Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015

Bad batch of Conti GP4000SII's?

Looking back at my maintenance log, I get about 1,500 miles out of a rear but my last 3 have lasted 300-500 before getting a slice. This could just be really unlucky but someone I know suggested that it could have been a bad batch of tires. Anyone else experience this lately (or in the last year or two since I think I bought these a year or two ago)?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisthebeave View Post
    Looking back at my maintenance log, I get about 1,500 miles out of a rear but my last 3 have lasted 300-500 before getting a slice. This could just be really unlucky but someone I know suggested that it could have been a bad batch of tires. Anyone else experience this lately (or in the last year or two since I think I bought these a year or two ago)?
    I've 8-10 GP 4000S II 28mm tyres, with 3 sets on 3 of my main riding/training bikes, purchased ~8-11 months ago, and I have not had to touch any of them since nor have I had to replace any of them. Each set on the 3 bikes probably has ~3000-3200 miles on them, and they still look good despite the beating they take on these Belgian roads. Hope I am not jinxing myself here.

Hope you find out what is happening with yours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Why is this thread done every three months is what I wanna know?

They sell a butttload if gp4ks and one guy has a bad tire and boom, nother thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    as another data point, currently have 4100 miles on the rear, and 9800 on the front.

neither tire is close to being retired based on the wear indicators.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    was just a thread on this like 2 weeks ago.

I wasn't having touble with these tires, even ut on 4500kms on them last year.

then this year my tire got sliced up on a wooden bridge, and I flatted. When I inspected the tire it had many cuts, and under 1000kms this year. but the front is like 3 years old

I am trying a Speclzd tire now instead. Maybe you're right, it is a bad batch this season for this Conti tire model??
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:11 PM.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post

They sell a butttload if gp4ks and one guy has a bad tire and boom, nother thread.
    Read the thread, 3 tires in a row have lasted 500 miles at best when all my previous ones have lasted much longer (I got 4,000 as a front and another 2,000 miles as a rear out of one). The last one lasted 278 miles. It's either really bad luck or something else.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Camps are divided on that tire. Do a search on line. Copious reports of the GP4000II side wall slicing. Not just a bad batch.
    Others report they love them because the tire has lower rolling resistance and supple carcass, latter likely being the issue.

To me, the GP4000II which is targeted to be an all arounder training tire, has poorer durability than some race tires without as good rolling resistance. Why ride it in other words? But, some love 'em because they haven't experienced the slicing issue and for a training tire, are fast.

You have to decide for yourself based upon personal experience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Read the thread, 3 tires in a row have lasted 500 miles at best when all my previous ones have lasted much longer (I got 4,000 as a front and another 2,000 miles as a rear out of one). The last one lasted 278 miles. It's either really bad luck or something else.
    Where did you buy the tire if you don't mind me asking? Have heard over the years of knockoffs but, have no knowledge. Wonder if that is a possibility...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    was just a thread on this like 2 weeks ago.

yeah, in summary everyone agrees that they slice easy if you use disc brakes but are fine with rim brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Camps are divided on that tire. Do a search on line. Copious reports of the GP4000II side wall slicing. Not just a bad batch.
    Others report they love them because the tire has lower rolling resistance and supple carcass, latter likely being the issue.

To me, the GP4000II which is targeted to be an all arounder training tire, has poorer durability than some race tires without as good rolling resistance. Why ride it in other words? But, some love 'em because they haven't experienced the slicing issue and for a training tire, are fast.

You have to decide for yourself based upon personal experience.
    What tires have better durability and rolling resistance? Honestly want to know.

I've used them for years and only recently had issues, that's why I asked. It's never a sidewall slice, always the tread, and I'm riding the same roads I always have.
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    Where did you buy the tire if you don't mind me asking? Have heard over the years of knockoffs but, have no knowledge. Wonder if that is a possibility...
    Merlin Cycles, they often have them $70 for a pair with 2 free tubes

RoadBikeReview Member
    What tires have better durability and rolling resistance? Honestly want to know.

I've used them for years and only recently had issues, that's why I asked. It's never a sidewall slice, always the tread, and I'm riding the same roads I always have.

Merlin Cycles, they often have them $70 for a pair with 2 free tubes
    Beave,
    Vittoria Corsas aren't known for sidewalls slicing.

Have a look:
    https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...-graphene-2016

Notice the difference in tire weight and sidewall thickness and rolling resistance is about a push at higher psi.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    First, there is a Wheels and Tires forum. Second, it is more likely that construction activity (or something else that increases your road litter) has changed your riding environment. A slice is a slice and is caused by external factors, not by something "inside" the tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    One more data point, I got two sidewall cuts in one summer on the GP4Ksii. Separate incidents, both ride ending. Haven't cut any tire before or since (knock wood). Haven't gone back to the Contis.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Stop riding your wheels through a bunch of crap all the time and you'll most certainly experience less sidewall issues.

The people that never have this problem are also the people that look where they're riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Seeing all these threads about Conti GP4Ks and sidewall cuts previously led me to wonder whether there is something valid here or it's just a matter of numbers - a widely sold, widely used product will have more complaints.

As someone who rides with many other riders, I have seen first hand both Conti GP4Ks and Gatorskins fail. Here again, I don't know if this is just problems in numbers or something valid.

11spd mentioned Vittoria Corsas. These are considered to be designed for comfort at all costs. I've never known anybody who had problems with these, but if you read product reviews, there are plenty of complaints about punctures.

Common sense says there is no tire that does everything perfectly. You can't have great comfort, ultra-low rolling resistance and bombproof puncture resistance all in one bundle. Have you seen any unicorns lately?

I recently found a good compromise tire - Vittoria Rubino Pro G+. 1000 miles, no punctures, sidewall cuts or premature wear. They are definitely more comfortable than my Maxxis ReFuses were. Then again, the Maxxis ReFuse is a bombproof tire at the expense of all other qualities, so going to the Rubino Pro G+ was comparatively like riding on pillows.

If you are really concerned about rolling resistance, look at that link again that 11-spd posted. Differences between tires aren't a whole lot. The main balance is comfort vs. durability.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Been using GP4000SII's for years. Never had a slice. Ever.
    Maybe I'm just lucky.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Been using GP4000SII's for years. Never had a slice. Ever.
    Maybe I'm just lucky.
    Maybe. Or maybe you just ride on clean, smooth roads.

As far as those who just say "watch where you're going", yeah, this helps. But sometimes avoiding road hazards isn't possible - especially in traffic. Not to mention in low light or dappled shade, the strobe effect can hide smaller debris in the road.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post

Exactly...yawn.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Maybe. Or maybe you just ride on clean, smooth roads.
    Ha. I wish.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Beave,
    Vittoria Corsas aren't known for sidewalls slicing.
    I had a set of their predecessors (Open Corsa CX III). Least durable tires I've owned and fit real loose on the rim. Best riding tires I've owned though.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    as another data point, currently have 4100 miles on the rear, and 9800 on the front.

neither tire is close to being retired based on the wear indicators.
    9800 miles on the front? Are you doing wheelies most of the time you ride?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    9800 miles on the front? Are you doing wheelies most of the time you ride?
    As I have REPEATEDLY posted, tire wear is due to the transfer of power between the tire and the road, either power from pedaling or power from braking. You can weigh a front tire when new and then after thousands of miles and you will see essentially no weight loss. 9,800 miles on a front tire is not a surprise. It might be crazed, checked and cut, but it won't be losing weigth due to wear.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    As I have REPEATEDLY posted, tire wear is due to the transfer of power between the tire and the road, either power from pedaling or power from braking. You can weigh a front tire when new and then after thousands of miles and you will see essentially no weight loss. 9,800 miles on a front tire is not a surprise. It might be crazed, checked and cut, but it won't be losing weigth due to wear.
    I'm doing something wrong then.

I never got more than 2500 miles out of any GP tires, starting with the 3000 series and ending with the 4000 series, before I finally dumped them for vreds.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    At the risk of being called names, what about a lot of downhill turns?
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    How much weight loss does a worn/rear show?

I don't weigh tires but when you use something with a file pattern like the old Vit Corsa or Veloflex I think the visual evidence of it disappearing is pretty strong. And I've never had one not go bald well before thousands of miles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast