Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Best Oakley lens for cycling?

Saw a couple Oakley threads here recently and rather than jack one of those I thought I would start my own. Anyways, I was wondering what the consensus was for the best Oakley lens for cycling. I am a long time Oakley user of about 10+ years but mostly for golf and baseball. I have a set of half jackets with the golf array (black iridium, fire iridium, g30 golf) and really like the g30 as an all around lens. It especially works well for mtb since it is 30% transmission and accentuates greens which works well for mtb in Ohio where it is mostly in the woods but is not quite dark enough for my preference.

I have been using the fire lenses for now but am looking to switch. The lenses are pretty scratched up and while I like them I am not sure they work well enough in times when it is not bright sun, especially earlier in the morn or the evening.

So I just wanted to hear suggestions. Was thinking polarized might not be bad and also thought about the Positive Red or Ruby lenses.

Thanks in advance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    When riding through the mountains of Japan, you sometimes have to pass through tunnells and sometimes downhill at high speed. Due to that and their over all quality, I like the photochromic Transitions lenses with vents.

lint picker
    I think one of the best is blue iridium. The base of this lens is vr28, and the contrast enhancing effect is excellent. You can use it in fairly bright days right up to sunsets. Some Oakley cycling-specific shades come with black iridium (some variants of the Jawbone are an example)... this lens sucks for versatility.

Transition lenses are great, but the shift takes awhile and isn't instantaneous.

Fierce Pancake
    I have some Oakley polarized lenses. They are great for glare but so ridiculously susceptible to scratches, nicks etc. that I doubt I will go with them again.
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Poast of the Day™.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like the basic Black Iridium, my main glasses (Radar) are Black Iridium polarized. I've had other combos and keep coming back to these since I find them visually neutral. You adapt to color shifts though sometimes what I see and my brain thinks isn't right motivates me back to a neutral type of tint. I spend most my days starting at an Adobe RGB calibrated monitor so color differences bother me as it is part of my work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    black iridium is too dark for me unless i'm on the open road in the glaring sun, which is not terribly often. i like the vr28's and gold iridium, and i'd like to try the fire iridium sometime. there are lots of tree lined roads and things around here and i really like the contrast enhancing lenses.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    The Iridium lens tend to scratch too easily.

The gray lenses are too dark; you'll take them off for that reason and find yourself squinting.

I found the Persimmon lens to work well with a much wider range of ambient light.

Stay Fit!
    I wear vr28 most of the time as they have proven to be the most versatile for me during all sorts of lighting. Also have persimmon HD for low light cloudy rainy days. The persimmon is so effective at enhancing light that you can ride way past safe light if you aren't paying attention to time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have 2 pairs of Jawbones, both are great for sunny and bright days...

Livestrong - black iridium
    Lemon Peel - fire iridium

The good thing about Jawbones is that you can change the lenses easily and quickly.

Full Fledged Member
    I got the persimmon lenses because of mountain biking, but I found that they work great for road biking as well. They do work great at dusk and with contrast.
    1.21 Gigawatts!

F45
    banned
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kookieCANADA View Post

The good thing about Jawbones is that you can change the lenses easily and quickly.
    Yeah, like you can the great majority of Oakleys.

Blue eyed devil here. I prefer lenses in the 20-30% transmission range. - g30 titanium iridium, vr28 polarized, shallow blue polarized, "new" blue iridium (with the vr28 base), g30 iridium, grey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Light +Red is a good lens for general use unless it's really bright.

As has been said, Black is good for bluebird days, but too dark when you're riding in and out of shade.

I'm hoping Oakley release the Ruby Iridium VR50 Transitions as an accessory lens soon.
    Laterally stiff yet vertically compliant.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I'm torn between adding Fire Iridium and the Light +Red to my selection of lenses for my jawbones.

I have the clear to black transistions and polarized ice.

Need something for more in the middle range.

Teach me how to Bucky
    Considering how much cash you can sink into sunglasses, do we need a thread about "Cat6 riders with Cat1 shades!"
    "Why don't these people grow up, bicycles are for children, & trained animals. Get off the roads, and you won't get run over. These freaks with their space clothes speeding down the streets hit people all the time. I won't drive in your bike lane, you stay the hell off the road." Mervin Bell of Galloway, OH.

-Special thanks to osteomark for the avatar

The Dropped 1
    G30!

The new Ruby Iridium that all the top road pro's from the Tour were riding are supposed to be pretty amazing, but I haven't tried or seen them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Vented Black Persimmon Transitions have been my favorite. Persimmon has been mentioned a few times, and I like the transitions version even better for sections of ride or times of day when the sun is at its brightest and the standard persimmon lenses might not block out as much sunlight as you'd like.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like an irridium lense during the bright parts of the day, persimmon for overcast, and clear at night.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    How long do the transition lenses take to change, 10 seconds? 30 seconds?

chamois creme addict
    @heybrady - if you like G30 but want something slightly darker I would say to try the Blue Iridium. As other have said, it is VR28 base so it has excellent contrast. I have worn this lens during sunny evenings almost all the way to sunset.

@untchbl - I have Light Pos Red Iridium, they are OK but I think the range of your Clear/Black Transitions kind of covers what the Reds would be used for. Fire is darker and contrast enhancing, really makes the trees and greenery pop.

@limba - the Transitions are at least 30s for a complete change. I find they are probably a little too dark in most low light situations but then not dark enough in very bright sunshine. I only have experience with the Black Iridium Persimmon Transitions.

I have a lot of Oakley product....too much. I have learned that I prefer contrast enhancing lenses most of the time and if I had to go down to only TWO lenses I would choose Blue Iridium and Persimmon.

lint picker
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    The Iridium lens tend to scratch too easily.
    Key with iridium lenses is never to wipe or clean them with anything remotely abrasive (this includes the oakley lens bag). Use lukewarm water to rinse them, hit them with moist fingers and a tiny bit of very mild soap to remove oils, and rinse. Then flick them dry and blow any remaining water droplets off, there won't be much due to the hydrophobic coating.

supplesse.com

Jack of no trades
    M Frame.

Just Plain Bitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    I have a lot of Oakley product....too much. I have learned that I prefer contrast enhancing lenses most of the time and if I had to go down to only TWO lenses I would choose Blue Iridium and Persimmon.

I would choose Blue Iridium and he Persimmon transitions, but that's only IF I had to choose. I don't thank god and depending on the day I will bring 2 sets of lenses with me on a ride. I use mostly Jawbones these days so the lenses take up no space. The New Fast Jackets will be replacing them as more lenses become available for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Vr28 or G30 are two of the best

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    To those who are interested in the Fire, they are great in sunny days but are a little dark when it is overcast or in the evening hours. I would love G20 type with a mirrored finish. The red base is awesome!

I think I may give the vr28 or blue a try.

BobtheBuilder
    Aug 2010
    The new Fast Jackets have a G30 Polarized option. They look very similar to the ice polarized but are a true G30 lens. First G30 polarized Oakley has made.

In Arizona I stick to +Red Polar or Black Irid Polar for day time rides.

The VR50 Ruby were a special edition Jawbone/Radar but would be an AWESOME lens if they released it. Oakley only made 250 of each set of sunglasses with those lenses.

I ride HI Yellow in my Jawbones at night. Morning, just before sun is up I am wearing my Split Jackets with G30.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast