RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

best cheap racing bike for the $? CAAD10 the best?

I really love cycling and I have decided to start racing. Crashes seem fairly common and I would like to find an inexpensive but very responsive bike that I wont have to worry about. I am thinking that a CAAD10 may be very hard to beat. aggressive position, durable and I would feel fine getting a used one since it is aluminum. I wont be doing any climbing so I am not too worried if its 16 lbs vs 14 lbs bike. I am assuming I could add ultegra Di2 later and wont worry about drilling if needed.

I may also try the Super six non evo....I would be a little concerned with buying a used carbon bike.

I am also going to try a tarmac SL4 - one with old Ultegra Di2 lists for $4100 and I have some wheels could put on it. this would be a lot more than I want to spend but I love electric shift. this bike would rally have to blow the others away to buy. I seriously doubt I will go this route because I am interested in buying a frame and buliding it up part by part.

any other obvious choices I am missing?
    Dogma 65.1 CAAD 10 Cervelo RS Felt CX F65X
    Epic Expert Flash Alloy 1 Boris Fatbike

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    The CAAD is hard to beat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007

Re: best cheap racing bike for the $? CAAD10 the best?

CAAD10 really is tough to beat. I had a 60cm outfitted with sram red that weighed in at 15lb 9z. Not the lightest, but it was a great all arounder. I just sold it last week and miss it already.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Been hearing good things about the top 3 Allez models.

Dr. Buzz Killington
    The CAAD10 is the best aluminum racing bike out there. You won't have to worry about competing against 14-lb bikes because the UCI minimum is 15 lbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    The CAAD10 is the best aluminum racing bike out there. You won't have to worry about competing against 14-lb bikes because the UCI minimum is 15 lbs.
    Unless he is racing UCI races (unlikely) is pointless no one checks weight outside national championships.

However the whole weight issue is silly past a point as most of us could make more improvements in other areas that would be more benefit than a few grams of bike weight.

Masters Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by 32and3cross View Post
    Unless he is racing UCI races (unlikely) is pointless no one checks weight outside national championships.

However the whole weight issue is silly past a point as most of us could make more improvements in other areas that would be more benefit than a few grams of bike weight.
    Agreed.
    However, I also agree w/ Sauron that the C-Dale is great bike. Those guys do wonders w/ Aluminum.
    Capt Willard: "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    I've never had a cannondale, but I've had a few of the new Specialized e5 allezs, and they're great bikes if you don't mind a bit of a harsh ride. Same geometry as the tarmac.

A buddy of mine just sold one with ultegra di2 on ebay and didn't get squat for it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    "Racing" usually means uci sanctioned events. Most people don't use the term racing if they are doing charity rides. Also Every hill climb I've been to they've weighed my bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I am going to do some cat5 crits. I dont want to wreck my dogma and be without my true love...also dont need to be the guy that shows up on a 13k bike with zero racing experience and gets destroyed by the entire field

RoadBikeReview Member
    You want a low costing racing bike because of crashes yet are thinking about later adding Di2 components...that makes no sense whatsoever!

There are other bikes out there that will give you more for the money then Cannondale. Bikes like the Marin Stelvo for $1600 that comes with Ultegra, see: Marin Bikes Stelvio Ultegra Road Bike - Giantnerd®

Bikes Direct has several great options for that price and all would have at least Ultegra components, but for some reason their low on stock on a lot of their bikes.

Blue Axino Ex is a nice bike, bit more expensive but maybe you can find a 2012 on clearance. In fact I would try to find any bike your considering in a 2012 model for the closeout price.

Kestrel Talon is a great bike too.

If you want a bike that will hold up to most crashes Lynskey has their Silver Series Breakaway racing bike with mostly 105 components for just $2395, more then what you wanted to spend but the durability and comfort of titanium can't be beat, and would make a great frame to build on as needed, plus the only frame in you're going to find in that price range that was made in America; see: https://www.lynskeyperformance.com/s...imano-105.html

The Cannondale isn't a bad bike, I just think you can get a better bike for the money if you look around a bit more.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk98yvozq1g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p92Stnnigjs
    "They don't do things that way anymore. This is the Age of Science Know-How, electronal marvels."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    [QUOTE=froze;4399684]You want a low costing racing bike because of crashes yet are thinking about later adding Di2 components...that makes no sense whatsoever!

I love electronic shifting and I would not worry about 6770 getting damaged in a crash. if I bought a supersix and destroyed the frame I would just transfer all the components over to a new frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I race on a CAAD10 105, and so to a lot of other guys. It's a great tool for the job and it keeps my S3 out of harm's way. I also see a lot of Allez and Supersixes on the line.

That said, it's hardly the only good choice. Find an affordable bike that fits you.
    Arguments among misinformed people do not constitute a "debate."
    --Kerry Irons

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."
    --BianchiJoe

Cervelo S3/Dura Ace
    Felt B2Pro/SRAM
    Cannondale CAAD10/105

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I just got a new 2012 caad 10 frame off ebay an I am really looking forward to building it up piece by piece. I will probably start with a used rival group and then move it to my CX bike when the wife coast is clear!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just got my 2012 CAAD 10 off eBay last month. Running it with DA7800 and mavic ksyrium elite wheels... It looks great and rides even better. I had a cheap carbon frame previously and the CAAD 10 is far superior and costs less. Id recommend it to anyone looking for an affordable race frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireform View Post
    I race on a CAAD10 105, and so to a lot of other guys. It's a great tool for the job and it keeps my S3 out of harm's way. I also see a lot of Allez and Supersixes on the line.

That said, it's hardly the only good choice. Find an affordable bike that fits you.
    Fire,

im looking at a CAAD10 5, CAAD10 3, and a Marin Stelvio Ultegra. Between the two CAADs do you think the $500 Ultegra upgrade is worth it?

fu
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovinglifetx View Post
    Fire,

im looking at a CAAD10 5, CAAD10 3, and a Marin Stelvio Ultegra. Between the two CAADs do you think the $500 Ultegra upgrade is worth it?
    For racing, I would definitely go with the 5. I haven't used the latest 105 group but from what I hear, it shifts very well.
    My other chainring is a 39...
    Strava profile

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a 2012 CAAD10 3 and absolutely love it. I don't race so couldn't give you any details from that perspective. I came to this forum for advice when I was ready to purchase (as most do), and I don't regret the purchase one bit. From an aesthetics standpoint, I LOVE! the decal design -- simple, elegant, and clean. I thought the Ultegra groupset was a bit clunky but I came from a DA 7800 groupset on my Six13 which runs like butter.

Road & Trail Warrior
    Ever since I've been on these boards, the Caad 10 has always been the most highly recommended bike here.
    "What is this? A center for ants?"

Dr. Buzz Killington
    I'd like to add from personal experience that Di2 has impressive crash resilience. When that drunk driver pulled out in front of me I collided into him at 28mph, and the bike landed on its right side (the expensive side). However, the LBS who did the damage assessment said the shifting was unaffected.