swear to you the roads today are much harder than they were 25 years ago!

Be safe!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    ^^^^^^^Thanks guy. Yes, I will try to keep my body off the road, as I don't want to test your theory which I am sure is fact!