RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003

Barbieri CarbOne Mini Pump - Anyone Have User Feedback?

Sorry for covering this topic once more but....

I currently have a Topeak Mini Masterblaster. It is not offered this year I don't think. It weighs 115 grams and can pump a tire hard enough to get home, but not to 100+. It takes alot of hard strokes and I somehow manage to bend the valve in the process. (could be my technique)

Someone posted a thread on one of the bike forums a few weeks ago (not sure which forum) about the Barbeiri CarbOne he said it was the easiest mini he ever used. It weihs only 59 grams and the company claims 145psi and the poster said he could nearly nail that amount without struggling too hard. It is made of carbon fibre so it matches my 03 Giant Composite. The weight differnce between my mini master blaster and the barbieri is next to nothing, but if its easier to use I want one.

In fact I ordered one from Performance, but I am holding the shipment until next Monday because no one will be home until next week at the address I am sending it to.

So the question is should I get the Barbieri CarbOne or take it out of the order. I paid $20 with the price matching and 20% code, but if its no better than what I currently have I am not interested.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2001
    In the interest of full disclosure, I've never so much as seen the pump that you are talking about much less used one.

I'm skeptical of pump manufacturer's claims and 'Ive even grown skeptical of user's subjective statements. Whenever somebody tells me they've inflated a tire to 140psi with a mini pump, I want to reach for an air pressure gauge. It seems to me that the laws of physics can't be violated no matter who makes the pump.

The speed with which you can inflate a tire is determined by the cubic displacement (bore X stroke) of the pump chamber. Minis are at a disadvantage because they typically have a shorter stroke.

The ease with which you can pump a tire to 100psi is determined by the pump's bore. If the pump has a cross section of 1 sq.in., you have to push the handle with 100 pounds of force to reach 100psi. A skinny pump will be easier to pump than a fat one but, if the stroke length is the same, it will take longer.

bike bike bike bike
    i posted a thread about mini-pumps a while back and the CarbOne had good things said about it. seeing as how i was ordering a bunch of other stuff, i too decided to order one from Performance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    You get it yet inbred?

bike bike bike bike
    nope...was supposed to be here today. ordered it sunday, with 2nd day delivery.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    I'm having Performance hold an order to be sent Friday (2 day delivery) because no one will be home before next week where I am having it sent. It HAS to be there by Thursday or I am fugged. I have a bud going down from Canada to visit family for Easter in NYC and if its not there the day before Easter it becomes a major hassle. Sure hope if it leaves Friday I get it before the following Thursday.

Tourist

I have one

When you get the carbone pump, it looks so ridiculous you think you've wasted 20$, it looks really bad. But there are a few good things
    - most of the valve disappears into the head of the pump, this makes the pump very 'stable' against the rim, and you won't bend the valve. Really nice.
    - the head is well designed for holding it with the fingers. Really well designed.
    - all the body moves, not just the handle. Quite convenient for changing your hand position

OK, it's a bit short, so you have to pump many times. But I was VERY surprised to be able to pump up to 110psi, I didn't really believe it was possible to get more than say 80 with a mini frame pump.

In short, I am VERY PLEASED with it.

Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by BaadDawg

I currently have a Topeak Mini Masterblaster. It is not offered this year I don't think. It weighs 115 grams and can pump a tire hard enough to get home, but not to 100+. It takes alot of hard strokes and I somehow manage to bend the valve in the process. (could be my technique)

Someone posted a thread on one of the bike forums a few weeks ago (not sure which forum) about the Barbeiri CarbOne he said it was the easiest mini he ever used. It weihs only 59 grams and the company claims 145psi and the poster said he could nearly nail that amount without struggling too hard. It is made of carbon fibre so it matches my 03 Giant Composite. The weight differnce between my mini master blaster and the barbieri is next to nothing, but if its easier to use I want one.

In fact I ordered one from Performance, but I am holding the shipment until next Monday because no one will be home until next week at the address I am sending it to.

So the question is should I get the Barbieri CarbOne or take it out of the order. I paid $20 with the price matching and 20% code, but if its no better than what I currently have I am not interested.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

i have one

Quote Originally Posted by BaadDawg

i have to admit i was interested in it primarily for the weight and carbon look but couldn't decide to get based on such lame reasons...then i saw it at rei the other day and thought what the heck, if i don't like it i can always return it easily. so far i like it - i was able to get up to 100+ pretty easily and figure that is good enough to get home or finish the day. tomorrow i think i will try and see if i can get it up to 120 w/o too much effort.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

It's okay

I bought one because it matches my Giant TCR Composite. How's that for vanity? On my other bikes I use Blackburn Airsticks. I use mini pumps as starters and then give the tire a blast with a CO2 cartridge. The CarbOne feels like a piece of junk, but it works surprisingly well. I was able to get my replacement tube up around 80-90 psi without too much effort, and rode home without a problem. I didn't need the CO2. For the price and surprising function, I'd say go for it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    Hey thanks all I feel more reassured. I'm surprised people say it doesn't look nice. I too thought that the carbon would look nice on my 03 Giant Composite. But mainly I want something that can pump my Pro Race tires up to 95-100 without killing myself or bending the valve (which I always seem to do with frame and mini pumps).

I can say that my Topeak Mini Masterblaster didn't do it for me the couple of times I needed to use it on the road last year. Too much work and bent the valve.

Now all I need to learn is how to seat the tire on the rim without pinching the inner tube with a tire leaver. I am very lame when it comes to re and re of the tire i.e tube pinch.

I even bought one of those Park tools extending levers that hooks on to your hub and telescopes out to the rim to help slide the tire back on. Haven't needed it yet though. I guess one of the reasons I suck at changing tires is I have been lucky over the years by not having had many flats. Probably just jinxed myself here with that statement.

bike bike bike bike
    i put a little air in the tube before putting it in the tire. keeps it from twisting, or whatever, and i haven't pinched tub..oh...*knock knock*

my stuff just arrived from Performance. weeeeeeeeeeee.

as i was saying, i haven't pinched a tube between the bead and rim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    So Inbred give me a review of the pump. What else did you get?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I was the original poster saying the CarbOne is a great mini pump.

Full disclosure...

Mountain bike - Has an Einstein master blaster (Topeak?) <- Used countless times, I've had at least 10 flats with this pump, and I adjust tire pressure with it every MTB ride too. I have no issue with this pump at all, although I doubt it would work well on a road tire.

Trek - Has a Blackburn FP-1 full size frame pump <- 3-4 flats
    New Giant Composite - Got the CarbOne out of vanity <- 1 flat

I have now had flat tires and used all these pumps within the last 2 weeks. I stand by what I said before, the CarbOne is the best PUMP of the three. I get the best pressure out of it, it seals up to the valve stem best, and it's easiest to pump.

I got a flat on my Trek last week, and used the FP-1, I think the CarbOne is so much better that I'm going to get a CarbOne for that bike as well and ditch the Blackburn. Sorry if that blows your mind but that's just my experience. I can get the tire to full pressure with the CarbOne to continue my ride without feeling like the tire is low on pressure slowing me down. The FP-1 I get the tire to 90psi or so and it feels like I'm slowed down by a tire with low pressure, and I'm worried that I'm going to pinch flat. If I can believe the pressure gauge on my Joe Blow pump in the garage, I have really gotten the tire >120psi with the CarbOne.

I also feel like it's easier to get leverage with the smaller pump. The FP-1 is so long that I find it harder to push hard on it and hold both the pump and wheel steady. I get real worried I'm going to break the valve stem with the amount of force I have to apply. The CarbOne is small, it is easier to stablize and push hard on without feeling like I'm going to break something. There are other things to consider besides size, my FP-1 obviously does not seal up to the valve stem as well as the CarbOne, so you waste more air.

I already have gotten 3 flats this season, one on each bike, I ride a lot and don't want to get stranded, so I'm not picking pumps out of vanity, I really think this little CarbOne rocks. If it had sucked I would have replaced it with a full size frame pump by now.

I'm sure someone is going to tell me I'm full of it and it's impossible for a small pump to beat a big one, it must suck cause it's Carbon and Carbon sucks, etc, etc.. but that's just the way it works out for me based on real world experience rather than internet arguing.

Ben
    Last edited by benInMA; 04-01-2004 at 10:14 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    Well Ben you are definitely the reason I sprung for one. I do remember your original post from a few weeks ago. My doubts were created when some guy in another forum was saying (I had not asked or started the thread) that he thought it sucked and was no better than any mini, maybe worse than some. Hence my doubts. Why change one sucky mini for another if it sucks too.

Might only be $20 but if I don't use it I'd rather spend it on something else. No lack of things to spend money on when you're a bike addict.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Here's to you not having to use it very often...

I've changed enough flats now I can do it in less than 5 minutes without taking full finger gloves off. Not real proud of that though, I'd rather not have flats at all. Pinching, etc.. has a lot to do with which tire you are using too. Good tires == easier to change. $20 slicks for mountain bike are a major PITA.

Ben

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    I have Michelin Pro Race Tires 700 x 23. Not sure if those are easy or hard. Like I said I manage to fug things up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Those are easy. You should be able to do them without tire levers after some practice.

Conti Force/Attack are even easier. But I think I like the Pro Races better for actual riding, which is more fun. :P

Ben

bike bike bike bike
    the glittery plastic doesn't much do it for me, but the ergonomics of the head just make sense. at least, more sense than the one on the other only other mini-pump i've had (Specialized something or other...it was yellow and grey). if you want, i can get some close-up pics tonight so you can see the body of it clearer than on the Performance website.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    Ya that would be nice Inbred. You get a chance to pump it up, or sounds like you took delivery at work.

bike bike bike bike

http://www.pbase.com/inbred/carbone

i actually slept through one class today, and just had a test in the other, so i skipped that one. quite studious. then again, i like being home for packages after having a drivetrain stolen a month ago. i haven't had a chance to use it yet, but on my mtb ride today, i got a flat for the first time in 2yrs. how ironic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    Man that sucker is tiny. You only see the size when you see it against your hand.

I see what some say about the end looking like cheap plastic. Does it seem fragile like it will crack or snap in half?

bike bike bike bike
    feels solid to me.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

follow-up

Quote Originally Posted by lostrancosrd
    i have to admit i was interested in it primarily for the weight and carbon look but couldn't decide to get based on such lame reasons...then i saw it at rei the other day and thought what the heck, if i don't like it i can always return it easily. so far i like it - i was able to get up to 100+ pretty easily and figure that is good enough to get home or finish the day. tomorrow i think i will try and see if i can get it up to 120 w/o too much effort.
    i tried this morning and got 110+ w/o much problem.