Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    The owned of the LBS had bought a new power steering pump for his F-150 and needed a hand putting it on. I started helping but with customers and the phone it was easier to just do it for him, just to help him out. I went to leave the shop after I finished and he gave me $189 set of Speedplay pedals I had been looking at earlier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A friend of mine was giving away his 2005 Trek 8500 single speed mountain bike. So I emailed him and picked it up the following day. I don't think I can get a better deal than this one.
    2013 Giant Anthem Advanced X29.

2008 Look 585 - Great Bike!

2010 Lynskey R230 - Comfortable!

2012 Wilier Cross Carbon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    about 1993 I picked up a Trek 400 at a garage sale for $50. Fixed the two flat tires, put about 5000 miles on it and gave it away to a friend. It was stolen from him...easy come, easy go.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    1) $30 WTB Pure V saddle. It's nice to find a saddle that fits my ass like a glove for only $30.
    2) $40 WeeRide. It wasn't that great a deal but the joy on my 10 month old daughter's face is priceless.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I understand this may not strike everyone as a deal, but my Colnago CT1 Lux Titanio frame for $700 rocks my world.

I love the way the thing rides...!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    New here to this great forum, and back to road cycling after long 5 years due to work, moving to 3 different countries and 5 different cities.

Back in 2003, I got a Felt F1R (Easton Scandium) complete with Dura Ace for something around $1500, and considering that the country I was living had (actually has) steep import taxes I believe it was a great deal. Found out later that the seller was buying a high end Look frame and just wanted to recover something from this bike. I still have this bike and use it, though rarely, when I visit my family and friends in my home country.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    About 15 years ago brought a heap of irc paperlite and firestorm folding tyres for $3.00 each also alloy road bike forks threaded 700cc $3 each.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RagbraiNewB View Post
    At the PX in Frankfurt the wife and I bought his and hers Peugeot uprights ("Yale" and "Princeton") for bike path jaunts, and the cashier rang Yale up for $202.00 and Princeton for $2.02. She didn't notice, and we didn't speak up.
    and you probably claim your integrity is beyond reproach.
    ----------------
    I am participating in the 2012 Tour de Cure to raise money to Help Stop Diabetes. Please Click Here to view my page or if you would like to make a donation.

It's Good For You!
    I got some good advise on RBR...for free!
    Ski Good or Eat Wood

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    About 10-12 years ago I was looking for a new commuter bike. My commute had increased to 36 mi round trip and at that distance I figured a road bike was in order. My LBS had a Panasonic that fit me pretty well. The frame was really nice and rode very smoothly. The wheels were decent, the group was Shimano 6 spd. It was dirty, but I couldn't see anything wrong with it. I paid $30 for it. I put a longer stem & different bars, which I already had at home, & new tires. I rode it to work & back for 10-12 years, winter & summer, packed it up & rode it from N. Central Oh. to Niagara Falls & back. Two years ago I was hit by a car & unfortunately it didn't survive. Not bad for $30.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    The best deal I every got on a bike was when I got my first bike for my 4th birthday. Since then, I have not been able to find a better deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    XTR front D, new in box, $21.00
    Bicycle more, drive less, breathe easier.

I had a customer give me a Bridgestone RB-T because he didn't think it was worth the cost of a new front wheel, even though I tried to convince him that it was.

(It was almost pristine.)
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Offline View Post
    Blows my SRAM gruppo (minus shifers) for 450 outta the water
    Got the 2010 SRAM Force, new, full groupo, for $385. Killed on that deal.

Won a Garmin Edge 500 at a Performance Store grand opening,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Best deal lately was a set of wheels.

Mavic reflex tubbies
    Campy Record (silver)

Absolutley no brake wear, straight, properly tensioned, no cassette body gouging, smooth bearings w/ record skewers.....for 150.00.
    Heck a NOS silver front hub goes for almost that on eBay.

Glueing some FMB sprints on them and going to beat the snot out of them in cross.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My best deal was an Eddy Merckx AX ti frame and fork with Campy Record headset for $500, in my size. I've probably ridden that bike 20,000 miles by now, and it is my go-to bike for long rides.

My other great deal was a Waterford RS-22 custom frame and fork with Chris King headset for $650, in the same size and geometry I would have spec'd if ordering one. A new Waterford set up like this one would have cost me at least 4X as much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best cycling deal you've ever got?-waterford_rst22_web.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    1) 5 years ago I picked up a bianchi trofeo (in very good shape) with 7 speed suntour sprint for $50
    2) new Velocity Spartacus wheelset for $100
    3) new Colnago Force fork $50 -- but I still can't afford a frame to go with it
    4) new 2004 Litespeed Classic with full ultegra for $1700 which was a pretty good deal
    5) used ultegra 9 speed shifters for $10 (bought these several years ago as a backup set)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    2000 Bianchi Veloce with Campy daytona in brand new condition (nubs on tires factory grease on chain, not a spec of dirt) for $300 in 2010. From a rather portly man whom claimed his ex-wife bought it for him in 2001 but he refused to ride it, and that now that they are officially divorced he could sell it.
    or
    The $5 terry fly saddle i put on it (swap meet)

Slippery Old Devil
    ZebraKenko road bike with a DB Ishiwata frame at a garage sale for $20.00. Gave it to a Boy Scout leader who toured Europe on it.

New Bianchi Eros with Velocity Aerohead wheels and Record hubs $1,200.00.

Nine years ago at a swap meet, a dealer had boxes marked $5.00, $10.00, etc., up to $25.00. Whatever was in the box, that was the price. I found a pair of LOOK CS 6 carbon pedals with adjustable Q-factor in the $20.00 box. They may have been used a couple of times. Still using them.

Spotless LOOK 481SL demo frame for $700.00 (retail $2,799.00). Rode it last night.

Three years back I found a NOS Campy Nuovo Gran Sport derailleur at a garage sale for $5.00. I sold it a week later on ebay for $77.00.
    Last edited by oily666; 09-08-2011 at 01:03 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    some might not consider it a deal but i got jamis komodo lt mtn bike with full xt components for $350. i want to say the bike was about 7 yrs old when i got it but to this day, it runs smoother than my brother's 2010 specialized hardrock disc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Paid $106 for a SRAM Force rear derailleur, got it today and they sent me a Red black edition. Sounds good to me!

banned from the museum
    Aug 2007
    I bought a Univega Modo for $50 at a garage sale, with Campagnolo 9-speed on it. I rode that bike for several years as a commuter, sold the group for $250, and the frameset for $150.

My son just got a Redline BMX bike at a garage sale for $30 that just needed new tubes, and brakes. This is 90's vintage, full chrome. He's really happy with it.

waterproof*
    The best deals are things that people give you for free.
    A frame, a great deal on a parts kit from a friend. Stuff like that.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    I got a NOS Quintana Roo steel frame and carbon fork off'n ebay, for $60.

It was from QR's brief foray into road bikes.

I also found a Colnago frame that someone had thrown in the garbage. It wasn't my size, so I gave it to some shop rats I know, who still ride it today.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

sidi dominators

$50 for a nice pair of sidi dominators on craigslist.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast