Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Dimples

Best cycling deal you've ever got?

Being a poor grad student, I'm always on the look out for good deals. I just picked up a used bike and am super exciting about both the bike and the deal I got. So, what's the best cycling related deal you've ever got?

Here's my new (to me) 2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2 with full Dura Ace 7900 and Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels running tubeless tires. The size is 58cm; however, ideally I would be riding a 56cm, but I have it set up perfectly for me now and I couldn't pass up the deal I got - $1k from a very legit buyer who's upgrading to a Venge! It just needed to be cleaned and tuned a bit but I have it running perfectly now. This came at a perfect time as I'll be getting a check for $1,050 from the insurance company this week due to some damage to my old bike when I got hit by a car. As a broke grad student, I couldn't be more appreciative to the seller and more happy about this bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Happy to hear of your good fortune!

Bicyclists with only rare exception are very giving, helpful people in my experience, especially to fellow cyclists.
    Discover Muscle And Sports Science, the source for Legitimate,
    Patent Technology muscle, fitness & sports supplements.

http://www.musclemass.com

Since 1993, Your Success is our success.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Blows my SRAM gruppo (minus shifers) for 450 outta the water
    "For me, I don't go the judgmental route. Everyone's got their own story. I go about my life in my own way. I know where I'm going; I know what I want. With that being said, sometimes there's going to be a little humor involved. At first glance, second glance, third glance, you may not get it. That's OK. It's not for you to get. It's for me to enjoy."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    My SS cross frame, a newer style Kelly SS cross bike in the toothpaste color, paid $650 for it, frame and fork with a King HS, uncut fork. It still had the foam on the frame tubes from shipping, fellow racer put it on CL local and said he had put wheels, seat, post bar and stem on it to see if it would be a decent fit for him(about my size 6ft-but maybe just a little taller) This was one of the last newer Kelly frames that were made before he shut down the shop, and had been originally sold on E-bay and my racer friend had bought it from the E-bay buyer for $50 less-but he had put the King HS on it-which he said had been on another bike of his for about half a year-yeah that's fine with me. I still see Lawerence who I bought it from sometimes at races and after he saw how I set it up to fit me, well he knew he could have made it work, and has said he kicks himself for selling it, starting season 3 on it this year. Oh another awesome deal I got was a dura ace 7800 crank and BB for $100 from a bike swap-yep took off the big ring, got some short bolts and it's now on the Kelly-used scratched, shoe rubbed, but still awesome-have a new King BB ordered for it since after 2 seasons of Seattle area ridding and racing it's in very bad shape-can't wait to get it working and racing soon.

PhotonFreak
    I'm a n00b here, just thought I register to post about my great experience.

For the last few years I've ridden some beater bike to work and on and take trips around town etc, I found I wanted to get a real road bike. After suffering sticker shock following visits to various LBS's, I found an unbelievable deal at this website (maybe some of you have heard of it): BIKES DIRECT -- Save Up To 60% Off Road Bikes, Bicycles, Mountain Bikes and Bicycles with Bikesdirect.com, New with full warranties

I ended up settling a 2011 Windsor Knight:

This bike was at a steal at $899, compared to comparable Trek or Specialized Models at $1999.

According to the competitive cyclist fit calculator, I fit right in between the 52cm and 54cm models. I went for the 52 as I figure the smaller frame will be lighter weight

While I had some concerns at spending a large fraction of my biweekly paycheck on a bike without being able to see the bike first, let alone take a test ride, I figured, screw it -- If the fit doesn't work out I can always sell the high-quality Ultegra components on ebay for more than the price of the bike!!
    Last edited by PhotonFreak; 09-04-2011 at 09:12 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    while i was waiting tables, i was telling a regular customer, a local dentist, about my bike... he asked me if dura ace 7800 would be an upgrade for me (i was running tiagra/105), and he gave me his whole group since he was going 7900. i still run it and am grateful to this day.

Dimples
    Quote Originally Posted by tindrum View Post
    while i was waiting tables, i was telling a regular customer, a local dentist, about my bike... he asked me if dura ace 7800 would be an upgrade for me (i was running tiagra/105), and he gave me his whole group since he was going 7900. i still run it and am grateful to this day.
    That's great

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    My good deal just happened last week. I ordered the '11 synapse 5 carbon from the LBS and when it came in it had a chip out of the frame near the bottom tube. So the owner called in the rep. The rep said it wasn't save to use. So, they offered a '12 synapse 5 at the same price (since the prices went up $200 I thought it was a fair deal) but then they called back to give me an offer for a '12 synapse 3 for only $500 more. I jumped at the chance for the '12 synapse 3. Now I have to wait for another bike to get in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Best deal I've gotten- I ordered a replacement Ambrosio Evolution rim from All4Cycling last year- they sent me two rims for the price of one. Of course I'll be ordering from them in future, so in the long run they'll profit from their generosity.
    Last edited by Bill2; 09-05-2011 at 09:14 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Best deal I ever got. Motobecame LeChamp SL. Less than 1/2 the price of an equivalent bike in a Canadian bike shop. Six years later I'm still using the gruppo on a different frame. (Sold the MB frame for $400!)

PhotonFreak
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
    Best deal I ever got. Motobecame LeChamp SL. Less than 1/2 the price of an equivalent bike in a Canadian bike shop. Six years later I'm still using the gruppo on a different frame. (Sold the MB frame for $400!)
    Looks like another Shill for BikesDirect... I don't trust anyone's opinion unless they have >1500 posts...

RoadBikeReview Member

Sunglasses

Just received my new Rudy Project Rydons for $100 CDN. Came with 3 sets of lenes and a watch. These usually sell for around $200 with just 1 set of lenes. Got them from Wiggle.com

BIGchainRING
    I got an aluminum 62cm frame on eBay for $69. It is Fetish Cycles and works great. I've been hit by 2 cars, had numerous wrecks including sideswiping a fence that snapped the CF forks. This frame won't quit.

And neither will I.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotonFreak View Post
    Looks like another Shill for BikesDirect... I don't trust anyone's opinion unless they have >1500 posts...
    You have a long way to go yourself...
    Embrace the fact that everyone on these forums has their own unique desires, needs, experiences and environment so what works for you may not work for others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tindrum View Post
    I'm bartending/waiting tables as well to pay for grad school at the moment, and I can tell you that I have dreams about that sort of thing happening every time I go in to work! The OP's deal on that Specialized is just absurd, I thought I was doing well to get a 10 year old Trek 2500 with Chorus gear for $550! Makes me wish I'd kept searching and not thrown that bid up on Ebay...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Serotta Legend SE ST & F3 fork as a lightly used demo with full factory warranty for $1,690 direct from Serotta. I will never find another deal like that again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Recently picked up a craigslisty deal. Scattante CFR Elite with ultegra/fsa K-lite for $555 never been ridden. Guy showed me a reciept where he paid $2499 plus tax from Performance when they first came out. Had never found time to ride it, never even bought pedals. Had to take off all the protective plastic that came in shipping.

RoadBikeReview Member
    OP got an amazing deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotonFreak View Post
    I agree. His plan to infiltrate the forum by posting 1,100+ times, then waiting 6 years after buying from BikesDirect to finally sing their praises has come to fruition! Don't be fooled everyone, beware!!!

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    I wound up buying a complete 105 groupset for right around $400 by picking and choosing sale parts online...I watched all of those online sale sites like a hawk for probably 4 months, but with that huge of a deal, I wound up finishing up my entire bike for less than the price that the LBS quoted me for the 105 group.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I was lucky enough to get a '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp for $600. It was an awesome deal and couldn't have come at a better time when I was looking at getting into cycling for an alternative low impact exercise. I know my seller well and let it be know as to how thankful I am whenever given the opportunity.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    My EC90 SLX3 handlebars for 50 bucks, Ultegra triple 6603 crankset for 60, and my True Temper Canadian made Norco frame for 70.

Everything else I buy is a complete ripoff.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    At the PX in Frankfurt the wife and I bought his and hers Peugeot uprights ("Yale" and "Princeton") for bike path jaunts, and the cashier rang Yale up for $202.00 and Princeton for $2.02. She didn't notice, and we didn't speak up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    OP did get an amazing deal.

Here is my deal. I got a custom Tom Kellogg Spectrum Super Ti for a $30 raffle ticket. Well, actually two tickets so $60. Road bike with room for fenders. Paul Medium Racer brakes.

Jeff

Raw ti

[IMG][/IMG]

Painted - had the WC decal removed from the down tube after this photo.

[IMG][/IMG]

Close up of paint - gold flecks

[IMG][/IMG]

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by centurionomega View Post
    I got an aluminum 62cm frame on eBay for $69. It is Fetish Cycles and works great. I've been hit by 2 cars, had numerous wrecks including sideswiping a fence that snapped the CF forks. This frame won't quit.

And neither will I.
    You might want to invest in a bright orange vest and some leathers
    "When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isnt lifting himself up, hes pushing the Earth down."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast