RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Is BB30 becoming the common frame standard

you know, on bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    you know, on bikes.
    It was in 2015.... don't know about now...

Forever a Student
    I believe you're looking for BB386EVO.

Pretty sure PF30 outpaces BB30 even.
    use a torque wrench

Adorable Furry Hombre
    No, and hopefully pressfit will go the way of the DoDo soon.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    I've had nothing but problems with BB30. Better solutions out there.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    No, and hopefully pressfit will go the way of the DoDo soon.
    Amen.

Talk about fixing a problem that didn't exist.

.je
    makin' puppies
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Talk about fixing a problem that didn't exist.
    I don't think they were trying to fix any problem, I think they were finding ways to eliminate parts, vendors, manual operations, to make their product less expensive to manufacture. TBH I think it increases their complexity a bit, but cost less money even with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    you know, on bikes.
    If it ain't threaded, I dread it

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by .je View Post
    I don't think they were trying to fix any problem, I think they were finding ways to eliminate parts, vendors, manual operations, to make their product less expensive to manufacture. TBH I think it increases their complexity a bit, but cost less money even with it.
    They weren't trying to fix a problem. Nor were they trying to eliminate parts or reduce costs. The purpose of the BB30 was to reduce weight and increase stiffness. Which it does.
    BB30 with a 30mm cannondale crank is a pretty good design. The problem arises with all the adapters and such to make it work with other cranks.

From Cannondale website.
    Prior to 2000, bottom brackets almost universally consisted of a small diameter steel spindle, which was supported by ball bearings in cups which threaded into the bottom bracket shell of the frame (where the downtube, seat tube and chainstays join). The design was heavy and flexy, and the small size of the BB shell limited the size of other frame tubes which connect to it, which wasn’t a problem back in the days of steel frames but was a big limitation in the era of aluminum and carbon.

Cannondale’s solution was to make everything bigger. BB30 features an oversized 30mm aluminum BB spindle with a unique, stress-reducing wave-taper crank interface, running on oversized bearings inside of an oversized bottom bracket shell. Because of the larger diameters, we could use aluminum for the spindle to save weight, while also greatly increasing the spindle’s resistance to twisting, which improves efficiency. The bigger BB shell allowed for bigger diameter frame tubes for stiffness, and having the bearings press directly in to the frame eliminates the weight of the cups.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    BB30 is fine, but it does require very exacting tolerances in order to work. So in mass produced frames I'd be wary, but say on my Time NXS it has been flawless. I also run Hawk Racing BB30 bearings which are incredible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    They weren't trying to fix a problem. Nor were they trying to eliminate parts or reduce costs. The purpose of the BB30 was to reduce weight and increase stiffness. Which it does.
    BB30 with a 30mm cannondale crank is a pretty good design. The problem arises with all the adapters and such to make it work with other cranks.

From Cannondale website.
    While it does those things in theory (and you could say the problem they were trying to fix was finding something new to market), it also reduces the time needed to manufacture the frame, so it reduces cost. There's no need to thread or make everything nice and square or even a consistent diameter with a PF BB. There's a good CyclingTips podcast about this.

Personally, I prefer threaded BBs. I can't tell a difference when riding, and I doubt anybody else can either. I have a few bikes now with PF BBs that are fine, but my old Crockett had a different ID on each side (off by about 1mm), making it quite difficult to work with. There's a more recent, larger threaded T47 option, but that's just one more "standard".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Hawk Racing BB30 bearings
    Learned something new today. I'm going to give this a shot. Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    BSA all the way. the small frame makers have the goods. really unfair for the bike makers to impose press fit standard on us who don't have justification for buying all the specialty tools to work with them! And no rider ever requested this BB30 PF30 feature I bet, unlike disc brakes. (OK I admit I did like the pressfit bearings in my Klein, 27 years ago)

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    BSA all the way. the small frame makers have the goods. really unfair for the bike makers to impose press fit standard on us who don't have justification for buying all the specialty tools to work with them! And no rider ever requested this BB30 PF30 feature I bet, unlike disc brakes. (OK I admit I did like the pressfit bearings in my Klein, 27 years ago)

When I did my custom Seven, BB30 was a new thing...LBS asked if I was sure I wanted Ye Olde BSA...Seven too asked "are you sure?". Latest and greatest are not always the same, I guessed at the time.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    One problem with BB30 (introduced by Cannondale 17 years ago in 2000), is that Shimano, TruVativ (GXP), Campagnolo and others (sensibly IMO), never bought into the idea, with the result now that we have a situation where the vast majority of frames on the market, are not designed around the cranksets and we have a variety of kludges used to make things work together.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM