Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Best bikes for less than $100, post your pics!!!

I have read about people finding old treasures at garage or estate sales, in fact I found a decent Schwinn World at a pawn shop. I was wondering how good of a bike people have gotten for less than $100 total, including "upgrades".

Here are the rules:
    1.) PLEASE have at least one picture...it is no fun if we can't be jealous of your diamond in the rough
    2.) Post your original bike/frame cost
    3.) Post your upgrades and their costs (optional is where you found them)
    4.) Free, hand-me-down, or swapped parts can be included only if the approximate purchase cost if you had to buy them is added in. For our purposes, an extra Ultegra gruppo that you had laying around because you just ponied up big time to upgrade to Dura Ace would obviously cost well over $100 and be disqualified.
    5.) Estimate how many hours it took to bring bike to current condition.

This thread could be fun and I know that after a few good posts people will see that it is possible to get into road biking on a very reasonable budget.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    oooo! Sounds like a great idea for a thread. Hmm too bad I'm not home. And technically its not my bike.... but.... my dad picked up a Specialized Crossroads for $50 from a friend. It was the dirtiest bike I've ever seen as it pulled some hardcore NYC commuter duty but after a good wash/lube/new chain and some adjustments she rides like new and for well under $100. Really makes me happy too since it just might be the ticket to getting my dad a bit more serious about riding bikes. I'll have my sister take a pic of the bike when I get a chance and then post it here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    1988 Schwinn World - purchased at a pawn shop for $20 (due to a seriously out of true rear wheel)
    Upgrades include:
    1.) white Cinelli cork tape purchased at LBS for 50% off $12.99 retail - $6.50 + tax (the black spongy stuff was all ripped and falling off anyway, but who needs an excuse to put white tape on a road bike anyway)
    2.) white Carrera saddle purchased as a part of a lot of 3 on eBay for $2.99 + $8.31 shipping
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1
    3.) Shimano PD-M515 pedals purchased on eBay for $1.00 + $6.00 shipping they are not pictured but already shipped
    4.) Weinmann style 810 brake calipers purchased on eBay for $10.50 + $3.95 shipping I have not put on the bike yet because they just came in yesterday, got to love a little wrenching on Saturday!!! They are a little longer reach so I will be able to ditch the 27's when I find a great deal on some 700c's.

I have spent about 4-6 hours on the bike. Most of that for cleaning and re-lubing, but also some time truing the rear wheel, installing the tape, and adjusting the deraileurs, brakes, and seat. I still need to move the shifters to the down tube, but that is for another day.

So, I am at a grand total of $59.85.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best bikes for less than 0, post your pics!!!-1988-schwinn-world-crank-set.jpg   Best bikes for less than 0, post your pics!!!-1988-schwinn-world-front-left.jpg   Best bikes for less than 0, post your pics!!!-1988-schwinn-world-side-view.jpg   Best bikes for less than 0, post your pics!!!-weinmann-810-brakes.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Current plans for the Schwinn include:
    1.) Brake upgrade
    2.) Moving the shifters to the down tube
    3.) Wheel upgrade from 27" to 700c

Future plans may include:
    1.) sand it down and repaint or primer
    2.) conversion to a single speed
    3.) conversion to a cyclocross

Any input on a color if I do repaint it. I would love to do one of those Klein colors or some crazy one off color, like metallic lime green or something.

Also, any input on what it would take to convert it? How functional it would be?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I bought a Schwinn World Tour several months ago at a little roadside flea market for $25. Except for the fact it was black, it was in as good of condition as that one. It is now a fixed gear bike. Unfortunately, I was so excited that I took it straight home and began stripping it and forgot to take "before" pics. I've got a little more than $100 in it, but here is the finished product.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best bikes for less than 0, post your pics!!!-fix-010.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whit417
    I bought a Schwinn World Tour several months ago at a little roadside flea market for $25. Except for the fact it was black, it was in as good of condition as that one. It is now a fixed gear bike. Unfortunately, I was so excited that I took it straight home and began stripping it and forgot to take "before" pics. I've got a little more than $100 in it, but here is the finished product.
    Great looking, I guess by the seat post that the frame was "a touch on the small side". The paint seems to be very nice. How long did it take to strip and repaint? What did you use? Any tips?

Are those the original wheels? they look too minty

The bullhorns are very cool. Where did you get them?
    Last edited by handsomerob; 01-07-2006 at 11:26 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member

I'm partial to the A-star in the background--or is it a twin star? Pilot?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teoteoteo
    I'm partial to the A-star in the background--or is it a twin star? Pilot?
    Now be realistic, the helo had to exceed the aforementioned limit of $100 by 3 or 4 zeros.

The next picture from me will have something red and Italian in the background. Something from the Maranello area.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The helicopter is red and French. Eurocopter AS350 B2. Single engine A Star. No I'm not a pilot, a flight paramedic. I took the bike to work to use their digital camera because mine was acting up.

Yeah, the frame is a tad small. Maybe more than a tad. I had been searching for a bike to convert to a fixed gear for a while. When I found it I was so excited because it was in such great shape and so cheap that I didn't really even notice. The way I have it set up it actually fits pretty good, although it does look a bit unorthodox. No name seatpost for about $15, Nitto Messenger bullhorns from Gaansari bikes online. Original stem in the picture but picked up a used Cinelli stem at the LBS yesterday for $12. The wheels were ordered thru my LBS. They are both Weinmann rims, the front hub just says Shimano on it, the rear is a Suzue flip flop. Got both for about $120. The original wheels were in good shape. Just really heavy. Had Sugino cranks on it, which I kept. As for the paint, the picture doesn't do it justice. I stripped the original with chemical paint stripper and a Dremel. Also used the Dremel on all of the cable guides, kickstand bracket, etc. Painted it myself with a can, but it scratched way too easy so I restripped it then took it too an auto body shop that had done some work on my car. They used some really expensive, left over paint from some job that the guy said was $100 an ounce (I think). It is this really cool iridescent color that changes in the sunlight.
    Last edited by whit417; 01-07-2006 at 05:43 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by handsomerob
    Current plans for the Schwinn include:
    1.) Brake upgrade
    2.) Moving the shifters to the down tube
    3.) Wheel upgrade from 27" to 700c

Future plans may include:
    1.) sand it down and repaint or primer
    2.) conversion to a single speed
    3.) conversion to a cyclocross

Any input on a color if I do repaint it. I would love to do one of those Klein colors or some crazy one off color, like metallic lime green or something.

Also, any input on what it would take to convert it? How functional it would be?
    I think the red with the blinding white bar tape and saddle look cool. Repaint it the same red.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I know that 'copter well. My father and brother are both pilots. In my younger day my father owned an A Star that was on contract to the state of Oklahoma. I went to spend the night with him at the hospital as he was on duty. Sometime after I went to sleep he took a call to pick up a 16 year old. In the dark a something in the fuel system broke and the engine went out. He crash landed and broke his back. It still gives him problems but is a tough ole' bear that is still a pilot. My brother works for eurocopter. I went back in the transportation evolutionary chain. I love bikes.
    Last edited by teoteoteo; 01-08-2006 at 07:42 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The helicopter is red and French. Eurocopter AS350 B2. Single engine A Star. No I'm not a pilot, a flight paramedic. I took the bike to work to use their digital camera because mine was acting up.

Yeah, the frame is a tad small. Maybe more than a tad. I had been searching for a bike to convert to a fixed gear for a while. When I found it I was so excited because it was in such great shape and so cheap that I didn't really even notice. The way I have it set up it actually fits pretty good, although it does look a bit unorthodox. No name seatpost for about $15, Nitto Messenger bullhorns from Gaansari bikes online. Original stem in the picture but picked up a used Cinelli stem at the LBS yesterday for $12. The wheels were ordered thru my LBS. They are both Weinmann rims, the front hub just says Shimano on it, the rear is a Suzue flip flop. Got both for about $120. The original wheels were in good shape. Just really heavy. Had Sugino cranks on it, which I kept. As for the paint, the picture doesn't do it justice. I stripped the original with chemical paint stripper and a Dremel. Also used the Dremel on all of the cable guides, kickstand bracket, etc. Painted it myself with a can, but it scratched way too easy so I restripped it then took it too an auto body shop that had done some work on my car. They used some really expensive, left over paint from some job that the guy said was $100 an ounce (I think). It is this really cool iridescent color that changes in the sunlight.
    I really appreciate the info. Especially about the paint. I have worked with people in the auto body business for the last 8 years, so I can probably find someone that would help me out. I would love to see a more detailed shot of the paint. As I said before, I love the Klein colors. I am usually a traditionalist and would be the last person to buy a car with a crazy paint scheme, but I really would like a flipflop color on the bike.

Forgot to ask, what chemical stripper did you use? Did you use the same kind twice? and how long did it take? as far as the dremel goes, did you sand it with one of the metal bristle wheels?

me rikey to bikey
    I'm guessing it's about a 92 Peugeot - not a road bike, but I only ride it on roads - as my commuter.

STX components, Rhyno Lite Rims, it was 85 bucks, Canadian. Put about 25 into it for rubber and fenders (different ones now than pictured). Tossed on some parts stuff and here it is...at least 3000km on it since purchase:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best bikes for less than 0, post your pics!!!-city_slicker_01.jpg  

Roadie with unshaven legs
    Dec 2005

'89 bridgestone RB-1

My brother bought this bike at a garage sale for $50. He did not know how to pump air into the Presta valves so the tires went flat and the bike sat in his garage for a few months (he's a recreational cyclist and he bought it for his son who would never have rode it even if he had the will to do so). I bought it from my brother for $40, pumped air into the tires and rode it away. As pictured, it is as I got it except that I traded the Look pedals for a set of Shimano SPDs I had laying around because I only have shoes for SPD cleats. This picture was taken back in August or September. I spent about three hours cleaning off the road grime and dust from the bike before the picture.

As it is now, the bike has new tires after my nephew flat-spotted the rear tire (different brother's son - I let him ride it as he is trying to get into the sport and is saving for his own road bike). I have replaced the Avocet saddle for an E3 saddle and the bottom bracket is a titanium ActionTek. I put a set of sealed ballbearing pulleys onto the rear derailleur as well as a new SRAM chain. Other than that I have installed a Cateye computer on it so that I can keep track of how far I ride and what my cadence is. As of right now I have about $300 into this bike. Other than the tires, I really did not need to do anything to this bike to ride it but I want to lighten and modernize this bike so I have been changing things as I like.

Future plans: 9-speed STI (105 brifters are on order, I have a 9-speed Ultegra hubset, and I need a cassette, derailleurs, and crankset to make it work); lighter wheels; taller stem; lighter seatpost; paintjob.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by handsomerob
    I really appreciate the info. Especially about the paint. I have worked with people in the auto body business for the last 8 years, so I can probably find someone that would help me out. I would love to see a more detailed shot of the paint. As I said before, I love the Klein colors. I am usually a traditionalist and would be the last person to buy a car with a crazy paint scheme, but I really would like a flipflop color on the bike.

Forgot to ask, what chemical stripper did you use? Did you use the same kind twice? and how long did it take? as far as the dremel goes, did you sand it with one of the metal bristle wheels?
    I know what you're saying about the Kleins. I have a Klein MTB with that paint. It usually looks purple but in the sunlight is a copper color, looks like a new penny. Sometimes in certain light looks sort of blue also. It's pretty beat now from some hard riding, but between the paint and the seamless welds, Klein builds some beautiful bikes. As far as the paint stripper it was something I got at Lowes. I don't recall the brand but I still have some at home. I'm at work right now and can check and let you know. As far as the Dremel goes, I have one of those big accessory kits with a billion different tips and I think I used about every one at some point. Mostly the wire brushes for the seams, and little sanding wheels. The guy at the body shop was tripping out on how far I stripped it. When I took it to him it was completely bare metal. I originally told him I was wanting it painted orange, but it was more important to get it done cheap, regardless of the color. I was talking to the manager and he said he would talk to the painter. After about a week, and several phone calls, he told me they had been really busy and he didn't get a chance to talk to the painter so I told him I would just come and pick the frame up. When I got up there a couple of days later it was painted that color. Apparently they had a little of that paint left over from some car they had just painted. Cost me $50 which I thought was pretty fair.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squidward
    My brother bought this bike at a garage sale for $50. He did not know how to pump air into the Presta valves so the tires went flat and the bike sat in his garage for a few months (he's a recreational cyclist and he bought it for his son who would never have rode it even if he had the will to do so). I bought it from my brother for $40, pumped air into the tires and rode it away. As pictured, it is as I got it except that I traded the Look pedals for a set of Shimano SPDs I had laying around because I only have shoes for SPD cleats. This picture was taken back in August or September. I spent about three hours cleaning off the road grime and dust from the bike before the picture.

As it is now, the bike has new tires after my nephew flat-spotted the rear tire (different brother's son - I let him ride it as he is trying to get into the sport and is saving for his own road bike). I have replaced the Avocet saddle for an E3 saddle and the bottom bracket is a titanium ActionTek. I put a set of sealed ballbearing pulleys onto the rear derailleur as well as a new SRAM chain. Other than that I have installed a Cateye computer on it so that I can keep track of how far I ride and what my cadence is. As of right now I have about $300 into this bike. Other than the tires, I really did not need to do anything to this bike to ride it but I want to lighten and modernize this bike so I have been changing things as I like.

Future plans: 9-speed STI (105 brifters are on order, I have a 9-speed Ultegra hubset, and I need a cassette, derailleurs, and crankset to make it work); lighter wheels; taller stem; lighter seatpost; paintjob.
    $40 bucks and all it needed was air in the tires.... perfect example of what I was saying about getting into the sport cheap.... nice job. Wanna trade? ;)

Beetpull DeLite
    Here's my '84 Mongoose ATB. Here's the price rundown:

$30 - complete bike in original condition
    $20 - new chainring
    $15 - new pedals
    $15 - new brake pads
    $5 - new bottle cage
    $5 - new stem
    $5 - used rear wheel
    $3 - new rear cog

Everything else was donated by other bikes or is still original. I'm not adding those costs in because that doesn't make sense. I did just ride it cleaned up for a while, then decided to go singlespeed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best bikes for less than 0, post your pics!!!-mtn3.jpg  

Beetpull DeLite
    And now, my '77 Raleigh.

The frame/fork and wheels were donated. The new parts cost around $100, mostly from the crankset and pedals. The other parts were traded or borrowed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best bikes for less than 0, post your pics!!!-part2-1.jpg  

Bikespace member
    ok, so i found this rugger spezial for $10. complete shimano dura ace and 600 arabesque components, chrome fork, campy drops. cleaned it up and had the rims replaced - a bit over $100.

was too big but road it on a number of rides, then sold the frame and fork for almost $200. kept all the shimano stuff for another classic frame my size.

my $10+ Ruegger

hey it won't let me hyperlink to photo i'll try again later
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse D Smith
    You can always tell the guy that started his day with a proper shave versus the guy who started his day slappin' it to internet porn.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moschika
    ok, so i found this rugger spezial for $10. complete shimano dura ace and 600 arabesque components, chrome fork, campy drops. cleaned it up and had the rims replaced - a bit over $100.

was too big but road it on a number of rides, then sold the frame and fork for almost $200. kept all the shimano stuff for another classic frame my size.

my $10+ Ruegger

hey it won't let me hyperlink to photo i'll try again later
    Outstanding buy, did the police question you after the theft.... ;) Where did you get it?

Please try and find a picture for us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    And now, my '77 Raleigh.

The frame/fork and wheels were donated. The new parts cost around $100, mostly from the crankset and pedals. The other parts were traded or borrowed.
    good thing the frame is so tall, that thing looks light enough to float away..

I know old frames aren't that light, but have you actually weighed it??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Double post

On your left!

Just posted this in retro...

Asking price was $3.00.

Cyclepro Cross bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best bikes for less than 0, post your pics!!!-cyclopro-sparkle.jpg  
    Not in the mood?! Mood's a thing for cattle and love play... not fighting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Matching frame, tape, and pedals.... Functional with style for cheap. Another great submission.

I would love to see someone that found something high end for cheap. Like an old Serotta at a garage sale for $50. Keep posting everyone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I got this bike as a basket case,,,, literaly! I was handed the parts in a bushel basket, and told if I could put it back together I could have it. (round about 1988)
    New cables, seat, bar tape, tires, and snoopy valve caps, was all I put into it. All of which came from Hart's department store. (anyone rember Hart's?)
    It was origonaly yellow, so while i was getting it running right, I painted it like Dale's old Wrangler car. Then I striped it down to bear metal, and repainted it in the red.....

This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. (1 Timothy 1:15)

You can't spell Christmas, without Christ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast