RoadBikeReview Member

Best bibs for 50 miles

Just rode 50 on Sunday. I have a couple of different bibs.
    Assos and Aerotech both are good. Big.... Price difference. I'm over weight at 210 and 6 foot need to get to 200 I'm sure everything will feel better on 50 mile rides.
    Looking at new Aerotech elite bibs for long rides or maybe Assos FI.
    Again big difference in price.
    I've only been riding hard for about 6 months. It is getting easier but my butt did hurt a little after Sunday.
    Is there a big difference in shorts with all the different materials or is this something u just get used too?

Slightly Opinionated
    Some bibs are better than others (as you've noted.)

Some bibs work for people, some don't. For example, I can't wear any of the new Pearl Izumi bibs for more than 30 miles. I can't wear Castelli at all (don't fit me well enough to be functional.) Assos and Giordana work splendidly well though.

Bibs are all about trial and error.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

need to clarify

Quote Originally Posted by horvatht View Post
    Just rode 50 on Sunday. I have a couple of different bibs.
    Assos and Aerotech both are good. Big.... Price difference. I'm over weight at 210 and 6 foot need to get to 200 I'm sure everything will feel better on 50 mile rides.
    Looking at new Aerotech elite bibs for long rides or maybe Assos FI.
    Again big difference in price.
    I've only been riding hard for about 6 months. It is getting easier but my butt did hurt a little after Sunday.
    Is there a big difference in shorts with all the different materials or is this something u just get used too?
    I am not sure what you question is. If you butt hurts from just being on the saddle, a new pair of bibs won't solve that. You may just need more time in the saddle or perhaps you have the wrong saddle. The purpose of the chamois in the bibs is to reduce friction not provide cushioning although it it certainly true that in recent years companies have been adding more padding. If your butt is sore due to abrasions or chafing than maybe a different pair of bibs is in order. I'd try some chamois creme first before spending a lot more money

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks Dave G I think u r right.
    We road real hard Sunday. No pain until about the 40 mark. I use a cream so no chaffing. But my Butt bones were sore for about a day.
    Good to know about the different bibs the Assos bibs fit great. So I like them I probably will now try the aero tech Elite at half the price of the Assos bibs I want. A little gamble but I think u make sense. I just got to get used to a slight discomfort on harder rides.

Slightly Opinionated
    Quote Originally Posted by horvatht View Post
    Thanks Dave G I think u r right.
    We road real hard Sunday. No pain until about the 40 mark. I use a cream so no chaffing. But my Butt bones were sore for about a day.
    Good to know about the different bibs the Assos bibs fit great. So I like them I probably will now try the aero tech Elite at half the price of the Assos bibs I want. A little gamble but I think u make sense. I just got to get used to a slight discomfort on harder rides.
    If you're getting sore (almost like a bruising soreness) it's because you've ramped up your miles a little too quickly. It just takes time for your body to adjust to longer mileage.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii View Post
    If you're getting sore (almost like a bruising soreness) it's because you've ramped up your miles a little too quickly. It just takes time for your body to adjust to longer mileage.
    Thats what is feels like.
    We did a seriously big hill that morning at about the turn around.
    All is good today.
    Just thought it might be a pad issue.
    Thanks everyone for clearing that up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    I really like Boure bibs. They're reasonably priced & made in Durango, Colorado. Check their website & give them a call.
    They'll do custom sizes & they have an unconditional guarantee. If you don't like them, return them no questions asked.
    They sponsored my wife for the Race Across America.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    One of my favorites is the Capo Padrone bids. Wore them on a 60 miler this past weekend and they worked very well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hate em.

I look like Borat in reverse. I'm 234# with a "smaller" belly. Shorts for me.

PI, Bontrager, Primal Wear.

Just batting at the bunny
    I've become a real big fan of Capo's stuff.....great fit/comfort

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Defy3Guy View Post
    Hate em.

I look like Borat in reverse. I'm 234# with a "smaller" belly. Shorts for me.

PI, Bontrager, Primal Wear.
    You hate bibs? I'm a little smaller than you (started at 225 now at 209) and I first started wearing shorts. One day my dog ate a pair of my shorts and I replaced them with some PI bibs. There were far and away better, no cutting into my stomach and they stay in place. Now all I ride with is bibs and I'll never go back to shorts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I really like the Bontrager Sport bibs. They are dirt cheap and I find them more comfortable than bibs costing 3 times as much.

Hanging 10 bra
    I used and still use the Desoto 400m bibs! When I was much larger than I am now, I bought a pair in hopes to give better comfort for longer rides and these were a winner in my eyes. Even now down to 185 from 310lbs I still use them (not the same size of course haha), when my team gear isnt necessary....or going for the long haul.
    Last edited by scottzj; 04-12-2012 at 08:43 AM.