RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Bad day at the office! - 1st ride today

I had my 1st ride today 6.3miles (there and back) but I got 2, YES 2 Punchtures (road bike) but heres my scenario

I took the rim tape out of my rim (was bulging the tube) that was my 1st punchture, so that was fixed

My 2nd one, new tube all done, about 25mins later it goes again, so heres my Q!!

My tyre size is 700 x 28c but when the tube goes in its bigger than the rim for some reason, so should i get 700 x 28 or stick with the 28c

Thanks

I play for keeps
    As we told you in your thread a couple days ago: No Rim Tape = Flats

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    I put the rim tape back in ( when it went 1st time)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    What exactly is your question?

If you have rim tape properly applied and using the right sized tube then it's probably pilot error. Either you're getting the tube caught between the tire and rim when you install and inflate. Or if using an iron your pinching the tube with that. Or when you pump the tire up you are doing it in a way that you are bending the valve stem in a way to to cause a leak at the stem/tire joint.

Recycle King
    Is it safe to assume your wheel is 700x23cc or 700x25cc? If so, the tubes you were using is too big. Go with 700x23 for both of those wheel size. If your wheel is 700x28cc, go with 700x25cc tubes. As locustfist mentioned, always use rim tape. You can pinpoint where the problem is by figuring out where on the tube is the puncture located at. If it's on the stem side, check the wheel to make sure there is no sharp debris in the wheel by running your finger over it. Be careful not to poke yourself if there is debris. If it puncture is on the opposite side, then most likely there is some debris on the inside of the tire or a something poke through the tire and tube.

You can check your tube by inflating it and place it in a sink full of water to see where on the tube the bubbles are coming from.
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner

"Common sense is not too common these days."

"Cheap things have no value, valuable things are not cheap." - Fortune Cookie

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    The tube goes under the tire, and looks to be fine then got down road and punchture, should i go from 28c to 28?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    My tire size is 700 x 28c

Recycle King
    Go with 700x25cc tube and be careful not to inflate it until you check to make sure the tube is fully under the tire. I do this by running my finger all the way around the wheel on both side.
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Would 700 x 25cc not be too small?

Recycle King
    Not after you fully inflate it since it will expand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Ok, well ill call into halfords and get that?

So 700 x 25cc for definite?? Any other sizes if that aint in stock??

Recycle King
    If you get a size smaller than your wheel, you will be fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    So from 700 x 28c is 700 x 25cc just checking mate

Recycle King
    Yes, you will be fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You never described your second puncture. There are several kinds, caused by different things. A recommendation on what to do requires a diagnosis first.
    Eppur si muove.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrunnerLXXI View Post
    Is it safe to assume your wheel is 700x23cc or 700x25cc? If so, the tubes you were using is too big. Go with 700x23 for both of those wheel size. If your wheel is 700x28cc, go with 700x25cc tubes.
    What is all this "cc" stuff? We're not talking cubic centimeters here. 700C is a desgination, just like 650B. See Tire Sizing Systems

And the OP said he had 28 mm tires and was worried that a 25 mm tube was not the right size. As he was advised REPEATEDLY of course the flexible rubber inner tube will easily expand 3 mm. Even a nominal 18 mm tube would work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    If you have a good bike shop I think it would be a good idea for you to go there and make sure your wheel/rim strip/tire/tube are all set up properly. If they offer a class (many do) on basic maintenance, that would also be a good idea.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottma View Post
    If you have a good bike shop I think it would be a good idea for you to go there and make sure your wheel/rim strip/tire/tube are all set up properly. If they offer a class (many do) on basic maintenance, that would also be a good idea.
    +1, I was going to suggest getting a shop to put the tube in and then taking a class.

You can also review some on line videos.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    #1 You're most likely not getting punctures. Punctures are from objects like nails, thorns, glass, etc. You're probably getting flats from lack of rim strip or pinch flats.
    Pinch flats can occur from running too low air pressure, then when you hit a bump...

Or you get pinch flats when installing the tube. If not properly installed, the tube will be pinched between the rim and tire sidewall. Then when inflated it will cause a tear.

#2 You can run tubes which are larger or smaller than your tire size. The problem with larger tubes, is they're harder to install without getting pinch flats.

As Kerry pointed out, no problem to expand smaller tubes 3mm. Take a tube and connect it to your pump and start pumping. You'll quickly see it blow up like a balloon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    It's working
    Name:  troller.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  19.6 KB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamJ View Post
    I put the rim tape back in ( when it went 1st time)
    So you took the rim tape out, put the tube in, pumped the tire up, and put the rim tape in your pocket just in case. When you had the first flat from a "punchture" you had no issues putting the rim tape back on the rim and getting everything together.
    BS - I'm not buying.
    Last edited by mikerp; 04-29-2013 at 11:32 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerp View Post
    It's working
    Name:  troller.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  19.6 KB
    Hahahaha.