Thread: Baggies

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010

Baggies

So how many of you ride baggie shorts? I'm a mountain biker who loves riding my road bike, I refuse to wear lycra (not real baggie - think trim cut) and I wear a small camelback for the road. Heck, I even ride eggbeaters so I don't need a separate pair of shoes. Some of you sniff at this and I do get looks from the fashionistas, I'm just curious how many are out there like me?

Slightly Opinionated
    Ride in lycra bibs. It's the rules. Read them. Love them.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Heck, I don't even wear baggies on my MTB.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am first and foremost a mountain biker.

I did an MS150 road ride with baggies. Biggest mistake of my life. My gooch felt like it went through a cotton gin.

I now ride with Lycra Bibs and will not even consider riding a mile in MTB baggies. Heck for MTB riding I don't wear a chamois anymore, I have a very comfortable saddle and 5.3 inches of travel that I can go hours without feeling hurt.

The eggbeaters aren't a big deal in my opinion. But camelbak and baggies, ehhhhh. I don't ride with a camelbak at all anymore unless I know I will be hours from a car or civilization, which has yet to happen. I much prefer riding with waterbottles, beats having the all that weight on your back. Not to mention for mountain biking it makes it easier to maneuver and hug obstacle with the body.

Wait 'til your try it, you wont go back to baggies. I donated my MTB baggies to goodwill recently, honestly.

Bibs are a magical thing, seriously.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I always wear baggies. I'm more of an MTBer, but I've been on the road bike way more this year wearing the exact same gear I wear on my MTB. I even wear my CamelBak on every ride. Some roadies probably laugh, but I don't really care because I'm laughing way harder at the roadies in lycra than what they are at me. ;) Although, I've never had anyone say anything to me, but I think that has more to do with the fact that I'm 6'8", and most people can't keep up with me anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    If you are comfortable, keep doing what you are doing. Just ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I only wear cycling knickers or soccer 3/4 pants.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bibs FTW. Best part, no waistband and ooooh they feel sooo good.

eminence grease
    So you're not a fashionista and you prove it by wearing something different? Interesting spin.

I wear bibs on road and dirt (and cross too.) I take a look at what professionals do and assume that they choose their clothing and equipment for a reason. Right tools for the job?

And I'll admit to chuckling at people on road bikes in baggies although I should be more sensitive to their obvious body issues.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji
    Heck, I don't even wear baggies on my MTB.

This is where I'm at now. I used to wear a regular baggie short (non padded) over the tops of a pair of lycra cycling shorts. Now its without the baggies.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    This is where I'm at now. I used to wear a regular baggie short (non padded) over the tops of a pair of lycra cycling shorts. Now its without the baggies.
    I destroyed 2 perfectly good pairs of shorts doing it that way...Granted, they were $5 Target shorts, but still. I tried looking for replacements, but can't justify spending $50-60 on MTB shorts, so I'll stick with my roadie stuff.

On another note, I've always wondered why, when threads like this come up, is there at least one MTB'er who comes in and points out how much faster/cooler they are than roadies wearing lycra?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Do your thang. The only fools I chuckle at (scoff at actually) on the road are those moronic roadies not wearing helmets, or as I put it, those who don't yet suffer from permanent brain damage.
    Ou et le flamme rouge?!!